Route driver evaluations

Ask your customers. That's priority number one.

Has that worked for you? In my experience unless its just really bad, the customer doesn't want to say negative things, especially if they think it may impact employment status. 

Has that worked for you? In my experience unless its just really bad, the customer doesn't want to say negative things, especially if they think it may impact employment status.

I don't have employees but a lot of people tell me when they wanr something.

PPeople don't go out of tgeir way to let you know when the ser ice is great but they often let you knoe when it's bad!

No news is good news.

Check product dates and pretend to just be the repairman that doesn't like the driver. People will tell you what goes on.

"pretend to just be the repairman that doesn't like the driver. People will tell you what goes on."

I laughed! That might work if most of them didn't know who I was. 

A evaluation needs to be strictly factual, if you put opinions in writing you will eventually be paying for a attorney. Here are a few things to consider if you are going to develop a formal evaluation process.

The easiest to document is time and attendance but only if you have a policy in place. Do you have a written policy about what is considered late and the cutoff time to call in sick. Do you require doctor's note to return to work after a sick call in? If not, you need to have some written guidelines and have the employees sign that they have read and understand it. What about personal days for doctor's visits etc?

The next thing to evaluate is performance. Again you need to have written standards and have the employees sign. How many stops per day are they expected to complete as a minimum standard, or how much money are they expected to pull? Are meter readings turned in with cash? Are cash control procedures followed properly?

Do you have cleanliness standards? If so, it is easy to do a ride along and inspect the machines and document. What about the condition of the truck? Did you find any expired product in the machines? Do you have any documented customer complaints?

Do you have a uniform? Does the employee show up to work in proper uniform and practice basic hygiene?

If you need more help let me know.

mission, 

do you have a specific form you use? 

So much of this is common sense as far as attendance, punctuality, cleanliness. I am more interested in process and things specify to route drivers (and forms if anyone has something specific they use). Thanks. 

mission, 

do you have a specific form you use? 

So much of this is common sense as far as attendance, punctuality, cleanliness. I am more interested in process and things specify to route drivers (and forms if anyone has something specific they use). Thanks. 

Unfortunately the manual falls under the terms of the noncompete/nondisclosure I am bound by.

The first thing that you need is the handbook to establish the standards.

In very general terms, I would do a ride along for at least 1/2 a day and use a "observation checklist" to document performance, or lack thereof, at the locations and I would do at least 5 locations, I would use a "general observations" sheet to document time and attendance, uniform and vehicle issues.

I also carried a "random inspection" checklist that was the same as the observation checklist but was used when I performed random inspections or was responding to a complaint without the employee present.

The key to any of this is to document, document and document. If you take the time to do this then you will have your butt covered in the event you have to terminate and are subject to a unemployment claim or worse are subject to a wrongful termination or discrimination suit. In all the years that I had employess I never had anyone successfully file for unemployment against my company which can easily double or triple your unemployment insurance rates.

If you need more help PM me your e-mail and I can direct you to additional resources.

Archived