Cotton Candy Machine Issue...Dollar Bill Acceptor the Problem?

RikaKazak

So I got a service call today, last night one of my cotton candy machines would take people's dollars, but then never give them a cotton candy.

When I went to the location today, the machine worked perfectly for 4 out of 5 vends.  (they turn off all breakers to the place at night, then turn them all back on in the morning..so I don't know if reseting it helped out or not)  There was a lightning storm last night, 3 trees were hit very close to the place, and it literally split some of them in two...I have no idea if this is related to that...also the power flickered a bunch and was unreliable last night in the area.

On one of the vends, the machine took the money again, but didn't give me any cotton candy.  This happened RIGHT when I turned it back on...so I wasn't sure if I was just being impatient and it didn't have time to set up...or if something was wrong.  Usually when I'm impatient it still works though. (it'll just "cha ching" twice or three times real quick then display the appropriate number)

Basically what is suppose to happen is, you put a dollar bill in, a "cha ching" sounds happens, then a "1" on the display board shows.  Then you put another dollar bill in, "cha ching" again, then a "2" appears.  Then you put the final dollar bill in, "cha ching" and 3 appears.  (then it says, "please press start")

When it messes up though, there's no "cha ching" sounds, and the display board stays at 0.

I was curious, is this a dollar bill acceptor issue?  Is it a board issue?  Could it be either?  How do I even start testing it out?

I have another cotton candy machine (different model, different boards, different DBA) can I simply turn off the machine on location, plug in the other DBA I know that works, turn it back on, and test that way?  Or are DBAs different?  Could that hurt the machine?

Basically guys I'm completely lost, have no idea what I'm doing, and my best account is sort of down (I left the machine on, told the location what's going on, and told them I wasn't sure if it's a one time because of the lightning storm issue, or if it'll be a long term issue and to call me right away if it happens again) :(  Any help would be very much appreciated...I'm trying to be proactive/stay ahead of this.

Just seen one of the feiloli models go for 800 at auction last saturday.. Boy does resale suck on those machines!!  he was making cotton candy and giving it to the crowd before the sale to show it worked perfectly etc.,,just no buyers there I guess.

Just seen one of the feiloli models go for 800 at auction last saturday.. Boy does resale suck on those machines!!  he was making cotton candy and giving it to the crowd before the sale to show it worked perfectly etc.,,just no buyers there I guess.

You could of snap picked that up and resold on ebay for $3K.  But you'd have to be willing to crate/ship it.

Any advice on my problem?

Just seen one of the feiloli models go for 800 at auction last saturday.. Boy does resale suck on those machines!! he was making cotton candy and giving it to the crowd before the sale to show it worked perfectly etc.,,just no buyers there I guess.

How was the auction over all Ron? That one is a haul for us. We are booked in Gatlinburgburg next month though that one has been good for us.

You could swap out the bill heads with the one you know that works and try that first. It won't hurt anything and that will help narrow down the problem. Sometimes the cord that plugs into the side of the bill needs to be pulled out and then reseated back into the bill head. Make sure the power is off before you do that. I just had a DBA doing the same thing and I reset the plug and been fine ever since. With a storm something could have shorted out, but start with the swap first and repost what happens and will go from there. I run a few of these cotton candy machines and overall there perform rather well.

Archived