How Common is 240v Service?

Hi folks,

I'm new here and hope it's okay to start off with a question...

Can anyone give me a feel for how often 240 volt (single phase) service is available at potential machine locations?  I notice that most offices, hotels, etc. have areas carved out for vending machines but have no idea how common 240 volt service is...  I am contemplating the placement of some machines that require either 240 volt service or stupidly expensive upgrades to work on 120 volts.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!

Matt

Hi folks,

Can anyone give me a feel for how often 240 volt (single phase) service is available at potential machine locations? I notice that most offices, hotels, etc. have areas carved out for vending machines but have no idea how common 240 volt service is... I am contemplating the placement of some machines that require either 240 volt service or stupidly expensive upgrades to work on 120 volts.

Matt

In the states, thmachines are mostly 110, so probably no 240

If you're in the states then it's unlikely that you'll encounter 240v unless a location is not too smart and thinks a machine can be on any old outlet in a wall. All US made machines destined for the US are 110v. If a machine is built for export then it will be wired for the most common voltage found in that country.

Hi folks,

Can anyone give me a feel for how often 240 volt (single phase) service is available at potential machine locations?  I notice that most offices, hotels, etc. have areas carved out for vending machines but have no idea how common 240 volt service is...  I am contemplating the placement of some machines that require either 240 volt service or stupidly expensive upgrades to work on 120 volts.

Matt

240v is present in almost any building in this country, even your house.  What you won't find are any preexisting 240v outlets.  If you must use 240v machines you'll need to hire an electrician to run a separate line rated for the proper amps.  What in the world are you trying to use that needs 240v ?

If you're trying to use imported machines, that's a bad idea.

It's more of the parts supply chain if something goes wrong: you won't be able to get parts for it quickly enough. Certainly there won't be anyone that stocks the parts locally so you might have to get it shipped in from overseas (costing an arm and a leg, not to mention having irritated customers).

Something to keep in mind. I stick with Crane, Royal, and Vendo.

Often commercial building are wired with 208 3 phase power that supplies the 120 volts.

Ideally your equipment will be labeled 208 - 240 volts 60 hertz.

The next 2 questions will be asked if anyone ever gets socked by this equipment.

Is this equipment UL listed?

Does this equipment comply with the federal law that required all new vending machines have a cord mounted GFI protection?

Walta

Archived