inherited old national 145, no bill acceptor

So I just inhereted an old national 145 with some old 4-tube changer mounted to the side. Due to the location, the machine can't be moved without huge problems.

Here is the thing. This machine has NO SPACE for a bill acceptor in the traditional spot below the display. The display is directly above the coin insert.

I'm sure I could get this thing mounted if I wanted to drill, cutout, and install a bracket... but is this a bad idea? The validator would have to go on the left side and need a long harness. I'm thinking about just leaving it alone. I doubt a competitor is going to try anything. Pepsi and 7up both do their own soda.

Some of the 145's were retrofitted just as you said with a validator on the left side of the glass.  If you don't have a factory validator opening on the right side then it's not difficult to cut a hole and use a bracket on the left side.  We would just have to see if we can still get a long harness to go across the top of the door from validator to coin mech.  You would use a 110v Mars and probably a kit to interface the validator credits to the coin mech as 4 - .25 credits. 

Let me know if you want me to get you the parts.

Once upon a time. LOL I put a BA 30 on left side. Did this a few times. Very limited space a no room for error. It will fit . If you use a series 2000 E-Proms on board will have to be updated.

I made my own harness Since the BA 30 and Maka use the Pulse interface all you have to do is have power for the BA30. Using the power plug on the MAkA I was able to determine which ones would work on the BA30 and then all you have to do is connect the 2 wire plug for credit line.

If the National 145 doesn't have a validator now you will also need a Dollar bill board and updated EProms, if this is the case you would be better off using a micro mech to MDB kit. It would cost the same and be more reliable. Then all you would need is a long MDB cable to go across the top of the door to a Mars Validator

Sorry one more thing. Those doors on National 145's are flimsy and if the roller and stops are not in place the door can be opened just by pulling down hard on the left side of the door. Having a validator on that side makes it very tempting.  So make sure the stops and rollers are in place.

Sorry one more thing. Those doors on National 145's are flimsy and if the roller and stops are not in place the door can be opened just by pulling down hard on the left side of the door. Having a validator on that side makes it very tempting.  So make sure the stops and rollers are in place.

Amen to that - the one I had never would line up right and half the time the coin chute would end up in limbo.  Got rid of that machine at my first chance.

I replaced the plastic roller with a steel roller on mine. Actually, while servicing the machine one day, I noticed the plastic roller broke and all I had with me were some large fender washers. I cut them down to the correct size with a pair of tin snips, stacked them on and they are working great.

I have a 145 with a ba30b on the left side. I was given the machine already upgraded that way. I bought 9 used soda machines and they threw in the 145. It has actually been a very good working snack machine.

I replaced the plastic roller with a steel roller on mine. Actually, while servicing the machine one day, I noticed the plastic roller broke and all I had with me were some large fender washers. I cut them down to the correct size with a pair of tin snips, stacked them on and they are working great.

I have a 145 with a ba30b on the left side. I was given the machine already upgraded that way. I bought 9 used soda machines and they threw in the 145. It has actually been a very good working snack machine.

The 145's/146's are great machines.  I don't believe that they are designed as well as the AP machines (due to how hard it tends to be to replace boards and a few other parts on Nationals) and they just don't look as nice as the AP machines do, but they are real work horses.  I have serviced MANY 145's over the past 8 years and I have rarely seen any major repairs.  I would argue that the National 145's are more reliable than even the AP 7000's.

Archived