DN 5591 EPROM replacement

I have to replace m EPROM on my DN 5591 so it will DEX with my new vending mgmt. software. I have never replace one before/not serviced machines in depth really. The machine is from 2004, not sure if the board is that age. I am going from version 030.61 to 030.81 SEE ATTACHED PICTURE TO SEE MY BOARD

I read the manual from DN, it states:

1. Remove power from the AC distro box

2. Remove battery clip so the boards power can drain and leave off for 10 mins

3. Install new EPROM and power up machine

4. Go to setup mode and push "F" for master reset then Test mode and "0" to clear errors

-To remove power, I can just unplug the machine (step 1)? From wall or within the machine? Does it matter?

-Is there a way to do this without wiping the entire machine? I was told some boards have memory that will not wipe when EPROM is replaced. I am worried about my coin mech, validator, etc needing to be programed after this wipe...or will this just wipe my machine settings like prices?

-I also have a USA Tech G9 credit card swiper and telemeter...will these come right back online?

Thanks. Any insight as to when you replaced EPROM with similar machines would be helpful.

post-8758-0-57701900-1408115969_thumb.jpg

You have to pull the logic board to do this task.  If you don't you will certainly bend the pins on the eprom.  Loosen, don't remove, the two top and bottom screws holding the logic board plate to the side wall.  Don't try removing the board by releasing the standoffs.  The new eprom and the machine reset will erase all prices you have set as well as put all machine settings, such as drop sensor retry limits, back to factory default settings.  Your prices will all change to 99.95. 

Use an eprom puller or a very small flat blade screwdriver to pry one end and then the other, of the eprom, little by little until it lifts out of the socket.  Make sure all pins on the new eprom are straight and align the dimple on the chip to the diagram on the circuit board.  Barely insert one full side of pins into one edge of the socket.  Apply slight sideways force against the first pins so that you can line the other edge of pins up.  When you have both sides of pins just started in the socket, carefully inspect all pins to ensure they are straight, engaged in the socket and that none are outside the socket.  Now seat the chip directly into the socket by pushing it straight in.

Reinstall the board and all harness connections, power the machine up and reprogram everything in the board.  Your coin mech, validator and card reader will not require any programming.  As far as they are concerned this is just a power outage.

Thanks all. I received my new EPROM from Crane today...I was surprised it was only $18. Then again, to get it from SC to MD the total with S&H was $37.

Anyways, I will see how it goes and update.

AZVENDOR-Do you have that EPROM puller? I have worked in IT for over 10 years SO I know I can do it, but I would like the best tool for the job.

Thanks all. I received my new EPROM from Crane today...I was surprised it was only $18. Then again, to get it from SC to MD the total with S&H was $37.

Anyways, I will see how it goes and update.

AZVENDOR-Do you have that EPROM puller? I have worked in IT for over 10 years SO I know I can do it, but I would like the best tool for the job.

Radio Shack has them. Or use to.

06SnowSpecToolsE_img_52.jpg

This is the one I used when I was a slot tech

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I replaced the EPROM and now the LCD screen blinks rapidly, does not display dollar amount  when money is inserted but the machine works OK otherwise. I called Crane, paid the $25 fee as I found an odler thread(cant find now) where someone said the LCD screen might be too old to work with the new EPROM software. I went from 030.61 to 030.81. Crane said it is fine and to reseat EPROM, check for bent pins, and power cycle the machine. Otherwise, I have to send back for a new EPROM.

Thoughts?

What is blinking on the display? Do the characters change as you procede through a purchase? You definitely want to look closely at all the eprom pins and make sure all are truly seated, not bent or doubled over. Check for a loose display connection at the board and the display. Power off and unplug the MDB connection at the board, then power on and watch the display.

All,

I replaced the EPROM and now the LCD screen blinks rapidly, does not display dollar amount  when money is inserted but the machine works OK otherwise. I called Crane, paid the $25 fee as I found an odler thread(cant find now) where someone said the LCD screen might be too old to work with the new EPROM software. I went from 030.61 to 030.81. Crane said it is fine and to reseat EPROM, check for bent pins, and power cycle the machine. Otherwise, I have to send back for a new EPROM.

Thoughts?

Which display does your machine currently have.. is it the IR Capable or the 8 Digit 14 Segment display?

Have you tried putting your old Eprom back in.. does the display work with the old Eprom or is it still blinking?

Hi all. I went on-site today and pulled the new eprom out, and reseated. Same results, machine works OK but LDC blinks. It turns on, displays the new EPROM version correctly with scrolling solid text (working normally)...then when that is complete it starts the generic marketing message it starts to blink. If you press a selection to display price it turns solid for a moment and displays price but blinks.

-It is the 8 digit 14 segment I think from what I read in the manual, not sure what IR capable is for this unit

-When I put the old EPROM in the machine works fine no blinking

-I called Crane and they said the new EPROM version (030.81) should work with the old LCD model and that if no pins are bent to have them send me a new one. I don't think the EPROM is bad...I think there is some  incompatibility. I will call them back on Mon.

-THis all started as I am trying to get my software to work with the machine as it wasn't DEXing correctly. I am also having issues with the eport G9 sendign DEX data but I don't think that is related.

I think you might need to upgrade your display as well. Before you call DN back pull your display out and see which one you have.

There are two different ones used in the later Bevmaxes. One is IR-capable (infrared data reading) and has two connectors on it, the smaller of which is not used (I've always figured it was for an IR transmitter). The p/n on the IR display is 804.925.240 and it has its own eprom ver. 60.01. The other display is a plain Jane display with only one connector.

I was told by our Dixie Narco distributor here that when upgrading software on a Bevmax (above 030.61) you will also need to upgrade your display & display harness. 

I have never had to do this myself as all my bevmax machines already had the IR Displays & IR Harnesses.

If your machine has the Grey Ribbon Harness going from the display to the board you more than likely have the 8 Digit 14 Segment Display.

I am not 100% sure if you will need to change your harness or not as the 5591 manual suggests that the IR display will work with either harness.

Maybe someone who else can confirm this for you?

I have the grey ribbon as I recall. I am pretty sure this is the original display that came on the machine on 2004. At this point I would like to order the new display and harness to test. I can return if it makes no difference.

I assume the "harness" is just the ribbon you mentioned going from the LCD to the board? Or is this a different part?

Does AZ or Kiwi sell these? I would order from you guys as you have been very helpful.

Upon further research in my books and a couple of machines in my shop, when you move to the 30.81 Energy Star software (and maybe 30.61 also as Kiwi said) you must use the IR display board and harness. I do have both of these in stock. The harness changes from a double sided ribbon cable to a normal looking harness with a different connector.

You may PM me for shipping information and I can get these out to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, well this was a fun one. It was not the EPROM or DEX harness, it was the board.

I did not have time to troubleshoot further myself, so I had to pay a tech to come on-site and after trying a new harness with no luck he put in a new board and the DEX passed instantly. This means I unfortunately paid for a new EPROM and subsequent compatible LCD screen for no reason, it needed a new board.

The board was bad since I purchased the machines used in March as DEX data has always failed since then, I just didn't know until the past 4/5 months as I started using VMS that relied solely on DEX data. I am talking to the place I bought the used machines from (30 day parts warranty expired of course)...not happy. Parts and labor to replace board were $600 plus tax.

Wow, well this was a fun one. It was not the EPROM or DEX harness, it was the board.

I did not have time to troubleshoot further myself, so I had to pay a tech to come on-site and after trying a new harness with no luck he put in a new board and the DEX passed instantly. This means I unfortunately paid for a new EPROM and subsequent compatible LCD screen for no reason, it needed a new board.

The board was bad since I purchased the machines used in March as DEX data has always failed since then, I just didn't know until the past 4/5 months as I started using VMS that relied solely on DEX data. I am talking to the place I bought the used machines from (30 day parts warranty expired of course)...not happy. Parts and labor to replace board were $600 plus tax.

$600 dollars! Wow 

What software are you running on the "new" board... does it have 030.61 or 030.81 Eprom?

Sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction... I feel partly responsible for suggesting you needed to upgrade your display to work with the Eprom you were supplied by Crane..  

I am curious to see what software you are using & whether it does make any difference on which display  you use..

To clarify:

-The repair tech charged $500 ($350 for board and $150 for labor). I bought other components (LCD, LCD harness and EPROM for more from other sources).

-I have the new board working with the new EPROM (030.81)

-The LCD flashing was corrected with the new LCD harness and LCD display...030.81 did require the new LCD parts

The machine will make that much up in reveune in a month, so it could be worse...it won't take too long to make the money back. I am happy my VMS is now working, that will save a lot of time with prekitting and sales tracking. Oh well, on to acquring the nex spot.

If anyone wants these older parts let me know, the LCD and LCD harness are fine for older EPROM, and the board worked minues DEX...not sure if someone would refurb (it comes with the new 030.81 EROM BTW as I got an extra).

I must say, my brand new machines with in house financing from distrubtor with fairly low interest and low down payment is nice compared to the used machines I ran into. Positive cash flow is what it is all about for now.

Well, you definitely overpaid for both labor and the board, in my opinion.  Now you might be in a rural area or a great distance from where the tech normally works that would up the labor price, but why didn't he take your board in as an exchange and then repair it for another service call down the road?  That's how we techs normally do this, unless there are special circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived