Do you put zip ties on your cardboard honor boxes?

I don't use them. I figure that it would be easier to steal the whole box, than it would be to move the mints and open just the coin section of the box to take the money. I don't think anyone would open the coin box and take just a portion of the money, so if someone wanted the money they would either take the whole box or just leave it alone altogether. If they did take all of the money out and just leave the box with mints in it, then I would know right away because I would likely have missing mints and NO money. The rare occasion that someone would move the mints and take just a portion of the money seems just to rare for me to worry about honestly...

I think if I were to begin to have someone else service the boxes, I would use ties at that point.

• 2 months later...

My 2nd homemade honor box I made the lid to the cash box to be hinged and secured with zip ties.   I don't really see it as an additional cost since I usually buy a pack of zip ties, use a few, and I keep them around so long that they deteriorate and get brittle, so if anything it's an act of preventing waste in my case. 

I have some locations where I zip-tie the boxes and some locations where I don't.  The crappy part is that there's no way to tell if someone is stealing money OR product (or what kind of a mixture of the two) without actually counting money and product before a theft happens.

Assume that there are 10 pieces missing from a box and only $8 ($2 missing).  Here are three possibilities:

1)  There WAS $10, but someone stole $2 out of the box, leaving a $2 discrepancy.

2)  People only paid $8, leaving a $2 discrepancy.

3)  Someone didn't pay for an item and someone stole $1, leaving a $2 discrepancy.

In any one of those three scenarios, there are 10 pieces missing and only $8 in the box... so there is no way to know if zip-ties will actually stop theft.  We also know that people can dig there fingers into a cardboard box and grab money if they really want to.

I had a few locations where the money actually came up missing (as did the product).  At any of these customers, I was told that people WERE paying (and they had a history of doing so) but someone clearly took the money.  Would a zip-tie have helped?  To be honest... not really... they could have just snipped the zip-tie off if they wanted to... but I DID have one location where the manager actually followed me to the box to see how much was in it and there was nothing in it at all... so she concluded that the cleaning crew did it (it's always the cleaning crew, right?).  She said she personally put a $10 bill in the box.  Regardless, I have none of these accounts anymore.

In my opinion, the zip-tie is just a deterrent so that people don't simply reach in and grab the money and go.  I get 100 zip ties for about $2, so they cost me roughly 2 cents per zip-tie.  Even if I wasted 999 zip-ties that were unnecessary, that 1000th zip-tie might be the one that prevented me from losing $20.. thus paying for itself.  Zip-ties are just peace-of-mind accessories that make me feel better.  

I don't zip-tie slow locations because it's a waste of time.  I zip-tie schools because they always come up short and I get suspicious.  I zip-tie dental offices because they have a bad reputation (with me).  I zip-tie boxes if any non-employees are going to be anywhere near the box for some reason.  I zip-tie the box at locations where I am recommended to do so.  

I would say I zip-tie 50% of my boxes total.

• 5 months later...

We always made up our new boxes at the office then just replaced the new and took the old.  All  had coin boxes opening in the back and we zipped each one (Harbor freight was cheap) .  Each item in our box was $1.  Each box was made up with the same product assortment.  As soon as we pulled the box we knew what was missing and how much money should be in the box.  We were happy if our product loss was $2 and under...we rarely had a box to count as exact.  Never had a stolen box.  Never had anyone cut the zip and take the coin box.

We did have missing unpaid products at every stop.  We would mention it to the owner on the next visit and often they would make it up to us.  Some business owners would give us $10 ot $20 telling us to let them know when our shortage ate that up and they would give us another $10 or $20.  We found our best stops were by far hair salons with 5 or more chairs.  They needed new boxes Monday and Wed each week.  

Archived