O how I can relate so well with the posts concerning the practices and false promises and the disappointments experienced. I have been spending energy, time, and more money for the past four years trying to keep my Planet Antares Office Deli refreshment machines working.  Lucky I only purchased 3 units. But now after 4 years the circuit boards have decided to malfunction in all three machines all at the same time with three different malfunctions.  Contacted Seaga after hours, days, and months of leaving phone messages, e mails, to only be told that would have to purchase new circuit boards.  The only bright note is that I was abled to purchase some used machines which help in paying for the Seaga machines that only know how to give you headaches. I am now at the cross roads of junking the seaga's and replacing with used machines DN, Royal, FSI which are stable money making machines. I do not know how Seaga stays afloat in business.  Oh yes Planet Antares filed bankruptcy in 2010.  Like the original poster just want to assist in keeping others from making a bad decision and buying Seaga Machines period.  This Forum is GREAT, just sorry did not know about it in 2009.  I have 5 great locations and 10 machines working great and then the 3 Seaga's  two partially working and # 3 dismantled for parts in garage. And like the other posters I sell healthy products and (junk) products and juices and sodas whatever market demands at which ever location.  I am a grin and bear it have no other choice but to succeed in spite of the racketeers. With the help of this forum and the persons involved with it, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel becoming larger.

I'm glad you survived the Seaga/ Antares fiasco.  I'm even more glad that you have moved to real vending machines and are making headway toward profitability.  This is a terrific forum and while it might not have helped you when you started, it can be a guiding tool as you grow in the future.

O how I can relate so well with the posts concerning the practices and false promises and the disappointments experienced. I have been spending energy, time, and more money for the past four years trying to keep my Planet Antares Office Deli refreshment machines working. Lucky I only purchased 3 units. But now after 4 years the circuit boards have decided to malfunction in all three machines all at the same time with three different malfunctions. Contacted Seaga after hours, days, and months of leaving phone messages, e mails, to only be told that would have to purchase new circuit boards. The only bright note is that I was abled to purchase some used machines which help in paying for the Seaga machines that only know how to give you headaches. I am now at the cross roads of junking the seaga's and replacing with used machines DN, Royal, FSI which are stable money making machines. I do not know how Seaga stays afloat in business. Oh yes Planet Antares filed bankruptcy in 2010. Like the original poster just want to assist in keeping others from making a bad decision and buying Seaga Machines period. This Forum is GREAT, just sorry did not know about it in 2009. I have 5 great locations and 10 machines working great and then the 3 Seaga's two partially working and # 3 dismantled for parts in garage. And like the other posters I sell healthy products and (junk) products and juices and sodas whatever market demands at which ever location. I am a grin and bear it have no other choice but to succeed in spite of the racketeers. With the help of this forum and the persons involved with it, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel becoming larger.

I also started out with 4 Seaga biz op machines and been fortunate enough to have minimal problems (so far).

3 are making a small profit and one is a real dog.

now that I've experienced real North Americian machines, as these fail I will replace with the good stuff.

This forum has been phenomenal with info to get me on the right track. As much as I hate what I paid in the beggining, Im in now and wont be looking back.

• 2 weeks later...

My full time job office just decided to install a Healthy You vending machine in one of the break rooms ... sitting right next to the regular snack and soda machines.  I only do bulk - it's not mine and I had no input into this decision!  Based on what I've read on Vendiscuss, I'm looking forward to some good observing.

It seems like many of the "healthy" items they stock are also in the regular machine, like pretzels, pirate's booty, even cookies.  Odd ... now I have a choice of pretzels from two machines sitting right next to each other.

Quick update:  after about a month it's actually doing pretty well.  No out-of-orders and many of the food rows sell out.  Not sure about the drinks though - they don't look very tempting.  Maybe offices are the key to these healthy vending machines.  Anyway, it's not mine, I'm just observing, but it looks to me like the vendor is off to a strong start.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

I post from time to time here and I always feel irritated when I see "Healthy Vending" summed up as a bad investment. I will once again state the fact, that like all industries there are good and bad companies to work with. I feel that throwing rocks at the entire industry based on what some companies do is not fair to all of us. 1-800 Vending sells machines for junk food, but you are only saying the HealthyYou aspect is bad. Naturals2Go also sells junk food machines and bulk candy units as well, so are you stating these companies Healthy Vending Machines are the problem? If low quality equipment, lack of support, poor locating programs, or what have you, are your argument, then make it. I do not see how being healthy or not will make machines and companies better or worse.

Proudly being the Managing Partner and President of Healthier4U Vending, I feel compelled to represent what we do in this industry so we do not get painted with one brush.

I will put our equipment up against anything in the industry as far as quality goes. We have a custom unit built on a standard chassis (Wittern/USI) modified to do healthy products. These modificaitons include all IR sensors because of the large variety of customized packaging used in healthy products. We have significantly upgraded base equipment with better coin mechs, bill acceptors, motherboards and onboard software to be able to service sites with RFID needs, customized operational hours, and other unique features. So to say we put a decal on a basic machine is a vast understatment of what we do to the equipment itself. Just before John Brunst, CEO of Wittern (parent company of USI amoung others), retired, we spoke at length and he said we have always placed machine quality and performance before price.

As far as price on our packages, we sell a complete business model and we do it at an incredibly fair price. We sell not just machines, but locations for the machines, training to operate the business (not just filling machines, but how to operate the business), and location installation(s). This should not be overlooked when evaluating price. Our package prices get our H4U Affilaites a more than fair return on investment and help ensure future sales as they grow their businesses long term.

The argument between healthy and junk food is irrelavant because they are different markets. There will always be a market for both types of machines because they service different clients.  However the most effective argument about healthy products is the ability to secure high quality locations. Our team of location experts places machines into locations that already have, or have had previously, junk food vending in addition to sites that are new to vending. Many locations are making a transition, because of mandate or choice, to healthier products and we fill that existing need.

Overall, I think our portfolio of locations should prove the validity of our business packages. We could not put low quality machines into high profile venues (especially with our company name on every machine). Our portfolio of sites includes Mandarin Hotels, Ritz Carlton, The Peabody Hotel Memphis, Playboy Headquarters, West Point Military Academy, Ft Knox, Nellis Air Force Base, Golds Gyms, Gulf Stream Aircraft, and over 800 other schools, gyms, factories, US Military Bases, and various businesses. Machine quality and healthy choices are why we are able to compete and win these locations over traditional junk selections. So to say there is not a market for healthy products is simply not true. The healthy vending market is growing every day which cannot be said of traditional junk food products. The Annual Vending Times Census shows this is the case and is not biased towards healthy products at all. 

I just hope this illustrates that all Healthy Vending Companies are not equal and researching who you are doing business with is important in any business. I can say that we encourage potential clients to research the industry because I feel it actually builds value in what we offer. I am not attempting to recruit those of you in traditional vending to healthy vending, so do not feel compelled to blow up the thread. I just ask that you evaluate us based on our merits and not that of other companies.

Respectfully,

Brian Swain

President and Managing Partner

Healthier4U Vending

www.Healthier4UVending.com

Who other than rich white soccer moms would choose the whole grain tastes like sand chips over lays chips that taste better and cost less than the vegan fits in your Prius liberal approved gun free ancient grains crackers

Brian - thanks for posting your views and experience in a professional and well presented manner. Of course not everyone will agree with you, and some will respond unprofessionally, but a forum consisting of professional business men and women always appreciates hearing different viewpoints.

Hello Everyone.

I post from time to time here and I always feel irritated when I see "Healthy Vending" summed up as a bad investment. I will once again state the fact, that like all industries there are good and bad companies to work with. I feel that throwing rocks at the entire industry based on what some companies do is not fair to all of us. 1-800 Vending sells machines for junk food, but you are only saying the HealthyYou aspect is bad. Naturals2Go also sells junk food machines and bulk candy units as well, so are you stating these companies Healthy Vending Machines are the problem? If low quality equipment, lack of support, poor locating programs, or what have you, are your argument, then make it. I do not see how being healthy or not will make machines and companies better or worse.

Proudly being the Managing Partner and President of Healthier4U Vending, I feel compelled to represent what we do in this industry so we do not get painted with one brush.

I will put our equipment up against anything in the industry as far as quality goes. We have a custom unit built on a standard chassis (Wittern/USI) modified to do healthy products. These modificaitons include all IR sensors because of the large variety of customized packaging used in healthy products. We have significantly upgraded base equipment with better coin mechs, bill acceptors, motherboards and onboard software to be able to service sites with RFID needs, customized operational hours, and other unique features. So to say we put a decal on a basic machine is a vast understatment of what we do to the equipment itself. Just before John Brunst, CEO of Wittern (parent company of USI amoung others), retired, we spoke at length and he said we have always placed machine quality and performance before price.

As far as price on our packages, we sell a complete business model and we do it at an incredibly fair price. We sell not just machines, but locations for the machines, training to operate the business (not just filling machines, but how to operate the business), and location installation(s). This should not be overlooked when evaluating price. Our package prices get our H4U Affilaites a more than fair return on investment and help ensure future sales as they grow their businesses long term.

The argument between healthy and junk food is irrelavant because they are different markets. There will always be a market for both types of machines because they service different clients.  However the most effective argument about healthy products is the ability to secure high quality locations. Our team of location experts places machines into locations that already have, or have had previously, junk food vending in addition to sites that are new to vending. Many locations are making a transition, because of mandate or choice, to healthier products and we fill that existing need.

Overall, I think our portfolio of locations should prove the validity of our business packages. We could not put low quality machines into high profile venues (especially with our company name on every machine). Our portfolio of sites includes Mandarin Hotels, Ritz Carlton, The Peabody Hotel Memphis, Playboy Headquarters, West Point Military Academy, Ft Knox, Nellis Air Force Base, Golds Gyms, Gulf Stream Aircraft, and over 800 other schools, gyms, factories, US Military Bases, and various businesses. Machine quality and healthy choices are why we are able to compete and win these locations over traditional junk selections. So to say there is not a market for healthy products is simply not true. The healthy vending market is growing every day which cannot be said of traditional junk food products. The Annual Vending Times Census shows this is the case and is not biased towards healthy products at all. 

I just hope this illustrates that all Healthy Vending Companies are not equal and researching who you are doing business with is important in any business. I can say that we encourage potential clients to research the industry because I feel it actually builds value in what we offer. I am not attempting to recruit those of you in traditional vending to healthy vending, so do not feel compelled to blow up the thread. I just ask that you evaluate us based on our merits and not that of other companies.

Respectfully,

Brian Swain

President and Managing Partner

Healthier4U Vending

www.Healthier4UVending.com

Good post, but you're preaching to the choir here.  Most of us have tried including healthy options in our machines from time to time and if those items would sell, we'd continue to stock them.  Unfortunately they do not sell well and usually go out of date before they are purchased.  Your uphill battle here is with the public in general and as they are our customers, we are compelled to stock what they want.

You can polish a turd all you want and put fancy stickers on it but it's still a turd

My turd was given to me, over a year ago, after working out the bugs it is making me some pocket change plus. Will i fix the pos when it breaks!

NO!

cajun

• 1 year later...

2 Years later they are still at it. They bribe you in healthy you class to put a positive response on the BBB to win a free machine. Owners do it!!!! without even selling one snack. The machines are awful I think they are built with an erector set. The company owners should be put in jail. Nobody buys healthy products. SNickers, coke and M&M's are the way to go to try and recoup any money.

Jeff Marsh and Mike Burnett are thieves

• 2 weeks later...

I have a healthy vending business and find what imafedup says is true.  I have 11 Seaga HY 900 models less than two years old and have two locations with refrigeration problems that I have been trying to correct for months.  Unfortunately they are just out of the one year free parts replacement warranty and I must order parts from the 1-800 web site.  I am not having any luck in trouble shooting so I am willing to replace the whole refrigeration unit at $600 a pop. 

Anyone have any suggestions on where you can get rebuilt refrigeration units that work in the Seaga machines? 

FJL Vending

We just lost 2 decent accounts to "healthy vending" Seaga combos. Corporate decision to do so and the employees are pissed. Not sure if a franchise locator got them in there or what. I feel sorry for the guy as I know he won't make money selling that junk at these locations. I'm not sure how these company's have not been stopped as they are absolute crooks.

What usually happens is that the healthy "vendor," usually a newbie, gets to the decision maker who thinks they are looking out for the health of their workers or who selfishly just thinks they know best.  That person makes the decision to change vendors without asking the employees and sometimes even puts the healthy machine in the breakroom along with the current vendor's machines.  The employees rarely get any part in the decision and are often baffled to why it has happened.  The incumbent vendor can only work to not burn any bridges in hopes of getting the account back or waits the healthy vendor out until the machine is removed.

I've been involved in moves like these and I always feel bad for the incumbent vendor but the healthy vendor is paying me to move their machines so I'm just doing my job.  I have even removed a couple of the healthy machines which leaves the incumbent the winner.

Yeah we just have to wait it out and see how it works out. Hopefully we get the phonecall to come back.

Here's the kicker: Soda machines were able to stay

So is eating a whole grain snack and washing it down with a Coke or Mountain Dew ok as opposed to eating a bag of Doritos and washing it down with a Coke or Mountain Dew?

I mean I really don't believe how these radio ads and marketing have got people to think this way but I see it more and more.

I was filling a snack machine and a couple of the staff ladies passed by as I was doing so and asked me to put "healthy" items in-They were going on Smoke Break!!!!

The logic is so dumb behind all this it just makes me laugh.

It's all marketing and nothing more.

The last time I checked this was America and we used to be able to make choices without somebody standing over us.

The 1st lady in office always seems to have an agenda and Obamas was being "healthy". 8 years of that crap has been thrown at us and FORCED on us.

Enough is enough.

Well, unfortunately, healthy vending and eating in general has a very strong foothold in America now and it won't change with a new president.  Look at the moves that Coke and Pepsi are making in their product lineups and also look at the drop in market share that sugared sodas have and the large increase in share that waters have now.  This is a changing market and while WE know what people expect from vending machines it will not be long before regular people, as our children grow up, expect to have healthier fare in vending machines.  While the healthy vending companies are taking more and more locations from the real vendors, there are also more and more municipalities, universities, hospitals, primary schools, etc that are mandating healthier products in machines.  This does open the market to the healthy vendors because they are filling a real need created by the changing trends.

Like you I always had to contend with the people who asked or demanded healthier snacks which rarely sold and were eventually removed from the machines over the years.  This process would repeat itself on a semi-regular basis and was a pain in the butt.  Now it's a real thing and the chances of those same healthier snacks selling is better than ever.  I don't think vendors will survive much longer if they don't offer a few healthy items in their machines because this trend will be an expectation of locations in the near future.

Archived