Victory For The Little Guy!

Randy 805

Hey guys, just wanted to let everybody know I landed an account at a processing plant, and beat out the other option...Canteen!  I've only been in the biz maybe 2-3 years and I've learned a lot!  Mostly from you guys here...I've been kicked out of a few places in the beginning as I learned and got a few "what not to do's" under my belt, but I'm pretty pleased that I was able to beat out Canteen, I don't know how common this is but it's big for me and I'm exited!

All the Canteen vending I've seen is terrible. Poorly maintained equipment, empty machines. Typically if you're up against them it shouldn't be that hard to take the account over.

Only times I've had any major issues is when the contract for vending is tied into the food service operations of the property. A lot of places I've seen use Compass's subsidiaries for food service and naturally, Canteen for vending.

They're also not afraid to charge. I was at a hospital once and Canteen was charging $2.25 for a candy bar. Holy smokes.

Good job Randy. Canteen, as with any vending company, is only as good as their route drivers. I've seen the quality of some of the drivers they have here and I would say it's amazing they can keep some of their accounts. Many of their locations eventually give up and look for a solution that gives them service. If you call on enough of their accounts you'll begin picking them off.

Canteen is a very Large company in this industry, but they do horrible service so if you can push your personable service and how you have ONE point of contact and you are able to get the nice machines like they use you will win over them most of the time I have found my little grove and I have taken over 5 of their accounts in the last year one of which requires 2 visits a week to service 3 machines!!!  

But great job!!!!!    it does feel amazing winning one over a company as big as they are or even anyone bigger then yourself!!!

Well here in my area of the woods the local guy grew by buying all the other vendors out  He has spread out to all the small towns and has done the same thing even buying out canteen. He is a genius LOL He has kept all the listings for these other vendors. So when his customers get fed and call someone else they get him most likely.. 

i work for bnsf as my full time non vend job, and we got rid of canteen because of super poor service and crapy machines! I also used to work for CAT and of course they use the compass/canteen route together so that would never change but i too would love to get a big account! I just got my fingers into a ford dealer but not till january, as they are remodeling still. And yes its true i see them working on the building lol

Better be ready to shell out some cash taking over a hughe account like CAT or any other ones that large. Most have food service to compete with and they aren't going to let someone come in with used equipment. They want everything now to have C/C readers and take up to $20 bills. They even tell you what you can charge and the commission's are high. You will be putting brand new $4,000 and more vendors in places that do nothing, and if they are 24 hr you will be running calls because they lost a dime. Coffee, Coldfood, Ice cream you name it. And when it is all said and done those Union workers are a bunch of cry babies about loosing a dime. They vandalize your equipment as bad as an apartment building. And when they go on strike there goes all the profits you might have made. :o  :o

Sorry for the rant but it is the truth and I have seen it first hand

Stay with small accounts $100 to $200 a week and you will be a lot happiers.   ;D

Archived