Need help? Dixie Narco 276

akennedy

I have a Dixie Narco 276. I sell cans only at .75 cents. It was working perfectly but when I went to restock today the apartment manger said it had not be accepting bills. I opened it up and looked around, checked the fuses, no obvious problems. I was just going to close it up and come home to do some research. But upon closing it, it no longer vends. It will take dollars now but it just says 1.00 on the display and not matter which selection you press it will not vend. Same thing with coins. The only thing you can do is have the money refunded, which does work. In addition to this I noticed something else odd. We currently do not stock the first column, a part is broken on it so we just leave it empty, normally when you press the first selection it says sold out but now it does not even say that. Its as if the selection buttons are not working. But they were working prior to opening it up the only issue was that it wasn't accepting dollars. Any ideas?  

Welcome to the forums, akennedy!

When posting technical questions, you need to include the full model number, if it's single or multiprice and even the coin mech and bill validator models numbers, as that information can be very helpful. 

In your case, I can tell by your description that this is a multiprice machine (credit display).  That means that you probably have an SIID logic board in the top of your door, maybe an SII.  The SIID has three fuses on the top right corner of the logic board.  It sounds like the motor fuse has blown, preventing any power from getting to the motors.  This can happen when a column jams or there was a voltage spike or brownout.  Remove the cover of the board (Power OFF first) and inspect the fuses.  If one is blown then inspect all your columns for a jammed can.  You might have to empty them to get to the jam or to complete your inspection.  If that's too much work then take the fuse to Radio Shack and match it to a replacement.  The amperage and style of fuse (slo-blo) is important and the voltage of the fuse should be between 125 and 250V.  Replace the fuse and then test all selections to see if one blows the fuse again.  If so, then you know which column is jammed.  If the fuse doesn't blow then you're good.

If the fuses are good, after testing them one at a time with an ohmmeter when they're off the board, then you have a bad board.  If you need a new board or some parts for your non-working column 1, then send me a PM and I can ship you what's needed.

I checked the fuses this morning. I tried to run diagnostics. It shows HD on the first and I should be able to press selection 1+2 and it go to the next option but it does nothing. It just remains on HD. Like the selection buttons are not working.

My first question is does it have a switch membrane or push button switches? I don't think it is the fuse. If it were the fuse it would say make another selection when pressing any selection. 

If it were coin mech or validator you wouldn't have a credit.

Take the motor cover off. Hold down one of the switches and press the door switch. If it runs continue till you have checked each motor. After the first one press the second switch down and the press the door switch. My guess all will run and you have something going on with the select panel.

If none of the motors run then most likely the board is bad.  

If you press the mode button on the control board what happens? It should say HD. Pressing the number one selection should give you a meter reading if not then bad selection switch or membrane or a broken wire.

If you press button 1 and 2 at the same time if should scroll through different modes if not the bad membrane or broken wire.

Morris I will try all that tomorrow. When I press the mode button it does say HD but then the selection buttons do nothing. I know what they are suppose to do but they aren't doing anything. It just remains on HD.

I have checked all 3 fuses and they are good.

Does the machine have individually wired switches behind each select button or is there a ribbon behind a long metal plate mounted behind all of your select buttons? If it's the ribbon (switch membrane as it's called) then try disconnecting it just above the top select button and making and breaking the connection a few times to see if that will clean up the connection. If that doesn't work then the membrane must be replaced.

You can PM me for a replacement membrane if you need one.

It has the ribbon which connects them all. I will try this in the morning. That is what makes sense because like I said before the first selection should say sold out but now when I press the button it just says .75 cents like its not responding at all. Thanks a lot.

If your prices are all set to .75, even on a multiprice machine, the display will be fixed at .75 when idle.  This might make you think that the display is reporting the price of a selection you press, but it might actually just have a static .75 showing and be ignoring your button presses.

Archived