home built vending

vetvend

I am a newbie! and have searched for and read  the posts warning others not to try to build their own vending machines.....I understand and agree.  However, I have not found one that meets my personal needs and was hoping that I  could re-purpose the best/most appropriate/ economical group of components (converter, rectifier and filter, VMC, MDB, Relay driver, wiring harness, keypad and display) with credit card reader only payment system (no cash or coins) that I could string together to send a 24VDC current (up to 60 seconds) to one of up to 64 24VDC electronic fail secure locks (and maybe an LED light above the lock that is triggered).  After that lock was opened once, it would display "sold out" and not activate the lock again until item was refilled and reset.

My thought was that I could buy a used 64 item spiral snack machine but instead of activating servos or motors it would just send a timed current to the lock (and light).  Rather than ordering and programming an Arduino kit, I was hoping that I could adapt current commercially available items that would simplify trouble shooting, repair and replacement and increase durability.  Any suggestions? Is there a decent, simple snack machine out there that would be good to harvest components from?  Is this feasible or a colossal waste of time?....Since retiring from the Army I have the time.

LOL That sounds like a D/N 5591.... 5 trays 9 selections=45 vends room for 9 more or 54 on board if you add and extra harness and actuators ....  Add a timing circuit that will hold for 60 sec.  Disconnect the drop sensor and there you go 54 vends all sold out. Might be something there.

I am a newbie! and have searched for and read  the posts warning others not to try to build their own vending machines.....I understand and agree.  However, I have not found one that meets my personal needs and was hoping that I  could re-purpose the best/most appropriate/ economical group of components (converter, rectifier and filter, VMC, MDB, Relay driver, wiring harness, keypad and display) with credit card reader only payment system (no cash or coins) that I could string together to send a 24VDC current (up to 60 seconds) to one of up to 64 24VDC electronic fail secure locks (and maybe an LED light above the lock that is triggered).  After that lock was opened once, it would display "sold out" and not activate the lock again until item was refilled and reset.

My thought was that I could buy a used 64 item spiral snack machine but instead of activating servos or motors it would just send a timed current to the lock (and light).  Rather than ordering and programming an Arduino kit, I was hoping that I could adapt current commercially available items that would simplify trouble shooting, repair and replacement and increase durability.  Any suggestions? Is there a decent, simple snack machine out there that would be good to harvest components from?  Is this feasible or a colossal waste of time?....Since retiring from the Army I have the time.

Unfortunately, we are mostly just vendors here, not machine builders.  The techs here have a lot of knowledge on this but I think the majority of us leave it up to the manufacturers to design machines.  You should try your luck at an electronics forum.

Thanks for the feedback...I was hoping that you guys would know of something already out there that I could use or adapt to meet my needs and the D/N 5591 looks promising. I am looking to see if I can pick up a used one locally and re-purpose the system to get closer to what I need.

I believe that this is the most active vending forum in the USA.  If no one else says much within the next week or so, then that will tell you about how much we know about actual electronics.

To put it into perspective... here is a list of things that we often do.

We typically only need screw drivers and nut drivers for maybe 75% of repairs.

We might only need our hands for another 15% of repairs.

When an electronic goes out, we usually send it out for someone else to repair.

When a motor goes out, we simply replace it with another motor that was designed for that machine.

When a machine isn't cooling properly, we let someone else fix the refrigeration deck for us.

When a machine is old and the board goes out, we often scrap that machine and replace it with a new(er) machine.

When we show up to an account and we see shelves leaning against the glass, we demand that management do something to control their employees.

In other words, we don't BUILD the machines... we simply repair what's already given to us.  We may upgrade the board and put newer devices in the machine, but those devices are usually universal with other machines anyway so there isn't anything advanced going on here.  It's just plug-and-play in a sense.  Yes, your topic is about vending... but I am pretty sure that your knowledge about electronics is above 90% of us here.  An electronics forum would probably have way more minds to be able to feed you ideas.

Your original post didn't really explain what you want the machine to do. I don't understand what you will be activating for 60 seconds or why.

As Chris said, not getting many answers here pretty much tells you how we feel about one-off machines. We spend all of our time just keeping them doing what they were designed for without worrying about what entirely new purposes they could have.

I completely understand and thank you for taking the time to reply.  If I could find a machine already in production I would get it.  The electronic fail secure locks are capable of overcoming a preload and will open a spring loaded door...I would like the lock to remain energized for about 60 seconds in case the door shuts before the item is removed. 

i have built many a vending machine/amusement machine. Most often its to change a few things i don't like and of course to make it a lot cheaper.. 

I would like to build many more as i have ideas in my head for several different designs/ functions i want to see.

its a lot more complicated than you think on the production side of it (i.e. sourcing parts, lead time on parts etc.)and sometimes you get to a point and realize it wasn't worth the trouble as what you made doesn't make any money (i.e. egg vendor i made cost me the same to make as a multicade and multicade compared to egg machine ,with commission and product cost/shipping multicade makes me same or more money and i can service it once a year if i want)

I say the best way to start any new production is advice i got long ago from manufacturer, "COPY is your first product, get it nailed down then venture off and reinvent it, but sometimes the features you may not like or understand where put there with the manufacturing process in mind, not the end use."

ron

I completely understand and thank you for taking the time to reply.  If I could find a machine already in production I would get it.  The electronic fail secure locks are capable of overcoming a preload and will open a spring loaded door...I would like the lock to remain energized for about 60 seconds in case the door shuts before the item is removed. 

Cold food machines (turret style) have this delay in the relocking of the individual delivery doors so one of them might work for you.  I don't recall how long the doors will stay unlocked but it's for 10 seconds or more or until the turret is rotated (applies to National cold food machines).  The Rowe cold food machine doors will remain unlocked until the turret is rotated. 

Cold food machines (turret style) have this delay in the relocking of the individual delivery doors so one of them might work for you.  I don't recall how long the doors will stay unlocked but it's for 10 seconds or more or until the turret is rotated (applies to National cold food machines).  The Rowe cold food machine doors will remain unlocked until the turret is rotated. 

The amount of time is fully adjustable in the programming. ( In National 431/432 ) You can bump that sucker up to 99 whole seconds.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I really appreciate it.  I will start looking through the users manuals for those machines and see which VMCs,  boards, harnesses and relays look like the easiest to use to adapt to my machine and then see where it goes.  Thanks

• 3 years later...

Well it has been almost 4 years since I was on here with the crazy idea of building my own vending machine.....when you are too stoopid to know you can't do something there are very few roadblocks......We ended up building from scratch rather than using existing vending machine parts ....we put our first large item, cashless, outdoor vending machine prototype out on the street 3 years ago (it is still out there working away but replaced the operating/logic hardware and software).  We now have 20 machines out at DFW area state parks selling firewood at $1200 a cord (by the stick) and they sell a lot.  Went crazy after that and designed and built a 20lb propane bottle exchange vending machine and just got it patented and  UL certified for hazardous location and UL751 (vending machine)....shopping it around now.  Bored again, so working on a kayak and paddle board rental machine and a bike rental machine for a guy out in Wisconsin.   So if anyone out there has delusions of grandeur.....it can be done.  Go for it!!! 

Congrats, and I mean it.

Designing something that even remotely works is no mean feat.

Designing something to be reliable enough for commercial use is impressive.

Designing something well enough to sell it, and be compliant with UL standards for hazardous locations, as a small operation without the resources of a large company is very, very, impressive.

And yeah, with what you were doing you pretty much had to build from scratch.

10 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I'm happy to hear about your success story.  I agree, building a machine can be done, but it's just not what we do here lol.

You are correct AC, I figured once in 4 years I would post to the place I started getting ideas from.  I do now have a fair bit of knowledge on cashless POS systems, integration and programming and alternative vending options and markets.....I will continue to Lurk to see if there are any topics I might be able to help others with

On 5/22/2018 at 4:27 AM, vetvend said:

Thanks!,  Other than the logic and controllers only one moving part....the locks for each compartment which spring open

woodshax RRJB.jpg

I had an idea for a similar type machine design for local farmers who have roadside stall and rely on an honesty system. The locker system allows vending of any shaped item and including fragile items (nobody wants to buy dropped fruit). Can you individually price your selections?

So that is you with the firewood vending setup.  I have gotten calls about it and told people I had no idea if one existed. Do you want me to send you the calls, message me. I love this post from beginning to this point.  On the Kayak are you thinking about the blow up one with a air pump near by or actual Kayaks.

20 hours ago, brendio said:

I had an idea for a similar type machine design for local farmers who have roadside stall and rely on an honesty system. The locker system allows vending of any shaped item and including fragile items (nobody wants to buy dropped fruit). Can you individually price your selections?

Brendio,

Yes we can price by 8 door module and individual compartments can be priced differently within each module.  The only thing with fruit and veggies is that people like to "feel them up" a lot to make sure they are ripe and not damaged and they can't do it from a locked cage until they purchase it.  

17 hours ago, Poplady1 said:

So that is you with the firewood vending setup.  I have gotten calls about it and told people I had no idea if one existed. Do you want me to send you the calls, message me. I love this post from beginning to this point.  On the Kayak are you thinking about the blow up one with a air pump near by or actual Kayaks.

Thanks,  There are a couple of other machines out there....one works off a conveyor belt and the other is vaguely similar to ours but one big unit.  Actual Kayaks and paddle boards.  Paddles and PFDs in the lockers and kayaks and paddle boards on the rack.   Pick what you want and the PFD and paddle locks open and the metal cord to the kayak unlocks.  When you come back, enter in the last four of credit card or re-swipe and those locks unlock again....once locked and doors closed the card is charged appropriately.

outdoorvendingsolutions has the contact info would love to find more people interested 

paddleboard pic.jpg

re the kayak rental units, what would you estimate the unit cost to be (excluding product of course).  I have a city client with a river park where they want to have rentals but it's not busy enough for an attended solution.

Archived