New guy again with bill validator problem

KConn

so for those that read my last post, I decided to buy the royal coke asset machine. after testing the machine the only issue I've noticed on the machine is the bill validator thus far.

it's a coinco b830b and I'm getting a 5 blink error code which is the "check optical sensor" code.

I'm unsure how to go about with diagnosing this problem so any help would be great!

this is my first machine I am forcing myself to fix on my own without calling a tech out to the house so please bare with me.

You almost certainly mean it is a BA30B and not a "B830B".  BA just means bill acceptor (I am 90% sure on that), the 3 reflects the bill box it came with (3 for 300 note and 5 for 500 note), the 0 stands for the voltage (0 for 110v and 2 for 24v), while the B seems to stand for bottle as the B's are used in soda machines.  I just wanted to throw that info out there.

I just had a problem with a BA30SA and, if I recall, it had 5 blinks as well which meant bill jam but maybe I am wrong.  Regardless, if you are getting a code to check the optical sensor, you either have something blocking the sensor (you can simply wipe it down if that is the case) or you need to have the bill acceptor sent off for repair.  You can also just replace the unit.

If you don't know how to open the bill acceptor up, here is how:

First, take the bill box off.  This is done simply by pushing against the top tab on the top of the bill box.  That should be pretty straight forward.  Push the tab forward (toward the front of the vending machine) and lift the bill box up.  Next, push up on the bottom on the bottom of the validator (it is at the very bottom and it is square-looking).  Pushing this button up will allow you to slide the bottom of the validator out to inspect it for any debris.  Finally, use a damp cloth or maybe some rubbing alcohol to clear the sensors.  Don't use anything that will leave streaks or dust behind such as a paper towel.

Verify that the 5 blinks don't mean that there is a bill jam.  However, even if the problem IS a bill jam, you may still need to go through the previous steps to gain access to any debris that is blocking the bill path.

If nothing helps you, and powering down/powering up the machine also doesn't help, you need to repair or replace the unit.

If, after following Chris's advice, you still have problems with it then the validator will need to be rebuilt.  If you need an exchange unit for it you can PM me and I can send you a factory rebuilt unit.

Buy a can of air. Use the tube on it to blow out the upper sensors in the validator. Visually check the optic sensors of the bottom piece of the validator. You can take a Q-tip wet it and clean the optics. Take and flip the anti cheat back a forth then use the can of air to blow it out.. If that don't work it will need repair,

5 blinks is a general sensor error.  I rarely find bad sensors when it has this code, it usually just needs cleaned really well.  There are other codes for each individual sensor when it fails, so a 5 flash usually means multiple failures, or multiple blockages or sensors that can't see eachother because of dirt, dust, torn bill pieces, etc. If it still doesn't work after cleaning it, then it will have to be repaired. 

so for those that read my last post, I decided to buy the royal coke asset machine. after testing the machine the only issue I've noticed on the machine is the bill validator thus far.

it's a coinco b830b and I'm getting a 5 blink error code which is the "check optical sensor" code.

I'm unsure how to go about with diagnosing this problem so any help would be great!

this is my first machine I am forcing myself to fix on my own without calling a tech out to the house so please bare with me.

I've had a lot of problems with the BA30 myself. it will not hold up well in a dusty environment, this goes for most of the Coinco validators.  You can try to clean the sensors by pulling out the lower section of the validator - there's a square button on the bottom. pull hard.   This will access the three lower sensors which should be cleaned on a regular basis.  There is one upper sensor you can't get to which might be cleaned by the air Morris mentioned.  The best thing to do is install a Mars validator but you'd need the special adapter plate to make it fit.  These validators will last much longer.  PM AZ if you decide to go this route as he's got about every part ever made and will help you in getting the proper harness for this conversion.

Ps. what was the Royal model you bought?

just got done cleaning the unit.definately no jam inside. put some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and cleaned all the sensors, still got the 5 blink error. I'm gonna assume this thing is in need of repair. just called a local shop for a swap out and I will have a new one in the morning.

Hopefully I can get this machine out at its new location by next week

The best thing to do is install a Mars validator but you'd need the special adapter plate to make it fit.  These validators will last much longer.  PM AZ if you decide to go this route as he's got about every part ever made and will help you in getting the proper harness for this conversion.

Ps. what was the Royal model you bought?

I'm unaware of why anyone would need any kind of a plate to change from a Coinco BA30B to a VN 2511.  I have changed out many machines and needed no plates or brackets to do that.  It should only need the proper harness.

Archived