warm soda; DN 368

AngryChris

So I got a call today about my machine being warm.  I was prepared to turn the refrigeration off to let the ice melt that I thought was going to be there.. unfortunately, there was no ice.  To make matters worse, the compressor would not come on.  It SOUNDED as though the condensor fan came on but no compressor... however, it was vibrating and warm in the back.  I am not sure if the condensor fan makes enough motion to cause the compressor to bounce around or if I simply could not hear the compressor but it sure didn't seem like it was on.  All of the refrigeration lines were warm.  The best I can come up with is that the compressor burnt up on its own or the machine is low on freon and worked harder than it had to.  I don't know what else would cause this.

In the mean time, I am replacing this machine with a Royal 650.  I do have a question though.... I am going to pull the refrigeration deck out before I probably scrap the machine.  Is the refrigeration deck on the 368 compatible with a 360 or a 414?  I have a good deck on the DN 360 and a deck with low refrigerant on the 414.. so i figured I could do some swapping/exchanging to get the 414 fixed until I put the original deck back into the 360.. then I will have a spare deck.

You can confirm if the condenser fan motor is the only sound you're hearing by turning the unit off, reaching behind the fan shroud and holding the fan blade.  There isn't enough torque on the motor to pull it loose from you hand so you can then turn the unit on and the fan won't be turning, allowing you to determine if the compressor is actually running.  You could also reach behind the machine and touch the compressor dome to see if it's hot.  If it's hot to the touch or you determine it is running then you're probably just low on freon.  If you don't hear it running or the dome is cold or you only hear the compressor click on and back off without actually starting then the compressor is bad. 

If the compressor runs then you're probably out of freon and need to recharge it after any needed leak repair.

The units in the DN 360 and 414 are both two deep cabinets so all three are interchangeable along with a DN 320, 440 and most 276s.

Archived