Dixie Narco Motor Issue

HipHop71

I have a Dixie Narco can machine.  On the first selection or the double can row one of my motors does not cycle fully, stopping before it vends can.  If you pay for another soda that can vends and it goes back to normal till that slot is chosen again.  Is their any adjustment or do I have a bad motor or switch?  I figure the switch on door is ok because the second shared slot with that button works fine.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also I was wondering how everyone goes about purchasing used vending machines as I have been buying mine from California but I live in Cleveland, Ohio area.  Thank You - Hop!

Please give a little more detail... when you said double column, you mean it is a wide column (ie. it holds twice as much as the narrow columns)?

Also.. when you say it doesn't vend the can and then goes "back to normal" until it is chosen again... are you saying it vends, misses, vends, misses, vends, misses or is there some other pattern such as... no vend, double vend, no vend, double vend, no vend, double vend, etc...

You need to give us a better idea on the pattern.

Hllo, when I say it is a double column, I mean its selection one on the machine which has two seperate large sides to fill.  These are the first two columns on right hand side of machine if facing the machine.  I select pop and it dispenses a can normally from the one slot (2nd from right).  When I go and select pop a second time, the second slot or farthest right slot does not fully cycle on motor, it sits in grove on motor and it does not drop a can.  If I go to buy another pop, it drops that can that should have dropped on previous dollar right away.  After that the motor is in corect position and machine works fine until that column is selected again.  Once it trys to dispense from that column (fathest right), it does the same thing again.  I cleaned motor, its not sticking or anything and spring is nice and free on that motor.  I dont know if I should replace motor or if it is a different problem.  ty Hop! 

Welcome to the forum, HipHop.

You need to give us the model number of your machine as there are 2 can and 3 can deep machines as well as a late model E series. There are single price and multi price machines as well. Since you say it's got columns 1 and 2 slaved together that means you have a Coke designed door. It sounds like you have a motor timing cam issue or maybe a motor brake or switch problem. If you don't have the model number then we need photos of the exposed vend motors to see what you have. You can upload photos here or provide links to the photos. A closeup of the motor when stopped after NOT dropping a can would be helpful as well.

I forgot to mention that you have two machine suppliers in Cleveland: Vendors Exchange and D&S Vending. Both sell machines as-is, clean and working, and rebuilt.

That's enough info to tell us you have a single price DN368 if it's 72" high or a DN440 if 79" tall. You'll have red/white motor cams on your wide columns which are columns 1&2 on the right and 3&4 on the left. Columns 1&2 will alternate vends by use of a sequencing solenoid mounted close to where the coin mech plugs in.

You can manually run any of your motors by lifting the short motor switch arm out of it's notch. This will start one vend cycle. You can then test the motor of column 1 by itself over and over for troubleshooting. Do this while watching successive vends and focus on the operation of the motor brake and the motor switches. At the end of each vend the short arm should rest in a notch of the cam edge and the long switch arm should rest on the outside edge of the motor cam. In addition the motor brake actuator (brass bracket that hugs the motor magnet) should move very easily when you tap it, almost as if it's too loose.

Inside your column you should have two black plastic shims on each side of the column (some models may have one on each side) and in any event, this column's shims should look exactly like the shims in a working wide column.

Check these things out and let us know the result.

Hello again, ty for response again.  I am a little mechanical as machine was working last week but I was having some motor issues with brakes drifting because they were dirty.  The current broken column was actually working up to that point.  Anyway after cleaning it very well with contact cleaner and lubing with wd40 I actually got all brakes clean and moving freely.  I thought I was done fixing until I started testing machine where I started having above listed issue.  What exactly happens is I put money in machine, I hit that vend button and both the short and long arm move to open notch and stop in their.  It does not vend  at this point.  I then put money in machine once again and it automatically vends that pop from that column and from that row and both the long and short arm go back to the correct positions.  I have never had any of my machines o this, that is why I am lost on fixing this issue.  Hopefully that helps some.  ty Hop! 

Hi HipHop71

Rules:

1: Don't use contact cleaner, will make plastic parts swell on machine.

2: WD40 not for lubing brake parts in machine.

I learned the hard way about spraying contact cleaner. Had to change out all switches on DN 440 machine.

Change any suspected bad contacts with new one.

Any soda spilled on brake parts, should be cleaned with warm mild soapy water.

It would be ideal to take machine out of service to accomplish this, reasons being all motors in single price machine has 110 volts going to them.

Quite a shock!

Other vendors or techs will chime in behind me.

cajun 

You have just shortened the life of your motor by using WD40 on it.  WD40 will attract dirt and cause the motor to prematurely gum up due to the cold temperature.  Your problem is in the motor switch and it should be replaced.  However, now that you used WD40 on the motor you need to replace the motor and the motor switch.

Let me know if you need one and I can ship you a good used motor for it.  Just send me a PM.  And save the WD40 for hinges, rusty nuts etc. and don't use it inside any vending machine.

You have just shortened the life of your motor by using WD40 on it. WD40 will attract dirt and cause the motor to prematurely gum up due to the cold temperature. Your problem is in the motor switch and it should be replaced. However, now that you used WD40 on the motor you need to replace the motor and the motor switch.

Let me know if you need one and I can ship you a good used motor for it. Just send me a PM. And save the WD40 for hinges, rusty nuts etc. and don't use it inside any vending machine.

And it will wreck plastic parts

• 2 weeks later...

Archived