Cleaning:

vendamania

What do you guys use to clean the corroson off the metal inside soda machines? Also what do you use the clean the outside metal cabinet?

While I am out it what is used to clean the front of snack machines ? Guess that would be the vinyl tuff front.

I was cleaning up an old AP snack machine and needed a degreaser for the shelves...that chip gunk is nasty! I tried a few cleaning agents without much success. I grabbed a can of Foaming Compressor Coil Cleaner and tried it...worked great! I used it all over the outside of the machine too. Mind you, this is not a machine I care too much about. Just letting you know about my experiment.

For the inside and outside you can use soap and water.  The outside also does well with glass cleaner.  The inside corrosion you see is totally normal and is not rust but just a reaction between the steel and the moisture in the air.  If you have a dusty coating on the inside then soap and water will fix it - or just a wet rag in a bucket of water.  I also use glass cleaner on the signs and orange based cleaner on a rag to get spots where tape was or something that the glass cleaner won't take off.

Glass cleaner is also the preferred cleaner for the fronts of snack machines as well.

I was cleaning up an old AP snack machine and needed a degreaser for the shelves...that chip gunk is nasty! I tried a few cleaning agents without much success. I grabbed a can of Foaming Compressor Coil Cleaner and tried it...worked great! I used it all over the outside of the machine too. Mind you, this is not a machine I care too much about. Just letting you know about my experiment.

What is that stuff and how does it get there? I call it chip smut.  I've found that 409 works well for this.

What is that stuff and how does it get there? I call it chip smut. I've found that 409 works well for this.

Took almost no elbow grease with the foaming coil cleaner. My best guess that the gunk is transfat...

Don't use your shoe!?!?  Are you trying to bend all the fins?  Also don't wipe the dirt off the front of a condenser or you'll push the dirt into the fins.  Use a hair comb dragged down the front to pull the dirt off.  On a clogged condenser you can use compressed air (not canned air) or a water hose sprayed through the condenser to clean it.  I keep a CO2 cylinder full of CO2 just for this purpose so I can clean one on location.  It makes a mess and a huge dust cloud though so sometimes I have to remove the cooling unit and clean it outside.

Don't use your shoe!?!? Are you trying to bend all the fins? Also don't wipe the dirt off the front of a condenser or you'll push the dirt into the fins. Use a hair comb dragged down the front to pull the dirt off. On a clogged condenser you can use compressed air (not canned air) or a water hose sprayed through the condenser to clean it. I keep a CO2 cylinder full of CO2 just for this purpose so I can clean one on location. It makes a mess and a huge dust cloud though so sometimes I have to remove the cooling unit and clean it outside.

I've never bent any fins. I have just found that it works very effectively. I'm happy with my technique but I should have mentioned that I'm very gentle. It's all abput surface area and getting the dust to stick together so that 90% of it comes off all in 2 seconds.

I've never bent any fins. I have just found that it works very effectively. I'm happy with my technique but I should have mentioned that I'm very gentle. It's all abput surface area and getting the dust to stick together so that 90% of it comes off all in 2 seconds.

You know, people in Ohio are kinda sensitive about vendors that wear those spikey heels  ;D  ;D  ;D

We've used paint thinner for years to get that gluey residue off that comes from chip bags. Doesn't harm or discolor the shelves and takes little effort to clean. I like to remove the spirals and let them soak in hot soapy water while wiping down the shelves. Then I just wipe them off and reinstall. And like everyone else we use glass cleaner for the glass and 409 or glass cleaner for the cabinets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We refurbish a lot of machines and when there's a lot of soda corrosion on the inside of a soda machine, we use steel wool, or we also have a steel brush drill bit that we sand it off electronically.  This is typically the fastest way to do it.  As for the tight corners, steel wool brush and soapy water works best.  I like windex on the outside of the machine to clean it with unless there's a lot of dirt then it will take a good soapy rag.  Good luck.

Archived