rodney69

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the takeaway here is beware any middlemen between charities and vendors.  If your contact is not with the charity itself, you're putting yourself in a sticky situation by claiming an affiliation.  

I think the takeaway here is beware any middlemen between charities and vendors. If your contact is not with the charity itself, you're putting yourself in a sticky situation by claiming an affiliation.

I'm not claiming affiliation as I stated earlier. How did this get so twisted around? I said we have discounts but we weren't party of it? I also give discounts for SGK, I'm not in any way affiliated with them, I must have misstated something somewhere.

It's a dead subject to me. I've said several times I wasn't a part of it and what my business was.

Rodney, I wasn't addressing you.   vend2help.org would be the "middleman" in this situation.  I was just saying, in general from the discussion we've had, that would be good advice to all of us.  

If you are operating a legitimate charity business, and truly want to help charities, research whichever charity you want to help and become passionate about it..  your passion will show though in your presentation... next place a generic sticker on your machine stating money from this machine goes to help local charities.  If you are really donating to charity, let your "gravy" accounts mail a check for you every once in a while..  For instance, you have a machine in a breakroom...  you tell the office manager what charity you are working with, and show them the check... let them mail it for you once and they will trust that you are legit..  word will spread through the office that your machines contribute to x charity.

disclaimer..  we operated more than 2000 triple head charity machines at our peak..10 years ago.. about 7000 heads...  tens of thousands of dollars were donated.   If a good account $80/month or higher would question our sincerity we would give them a four figure check to mail on our behalf.. 

Never make a check out to a middle man...  NEVER!!  you can forward a check though a middle man for accountability, but don't make it out to them.   

If my customers have any questions about the charity....I just tell them to call my homegirl over at nccs...I touch base with her every now and again to make sure all of our money is ACTUALLY doing what it is suppose to do....I just supply candy...I let her do the talking...she's the expert..I just support her.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Love the idea of letting locations mail checks. To bring more transparency to my charity route I wanted to give my charity their on vend-trak log-in id so they can see and stay updated on their affiliated locations but vend-trak is set up to assign a different log-in id to every location for the use by the actual location owner. If this can't be changed then a monthly report to the charity will have to do. My local charity wants to help with locations within their own network so that's another reason I want to give them a way to access their locations.

• 4 months later...

The situation has changed with the local charity i am working with.  My friend that was their marketing person informed me of some of their inter-office politics that played a deciding factor in his resignation with this particular non-profit.  He was the only one there that was activily pitching for locations which resulted in some really good locations.  Now that he's no longer there being affiliated with this charity no longer comes with the same benefits.  I also was using NCCS for honor boxes but lack of support has made me decide to cut ties with them also.  Not sure why NCCS dont offer more options for apparel for vendors and dont want to give permission for vendors to have something made with their local embroidery shop.  Like they scared to death that might miss out on a few dollars.  Could do it against their will and they would never be the wiser but don't want a partnership with someone that does't lend the type of support that I feel would put me in the best situation to suceed.  So taking Hanihotdogs advice I have decided to support a cause that im much more passionate about that is also very personal to me.  Autism, my oldest daughter Bailey was diagnosed at an early age of being on the spectrum.  My wife engrossed herself in learning everything she could about the disorder and the best ways to treat it, she even changed career directions to continue to support my daughters progress.  Through a ton of early intervention and intense therapies she is now excelling with mainstream students very rarely getting anything other then straight A's.  Knowing the potential problems from dealing with NCCS and local charities I have decided to intiate a similar program as candy for a cause that will support autism awareness, education and treatment.  I will make make own stickers, placement letter, etc and will donate to several local charities that support different facets of dealing with autism.  The idea is to also make a website that illustrates our support of autism awareness by placing gum and candy machines in businesses. Another thing that i think is improtant is a way to show what and who we are donating money too. not sure of the most tasteful way of doing this but want there to be more than just a number that i say is what we've donated so far, actual proof to bring a little more creditibilty to what we're doing.  Anyone already doing something similar with advice that might help, please let me know.

Your so full of it. Dont act like you do this to help a charity. You pay a charity in place of paying the location in hopes of making more money for yourself. Its a huge scam. Making money off of autisic kids. Shame on you!

Not sure how best to say toad your an idiot, but your an idiot. Your one of these guys that feel like regardless of the amount given to a charity you feel like it's a scam. I absolutely use charities to get into locations since due to a lot of locations not interested in collecting a $5-15 a month commission but are willing to help a charity. My last charity deal with a local charity was 25% so don't see how it was about me making so much more by exploiting this charity.

By your own admission, you want to get a shirt and hat made (without the charities permission) and trick the business owner into thinking the machines owned by the charity, when in reality your the one profiting the most from this scam. Most your post is about whats best for you and which charity can offer you the most benifit, swiching charities based on your benifit. Just be honest, your doing it for you. Nothing wrong with that, thats why i'm in vending, me and my families benifit. No need to break your arm patting yourself on the back, your not Mother Mainard or the sacred chicken

yes definitly in this to make money but i have never mislead a location to thinking my machines are owned by any charity i also have business cards with my company's name on it.  wearing a shirt or hat with a charity logo is no different from anyone wearing a shirt with a company logo on it. the first question a location asks is what charity does this benefit.  as far as doing it without permission, NCCS offers shirts and hats already but wanted a different style shirt and NCCS doesn't want to give permission since they sell shirts and see it has lost revenue.  this debate is pointless because neither side is gonna convince the other, its like repulicans and democrats. 

Toad is not an idiot... I think you both have good points. back in the beginning, I had the same opinion as toad. I did not like charity vending, I thought it was a scam, and I did not want to take part in it. my dad explained why he did not feel like it was a scam... basically, it depends on how you communicate your intent to the accounts. it helped me to change my opinion.

be honest with yourself, and the location how about your intent.

"first and foremost, I have this business to support my family, and I also support this charity. last year we were able to donate X amount of money to help X charity in this way.... This year, with your help, our goal is to increase that amount to..."

at the end of the day, we were not getting rich, we were not misleading people,and we were able bless people with disabilities in a very tangible and meaningful way.

If aN account questioned our legitimacy, we would let them mail a check on our behalf. even if you don't donate much, it still helps charities. "little by little.. a little becomes a lot!"

Toad, in my opinion, is very beneficial to this forum. he is polarizing, and is going to say things that will offend people... but there is some merit in what he says... even if u don't agree.

Toad is only polarizing to those that cling to self created illusions. He brings 60 years of successful operation to the forum. Trust me it is very hard not to offend when you read some of the drivel that gets written here. Tough, harsh, so what, better to be told the truth right off than flounder around in pointless land forever.

Maybe  am too old to contribute too. I didn't attend a school where everyone was worried about your self esteem or feelings or how you fit it blah blah. We earned respect, or scorn as was deserved, no one got an award for being nice, awards were handed out for success.  In my opinion if the harmless directness I see sometimes here bothers you maybe you should go out west somewhere and try your hand at being a sensitivity guru.

My issue with "Toad" has nothing to do with his knowledge of the industry or his views. It is that he can not seem to adhere to the simple rules I've laid out for the forum. I don't feel that allowing only one screen name is that hard of a guideline to adhere to. Why does he feel the need to not only create 13 usernames but also act like he is a different person when he uses each one? Why can he not simply use his original name that everyone knows?

Per forum guidelines, I will be merging his latest incarnation with his original screen name shortly. Then he will be welcome to continue the conversation as himself. However, history tells me he won't.

I cant log on with original user name, besides, i dont want that user name anymore, i wanna be toad. Please leave my name as toad and i will stay toad forever, promise

Maybe  am too old to contribute too. I didn't attend a school where everyone was worried about your self esteem or feelings or how you fit it blah blah. We earned respect, or scorn as was deserved, no one got an award for being nice, awards were handed out for success.  In my opinion if the harmless directness I see sometimes here bothers you maybe you should go out west somewhere and try your hand at being a sensitivity guru.

Personally I welcome someone being very direct but there is a difference between being direct and insulting someone. In a bar one leads to a spirited debate and the other leads to a punch in the nose. You talk about earning respect or scorn as deserved. Well when a guy comes on here and asks a question about how to fix a coin mech and Toad says "you can't fix stupid" that comment deserves scorn. Honestly that is troll behavior. I was brought up to treat people with respect and by doing that it goes a long way in earning the respect of others.The purpose of this forum is to share info and help each other so if you think I am being too sensitive because I don't have alot of tolerance for Toad's behavior than so be it. 

It seems like this argument of "charity vs. commision" is never ending.

Here's my take.....

If I am offering a charity machine to a location, I say something like "a portion of proceeds help benefit X". Since when is that a bad thing? Saying that does not make you a lowlife. If Mr. Manager asks how much money you donate to charity or the percentage you are donating, then you should tell the truth. If not, THAT makes you a lowlife.

Commision vendors dont walk into a place and say "Hi Mr. Manager, I can give you 35% commision but how about you take 10%" You would be a fool to do so.

If the location thinks that 10% is the best commision that they can get (even if you would have gone up to 35%) then let them think what they want. If a charity vendor clearly says "a PORTION of our sales benefits X" then it's not up to the vendor to tell them the portion going to charity UNLESS they ask.

Many of you seem to forget that the charities set the price per sticker. If they were as worried about it as much as many of you are, I bet they would charge more per sticker.

Placing a charity machine is about sales just as much as the commision machine is. Each is simply a different strategy to the same end. Since when is it a salesmans job to tell every potential customer every detail and nuance of the deal?? None of us ever pay the same price for the exact same new car. This doesn't mean that EVERY salesman lied to us.

Sorry i hurt your feelings "gumball guy" Anybody else notice the mentallity nowadays where ALL the kids get trophys?? They are all "winners"?? Basketball games where they dont keep score?? Everybody in society is a victim? My daddy didnt love me, not my fault? Every parent telling their kid they could be anything they want when they grow up, even a dr or president of usa? Completely sickening. I have seen kids stand on vending machines (including on the coin handles) , hang all over them and much worse, yet "gumball guy" breaks one in half trying to figure out how to take it apart. Nobody should laugh about it or think its amusing , it might make him sad. Im sure its not his fault, he deserves a trophy for trying, after all, in life we are all winners. Keep up the good work guys!

Personally I welcome someone being very direct but there is a difference between being direct and insulting someone. In a bar one leads to a spirited debate and the other leads to a punch in the nose. You talk about earning respect or scorn as deserved. Well when a guy comes on here and asks a question about how to fix a coin mech and Toad says "you can't fix stupid" that comment deserves scorn. Honestly that is troll behavior. I was brought up to treat people with respect and by doing that it goes a long way in earning the respect of others.The purpose of this forum is to share info and help each other so if you think I am being too sensitive because I don't have alot of tolerance for Toad's behavior than so be it.

Sorry i hurt your feelings "gumball guy" Anybody else notice the mentallity nowadays where ALL the kids get trophys?? They are all "winners"?? Basketball games where they dont keep score?? Everybody in society is a victim? My daddy didnt love me, not my fault? Every parent telling their kid they could be anything they want when they grow up, even a dr or president of usa? Completely sickening. I have seen kids stand on vending machines (including on the coin handles) , hang all over them and much worse, yet "gumball guy" breaks one in half trying to figure out how to take it apart. Nobody should laugh about it or think its amusing , it might make him sad. Im sure its not his fault, he deserves a trophy for trying, after all, in life we are all winners. Keep up the good work guys!

Doesn't mean you should walk around all day with sand in you vagina

Archived