Cold Call Troubles

Hi everyone  i have been cold calling local business's and can't seem to get past the gate keeper.  I would like to close on the phone or too set up appointment to show them the machine and land the location.  This is an example of call. 

Hello this is bob  I say in loud stern voice " Hello Bob is Owner or Manager of the facility available to speak to"    All I her is there out or just left  or be back at this time and that time.  I write down there name if they will give it to me and say Ok I will call back thank you.   I have been trying the charity approach  with national children's cancer society.  I would like know how to set up appointment and not drive and walk to all these places.  Because seems to me like wasted gas and time when calling is so much quicker.   Rodney and any other veterans how are you closing or setting appointments over the phone?  What type business's easier to cold call. I have been trying all local restaurant's in my city.  I have called around 30 of them. All call back or flat out no thanks.    I am staying positive but like tips or advice what can do better how to improve. 

I am in biloxi gulfport area basically mississippi gulf coast.      Here is my approach   Hello  I am  .........   ................  owner of beach bum vending we are partnered up with NCCS  I say whole thing.  We are calling to see if you would have a foot of floor space for a gumball machine. Part of the prodeces is donated to help out the kids with cancer.   

That won't work. When your with most vending charities, they consider you their local representative,sho when you call, you tell them you are the local rep for nccs, ask if they're familiar with them, them fill them in in what they do, how much the charity vending program had made and ask if they would mind trying it out. It only takes 1 square for of space.

It takes practice, patience and perseverance. I've done it for 13 years and its a game. It helps if you can read people well.

That won't work. When your with most vending charities, they consider you their local representative,sho when you call, you tell them you are the local rep for nccs, ask if they're familiar with them, them fill them in in what they do, how much the charity vending program had made and ask if they would mind trying it out. It only takes 1 square for of space.

It takes practice, patience and perseverance. I've done it for 13 years and its a game. It helps if you can read people well.

Sounds good so I need to change my approach completely and in person do you type up small informational brochure to inform them on the program and the annual revenue and how helpful there foot of floor space would be for the kids with cancer.  When do you follow up or call again?   If say no thanks do call back quarterly  or annually to try and land the location?   And I can't read people at all my I mean at all my wife gives me grief about it. But my wife on the other hand is pretty darn good at reading people and judge of character and just good with people.  I guess I just come across as under confident she said or to extremely confident and in there face pushy almost. But I feel not getting any younger and like to close on the deal like NOW lol and move on to  next place.  What do find easier  by phone or in person  I just like that phone is quicker and I can call faster then can drive or walk.   Thanks for the advice I will give that a try tomorrow let you know the responses. 

Nccs had brochures for cheap that say all off it. Plus, study the website they have. If you're wife is better at reading people, she might be a sales person at heart and do better. I use mostly women for telemarketing.

It's easy for a man to tell another man no. Id's not as easy for a man to tell a woman no.

1. When pitching them try not to sound like you are asking them even though you are. You want to sound like your asking but you are really persuading them.Avoid phrases like "can we", "will you" etc

" Hello Bob is Owner or Manager of the facility available to speak to"  ...No he's not

Instead say "Hello, I need to speak with the owner/manager". If they ask who you are give them your name. If they ask what its about tell them its a business matter. If they say they are the owner/manager continue pitch.

2. When pitching you can use voice inflection as a persuasion technique. The arrows /\ \/ indicate voice pitch going up or down.

Read this out loud:

John, take out the trash /\ 

Your voice pitch goes up towards the end and it sounds like a question and John will most likely ignore it.

Read this out loud:

John, take out the trash \/

Your voice pitch goes down towards the end and it sounds more convincing and John will most likely do it.

To apply this technique to a charity vending script:

Hello, our company places little candy machines to help benefit the National Children's Cancer Society \/. It's free, takes up less than a square foot of floor space and we're responsible for the machine \/. We were just hoping we could drop one off to you at no cost or obligation to you to help children with cancer \/.

Hey beach bum!!! I call all the time for nccs!! When you get on the phone with xxxx..say hi my name is bob...I would like to know if I can talk to a manager?if they say well he's cooking,or he's putting stock away,or he walked out the door...say ok..(you're fishing....don't let the fish get away) do you know when he will be done? Do you know when he will return? Usually they will know...or they don't..so if they don't...say you'll call back in an hour. When you finally get a hold of the manager let them know you're with the nccs...tell them very quickly....( I mean quickly) that you are not asking for a money. You would be surprised how relieved managers are at talking to you then. When they say well I don't have the room..just say hey I believe you,but do you mind if I come down there and see if I can fit something in. If I can't then I will go away..no questions asked. Once you're down there with the machine and they see that its not that much space...then you're in. Hope that helps..jerry b.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Once you get comfortable after about. 20 or 30 calls..you'll take control of these people! Show them that they can't live without your vending...make sure you show them that you are assertive and you are not easily taking no for an answer...(you would be surprised at the absolute DUMB excuses I have heard...

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice and have been changing my pitch and practicing different techniques that everyone has shared.  I landed a location today over the phone.  It's a small car lot nothing write home about but sure beats sitting in the shed collecting dust.  I will continue to call and get better at this sales and cold calling. 

Archived