box truck tires

AngryChris

I'm about to purchase a 1999 Chevy e3500 box truck. The rear tires are bald. I'm estimating $600-$800 just for the four rear tires. The front tires look good. Could I realistically expect roughly 60,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire? Do box truck go through tires any faster than cars?

I'll probably put some other work into this truck like getting the heat to work better and give it a tune up.

I'm about to purchase a 1999 Chevy e3500 box truck. The rear tires are bald. I'm estimating $600-$800 just for the four rear tires. The front tires look good. Could I realistically expect roughly 60,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire? Do box truck go through tires any faster than cars?

I'll probably put some other work into this truck like getting the heat to work better and give it a tune up.

Make sure to keep the tire pressure up - especially on the rear dualies.  Otherwise these suckers will cause the truck to jump all over the road at a certain speed (usually 55 mph)

I always ran Michelins LTX load range E (also called 10 ply) tires and got over 50K on a set. You will pay about $700 for a set of 4 of them mounted and balanced. One thing I learned is with truck tires and any other tire actually, you get what you pay for.

Thank you for that Randy.  That's the kind of answer I was looking for.  This truck has a Supreme box and is approximately 12' long.  It's definitely larger than the stepvan I was driving but I could park that thing in any standard parking space.

Archived