Looking For Info

kmayer29

Hi everyone,

I honestly know nothing about this business. I came here for any info I can possible get in order to decide whether or not it's for me. 

I guess I should start by saying I'm interested in this business because I want to make healthy snacks more readily available to people, specifically young students. I'm a recent college grad. In order to get my degree, I had to take a health class, in which I learned what I should and shouldn't be eating. Thing is, Just outside that classroom is a vending machine containing mostly things I just learned that I shouldn't be eating. I immediately became interested in vending.

I'm pretty sure none of you endorse companies like Fresh Healthy Vending or H.U.M.A.N., but I've been looking into them, as I, again, know nothing about this business and the idea of having people guide me through the process and help secure locations is really appealing.

I don't trust the numbers I see in their pitches, as I'm sure they are massively inflated. I really have no clue what kind of money I can make, or how many machines I would need. I. Know. Nothing.

What does a typical decent food and beverage machine pull in each week?

I don't even now what questions to ask...Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to some threads in this forum?

To anyone who takes the time to respond to this, thanks so much. 

Welcome to the forum.  The questions you ask are valid and good to ask before you get taken by someone who feeds you disinformation.  While there are few here that would recommend healthy vending, it does have a growing place in the market.  The vending market will never be all healthy and if people are given their OWN choice, they rarely choose the healthy item.  It would be a viable segment of the business if you could target like-minded customers like yourself.  Unfortunately there are those who will choose for others and not take the wishes of others into consideration - thus we have healthy vending being shoved down the throats of people who aren't allowed to think for themselves.  While you can say that healthy vending is a good choice for schools, once the students are grown the choice should belong to the students themselves, and not just the vocal ones. 

All of that said, if you are sold on healthy vending then you can save yourself a ton of cash by marketing it yourself and by using generic machines that you can wrap with the graphics of your choice.  There is nothing like building your own business on your own as using a ripoff franchise system isn't the way to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.  There are volumes to read on this topic in the Food and Beverage sub-forum.  You can use the search function using a variety of terms and then if you're willing to read for a few hours or days, you will learn about any aspect of the vending business you desire to know.

Welcome to the forum.  The questions you ask are valid and good to ask before you get taken by someone who feeds you disinformation.  While there are few here that would recommend healthy vending, it does have a growing place in the market.  The vending market will never be all healthy and if people are given their OWN choice, they rarely choose the healthy item.  It would be a viable segment of the business if you could target like-minded customers like yourself.  Unfortunately there are those who will choose for others and not take the wishes of others into consideration - thus we have healthy vending being shoved down the throats of people who aren't allowed to think for themselves.  While you can say that healthy vending is a good choice for schools, once the students are grown the choice should belong to the students themselves, and not just the vocal ones. 

All of that said, if you are sold on healthy vending then you can save yourself a ton of cash by marketing it yourself and by using generic machines that you can wrap with the graphics of your choice.  There is nothing like building your own business on your own as using a ripoff franchise system isn't the way to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.  There are volumes to read on this topic in the Food and Beverage sub-forum.  You can use the search function using a variety of terms and then if you're willing to read for a few hours or days, you will learn about any aspect of the vending business you desire to know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, AZVendor.

I find it interesting that you see this as "choosing for others," as I see it as offering another choice. Most schools only offer junk food. Delicious junk food haha. I'd like to bring in non-junky, delicious snacks so that the kids can apply what they've learned in health class into their daily lives. Anyways, I'm not here to debate... I really do appreciate the response, and will look into the food and bev forum. Have a lot of reading to do...

Oh, and I live in Miami...Seems as though there are plenty of folks down here that are pretty into nutrition. Gyms everywhere. Sure that would be a good place for machines w healthy options, huh? 

Archived