Vendo 511 Door lock issues

jim lee

Have the machine mostly complete and running. Now I'm dealing with the door lock. Big threaded shaft with a T handle on it. Close the door, twist it a couple turns and the door tightens up like it should. But I can't get the lock to engage. Push it in and it just pops back out. Is there a trick? Or is it time to order a new one?

Thanks!

-jim lee

Your door flange is probably bent. This is the part behind the door sheet metal that the lock cylinder snaps into. With years of use the flange begins to warp and eventually won't capture the lock's pop up bolt. You can PM me for the part as I have them in stock.

If this machine has quick close feature where you can push the door closed almost all the way closed and just a few turns to tighten it up the split nuts are a common failure item.

Walt

Have the machine mostly complete and running. Now I'm dealing with the door lock. Big threaded shaft with a T handle on it. Close the door, twist it a couple turns and the door tightens up like it should. But I can't get the lock to engage. Push it in and it just pops back out. Is there a trick? Or is it time to order a new one?

Thanks!

-jim lee

Grab a flashlight and look at the flange that holds the T- handle assembly to the door.  It should be flat against the front panel, if it's bowed you'll need to replace it.  I've had to do this on several of my 511's and you can get the flange from AZ for $24 plus shipping.  While this is only a ten minute job, the tricky part is getting the spring reseated.  There is a slot on the threaded rod that holds a C clip which retains the spring.  Just use the old flange to force the spring down enough where the C clip will line up with the slot otherwise you could be there for awhile chasing that spring around the room

As a temporary fix, you can use a mallet and a screwdriver to pound it back sorta into shape. It's *clearly* a temporary fix, banging on it will decrease it's lifespan dramatically.

Shortening it's life span is a moot point once it's already warped out of shape  but I can see where that might be a good temporary way of getting a machine locked up again until you can get the new flange in hand

Archived