Invisible Vending machines.

jim lee

Until I bought one, I'd not given vending machines a lot of thought. Well, since JR High, hitting the candy machines at school. Then I buy one and WOW! I suddenly see them everywhere! Talk about out of sight out of mind! I also notice, no one sees mine. Its right next to the door! People blow right past it.

This got me thinking, there has to be some way for that big 'ol glowing box to get peoples attention. Maybe I could have it say something when people walked by? Make soda over ice sounds? Something.. Anything! Do people try this? What kind of things are people trying to get machines "seen"?

-jim lee

jim lee

Maybe your lights are so bright in machine, their blinding the people?

Just kidding!

What type of location you have machine in?

White collar people will not drink out of machine like blue collared people!

Time to start looking for new location.

cajun 

Years ago Coke had talking vending machines in the late 80's and early 90's.  You can still find used DN machines with Coke doors that have the wiring for the talking box.  I've never seen or heard one work so I don't know if they were useful or not.  There's nothing in vending to allow you to do this on a machine now so you'd have to make something yourself.   

Until I bought one, I'd not given vending machines a lot of thought. Well, since JR High, hitting the candy machines at school. Then I buy one and WOW! I suddenly see them everywhere! Talk about out of sight out of mind! I also notice, no one sees mine. Its right next to the door! People blow right past it.

This got me thinking, there has to be some way for that big 'ol glowing box to get peoples attention. Maybe I could have it say something when people walked by? Make soda over ice sounds? Something.. Anything! Do people try this? What kind of things are people trying to get machines "seen"?

-jim lee

I have half a garage full of machines I wish were invisiible  ;D

I keep seeing a 3D animated bartender on a screen in front of the machine. Moe Szyslak? When nothing is going on he wipes glassware, fills the peanut bowls, random stuff. When he senses people nearby, he'll encourage then to have a drink. When people buy a drink he reaches out of the picture and the machine vends the drink. 

tumblr_mkp8oun1fS1qh59n0o1_500.png

I'm betting it would get the machine seen. It could backfire horribly though, causing people to smash the machine to bits with sledge hammers.

-jim lee

I keep seeing a 3D animated bartender on a screen in front of the machine. Moe Szyslak? When nothing is going on he wipes glassware, fills the peanut bowls, random stuff. When he senses people nearby, he'll encourage then to have a drink. When people buy a drink he reaches out of the picture and the machine vends the drink. 

tumblr_mkp8oun1fS1qh59n0o1_500.png

I'm betting it would get the machine seen. It could backfire horribly though, causing people to smash the machine to bits with sledge hammers.

-jim lee

It could also cost a fortune.

"Wait- thats a Dixie 440, nope that looks like the bezel off a lowering shelf vendo 407- no thats the 348, built only for the texas 7 up botllers, most were destroyed by the scrapyard- but wait, it has the pepsi magnum door- what?"

• 1 month later...

Very late to the discussion but I want to say that I think a vending machine which 'senses' someone walking past and tries to get their attention so they will buy something would be a supreme annoyance and likely find itself unplugged very quickly. (Especially if I worked in its vicinity.)

And I remember the talking Coke machines - from about 30 years ago. I hated them. I just cringed when I put in money and the machine wanted to talk to me. I put my hand over the speaker and said 'shut up, shut up, shut up' until I got my drink and walked away.

Very late to the discussion but I want to say that I think a vending machine which 'senses' someone walking past and tries to get their attention so they will buy something would be a supreme annoyance and likely find itself unplugged very quickly. (Especially if I worked in its vicinity.)

And I remember the talking Coke machines - from about 30 years ago. I hated them. I just cringed when I put in money and the machine wanted to talk to me. I put my hand over the speaker and said 'shut up, shut up, shut up' until I got my drink and walked away.

Yeah, and the programming for the Talking Coke modules is still there in modern machines. And, to this day, I've never seen one.

Archived