For sale

orsd

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the site's actually for sale.  Wonder what the asking price is.  Pretty hard to monetize forums unless you're able to negotiate discounts from suppliers for your members and go to a paid subscription model.  I'd pay a "Platinum Membership" to TVF if it meant discounts, early release of product/equipment from suppliers, etc.  

I'd be up for learning more about the sale of TVF, if it really is available.

I'd definitely be willing to invest in the site if it meant keeping the site online and preserving the invaluable service of being able to ask nearly any kind of question about the vending business--and having experts answer, same day, for free. 

10k is alot in forum market if there is little to no revenue

Possibly, but you could get coverage by advertising some. I think this was started several months ago. There are ways to advertise and keep a site afloat without spamming it horribly. Like instead of having any amount donated to stop ads, I would make it a set dollar amount to keep a person's view without ads, then approach loan company's to advertise here to help vendors and get paid to do it. 

There is lots of ways to get this done. I would bet that if we went to the suppliers as a whole, they would offer discounts for Vendiscuss members. I'm sure it's been asked before, but company's can be persuaded if as a group we came together and ordered. Leverage is a wonderful tool if used properly! 

If you have a shrewd negotiator and buying power, you can get big discounts from several suppliers. 

This site is potentially a money maker. You would need a reasonable person that took care of the site, like Grant at sitegranted.com and find a way to make it profitable, but not spam it like other sites have done. 

You can sell advertising to the manufacturer as well. It would need to be done classy though, so the new owner would have to have a heart for the site.

I'm sure all of this is common sense, I am by far not the most intelligent on here.

$10k is what I heard

Did you even bother to send an email to ask? Because I did. And that's not the number I was given. I a charter member here. I am seriously considering buying this to preserve what we have. I may not post often but I read almost every day. And it would be ashamed if the buyer only bought this to make money.

Did you even bother to send an email to ask? Because I did. And that's not the number I was given. I a charter member here. I am seriously considering buying this to preserve what we have. I may not post often but I read almost every day. And it would be ashamed if the buyer only bought this to make money.

I tried emailing and most boxes are full.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying to make money, I was saying that out could pay for itself and a like extra, but would have to keep it in check.

I am not all about just money that's for sure! Lol

I don't think Steve or Rhett will mind me posting this here.  It's a copy of the response from Rhett when I contacted admin and asked if the site was for sale and his response is fairly ambiguous so I think it's okay.  My apologies to both Rhett and Steve if I happen to be wrong about that and feel free to delete this post if so.

-----

Hello Rick,

Yes, I am entertaining offers for TVF.

A little background...

I am a personal friend of Steve (caserri). I am not in the vending business nor
do I want to be. Steve has been busy attending to other, more personal items in
his life and asked me to help him take care of his website. My duties here have
been only to approve, disapprove, or move items on the forum. I told Steve that
I would help him as long as he needed me to but that I couldn't offer much more
than what I'm currently doing now.

Unfortunately, It does not appear that Steve is going to be able to return to
his duties as admin so we decided together that the best interest of the website
would be to sell it to someone who shares his vision and is willing to continue
what he has started. Steve is very concerned about the future of the site. He is
very adamant that it be sold to an existing member. Since I'm not familiar with
anyone here, he will have final approval for any offer received.

As for the asking price, there is none. Steve does have a number in his head
that will result in an immediate sale if it is offered but barring that, we will
be taking offers over the course of the next month or so and the site will be
offered to the highest bidder.

If you have any questions about the website please ask. I will forward them to
Steve and supply you with an answer.

Thanks,
Rhett

I'm giving it serious consideration but you're talking about a ton of work and my goal WOULD be to monetize TVF.  And I don't think making money off of this place is an "abuse of the resource" whatsoever.  How much has TVF saved us over the years from getting warned off about biz-ops to community route valuation discussions to experiences with locators and equipment reviews?  I'd gladly pay a fee for that. That being said, I don't think a subscription model is the way to go because the power of this place is the community.  And the minute you tried charging a dime people would just flock to Bulk Vending Forum or some other free access gathering.  

I think the way to go would be use of community purchasing power to negotiate discounts we can't achieve individually.  Think about it.  On the first of every month A&A features Grow Animals or something as their "Product of the Month".  Members have an option to order, enter shipping address and pay directly through TVF acting as a portal and as the site hits certain purchase benchmarks the cost for everyone gets lower and lower.   

Just thinking out loud, that stuff would need to be negotiated with suppliers but I think it's possible.  

Archived