Any recommendations for a reliable coin counter and dollar bill counter

I use a coin sorting machine similar to a Scan coin SC 303. Bought it used, never had a problem. Scan coin and Magner are brands I use, Cummins Allison is fine, but costly to repair. Do not buy Royal Sovereign. Hope this helps, I count the bills by hand.

For coins I got a Delarue Mach 3 off ebay for around $200.  Have had no problems.  For bills, I went with the assumption that the less moving parts the better and got a cash scale, a Delarue Omal 6000 off Ebay for about $100.  The only problem with the cash scale is that it weighs about 20 bills at a time before it errors out.  So you can't just throw $100 on it and have it give you an accurate count.

Given that, I will say that what you get may depend on how you count.  I bag and count each machine separately to track sales trends better.  So I am not counting huge amounts of coin or bills at once without stopping.  If I was just combining all stops into one count, I would probably have gone with a normal cash counter and a coin machine with bags (the Mach 3 has the ability to bag, but I don't have the attachements or have it set up that way).  Another consideration is how many $5s you get.  Obviously the scale doesn't discriminate and most reasonably priced currency counters do not either.

I'm sorting with the Royal Sovereign cash and coin counters from Sams.  The cash counter works fine.  The coin counter can be a little slow but it gets the job done.  They do need to be cleaned often, but I'm guessing all units do.  I think I paid around $350 for both new.  

Today, I got a quote on a few Cummins-Allison counters and got quoted $695 for the basic cash counter - just counts the bills.  If you want the one that has counterfeit scanning ability as well as being able to recognize other bills, you would be looking at $1725.  The basic coin counter is $2795.  It is an additional $495 for the coin roll attachment or about another $400 for the money bag attachments. The coin counter can count up to 2100 coins per minute, which would definitely speed things up, but I'm not sure $2795 plus tax is worth it.  

These could save me about 1-1.5 hours per week.  Not sure if it is worth the 4k I would have to spend at this time.  I don't really see any difference in my cash counter to the CA basic model.  The CA coin counter would certainly smoke my RS model.  

Archived