Funding TVF!

rodney69

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres the problem I am having at the moment....

I don't want to throw good money after bad. If this is becoming one big democracy then we need to have some transparency.

Not to be cynical but why should I donate ANY more money when the site may be sold tomorrow to someone who destroys the original intent of this site? We (as a community) have not heard anything from Steve or any agent acting on his behalf.

I would at least like an assurance from Steve (or his agent) that if we raise X number of dollars then the site will not be sold OR that the site will be sold contingent upon following the founders vision.

Let me be clear though....Steve has a right to sell this site to ANYONE he wants and if thats what he wants then that is cool with me. Its his property. He should do with it as he chooses. I dont begrudge ANY decision that he makes. That being said, I dont think that donations should be solicated while the site is actively listed for sale. I think that is a conflict of interest.

Something that just came to mind...

We could have a pinned section that is for services like vend trak where the site gets paid for the use? They can make a link for the site so that the site gets the money.

Also , there is another one that is doing the same thing. Like a links page that doesn't have feedback, but maybe a star rating system that members can vote on? Vend trak pays half for a year, the other will pay less for a life time.

With that one, if we had 3 people sign up it would pay for the site buy itself.

There is other stuff. I know c.c. companies would do the same.

Heres the problem I am having at the moment....

I don't want to throw good money after bad. If this is becoming one big democracy then we need to have some transparency.

Not to be cynical but why should I donate ANY more money when the site may be sold tomorrow to someone who destroys the original intent of this site? We (as a community) have not heard anything from Steve or any agent acting on his behalf.

I would at least like an assurance from Steve (or his agent) that if we raise X number of dollars then the site will not be sold OR that the site will be sold contingent upon following the founders vision.

Let me be clear though....Steve has a right to sell this site to ANYONE he wants and if thats what he wants then that is cool with me. Its his property. He should do with it as he chooses. I dont begrudge ANY decision that he makes. That being said, I dont think that donations should be solicated while the site is actively listed for sale. I think that is a conflict of interest.

We're not soliciting donations or asking for money. I had an idea and Steve asked me to run with it.

Actually, the oopposite of asking for money, just ideas, but that is a great point.

Is the actual financial cost to run the site $75 per month?

If so, I will put up $150 each year if the site remains as it is (free, no pop-ups, etc).

Use $75 to pay for 1 month of actual site up keep. Use the other $75 to pay whoever wants to mod/run the site each month.

Get 11 other members to match my pledge and problem solved right? If Steve wants to sell it, then contact me or one of the 11 other pledgesand one of us will buy it.

If you want transparency, I paid the next month's fees for the sure do it could be turned back on so we could have this discussion.

I also told him that I would cover the cost until everything was fixed.

Art that point, if the site made enough money, I would like to post my ad for one year to get back the money I paid out.

If it didn't, I was fine with it as long as everyone was able to use the site.

So it is costing me everyday that it's not self sufficient. I'm doing this because I believe in it.

We're not soliciting donations or asking for money. I had an idea and Steve asked me to run with it.

Actually, the oopposite of asking for money, just ideas, but that is a great point.

Weeeeeeell, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  The site went dark for 24 hours with a Facebook post along the lines of "I can't afford to operate the site any more so it's being shut down" and then it's been re-opened by you footing the bill while exploring options.  I would argue there is a STRONG undertone of soliciting donations and asking for money.  Which is why I offered.  I'm okay with paying the donation, I'm not okay with there being a denial it was ever asked for.  

Let's at LEAST call it what it is, unless members contribute significantly more than last month, the site will be shut down next month.  At least give that.  

Is the actual financial cost to run the site $75 per month?

If so, I will put up $150 each year if the site remains as it is (free, no pop-ups, etc).

Use $75 to pay for 1 month of actual site up keep. Use the other $75 to pay whoever wants to mod/run the site each month.

Get 11 other members to match my pledge and problem solved right? If Steve wants to sell it, then contact me or one of the 11 other pledgesand one of us will buy it.

That works for this year, and he doesn't want to sell. That was to keep his dream alive and all the hard work he's put in.

Weeeeeeell, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. The site went dark for 24 hours with a Facebook post along the lines of "I can't afford to operate the site any more so it's being shut down" and then it's been re-opened by you footing the bill while exploring options. I would argue there is a STRONG undertone of soliciting donations and asking for money. Which is why I offered. I'm okay with paying the donation, I'm not okay with there being a denial it was ever asked for.

Let's at LEAST call it what it is, unless members contribute significantly more than last month, the site will be shut down next month. At least give that.

Is any one reading this whole thing? I have started that donations would only be short term and the best way is to make it self maintaining without anyone's money on the operator side.

Really?

I've made all the comments I'm going to. Your going off pissed off emotions, all I'm trying to do is help.

I have not one time asked for a donation.

And I don't do under tones. Nor am I sneaky. I didn't think I needed everyone to know that I paid the bill when I can't afford it just so WE as a group can help the man that's helped us all this time!

Classic

That works for this year, and he doesn't want to sell. That was to keep his dream alive and all the hard work he's put in.

I'll pay that.  We've already established I can cover the $75 a month to keep Steve on board.  

I believe in this site as well. I do not believe in all of the members on this site though. I mean give me a break, there arent 12 members willing to each sponsor 1 month every year??

There are thousands of member here arent there? The site needs less than $1000 to run??

Im sure many of us could give the entire $1000 every year but why should we when thousands of others refuse to give a dime?

Is any one reading this whole thing? I have started that donations would only be short term and the best way is to make it self maintaining without anyone's money on the operator side.

Really?

I've made all the comments I'm going to. Your going off passed off emotions, all I'm trying to do is help.

I have not one time asked for a donation.

Rodney, if your idea is for member's to contribute and I'm a member and willing to contribute - we've reached an agreement!  It is what it is.  I'm okay with donating $75 (and more), I really am.  I'm NOT okay with pretending it wasn't solicited.  The site is not active for me to post this without member donation and Steve told me himself this site may be for sale next month without further member donation.  Not saying this to be difficult, but let's at least call a spade a spade.  

I will leave it alone Rodney. Im not looking to put a bee in anyones bonnet.

I've offered to do the following:

1. Invest money to buy the site

2. Pay for someone to run the site AND pay the actual site site costs for 1 month ($150).

I only want to contribute if there are others who will match my offer. If we dont get at least 2-3% of active members willing to put up $50-$100 per year then what the hell is the sense? That just means no one cares and there is no market for the site at all.

The site needs 50 a month before PayPal fees above what it's doing. The 60-75 is for when it has other costs so they're covered. It is also to slowly build enough so if one month a year or so it can be covered

I'm with you Hippo. I'm in up to $200/month. I love this place and I'm willing to foot the bill. But at freaking LEAST give me that I was asked.

I didn't ask you for a dime. I asked for ideas.

I guess I haven't been clear. If you all want to for the bill, then donate away. The button is art the top right.

That wasn't my intention if you read anything I put up there. Just throwing money art a problem it's not the long term fix. We will eventually revisit this because people aren't listening.

That's how corps stay alive that are run well, because anyone can leave and its still self sufficient.

Either way, if people want to pay, fine, but that wasn't the idea.

Rick, you my friend flat piss me off.

What I'm trying to say is I'm giving you better than an idea, I'm giving you the SOLUTION.  

We need to raise $75 a month or the site may not exist next month...I'm open to ideas...

I'll give you $75 a month...

Well that's fine, but we need $75 a month long term...

Deal...I'll do it forever

But we didn't ask for it...we asked for ideas...

FU** you you didn't ask for it!  That's what this thread boils down to.  Piss you off?  You my friend have a set of balls to be pissed off. I'm offering you a long term donation and you throw it in my face.

What has happened to this place. You got locators soliciting donations to keep the forum opem so they can advertise their service. You got suppliers here, they are party to all discussions so they can figure out how to turn the screws to us. This used to be venders helping venders.

What I'm trying to say is I'm giving you better than an idea, I'm giving you the SOLUTION.

We need to raise $75 a month or the site may not exist next month...I'm open to ideas...

I'll give you $75 a month...

Well that's fine, but we need $75 a month long term...

Deal...I'll do it forever

But we didn't ask for it...we asked for ideas...

FU** you you didn't ask for it! That's what this thread boils down to. Piss you off? You my friend have a set of balls to be pissed off. I'm offering you a long term donation and you throw it in my face.

As I said earlier, he will answer you inn that, I'm not taking donations, nor am I getting anything. You want to pay for it you know where the button is.

I am done. In 29 days my help is done. The idea was for NO ONE TO HAVE TO PAY A DIME AND LET SUPPLIERS, OR WHOEVER INCLUDING MY BUSINESS PAY FOR THEIR SLOT ON HERE, OR ADS. LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL POST!

I will not receive aanything, not will I try to help again. That was it.

I at least I did something. Rick, you want too pay? Great! Just do it. Quit talking about it.

If the bill ever isn't paid, it's on you.

Blow your money if you want, but that's not what I asked for.

I can't believe I let you get under my skin.

What has happened to this place. You got locators soliciting donations to keep the forum opem so they can advertise their service. You got suppliers here, they are party to all discussions so they can figure out how to turn the screws to us. This used to be venders helping venders.

Soliciting donations? Look at original post. And I am a vendor.

Look man, I know you're not getting anything.  And I never said you were a bad person for paying last month's bill.  You're a stand up guy and your heart's in the right place.  

Maybe go to bed, wake up with a clear head and re-read the thread.  

You posted on behalf of the site with a money problem and asked for ideas, I offered 100% of the money thus...the solution.  No more ideas needed.

...and that somehow that got twisted into okay, but we didn't solicit for money.  Wha???  I got under your skin because you're caught up trying to defend the absurd.  

In the past members and suppliers both have donated equipment for a raffle and all the proceeds went to Vendiscuss.

Steve used to run a sidebar that showed how much members contributed to the site.  It was important to me at that time to be near the top of the list, because of how much it helped me.

I would love to see several of the ideas implemented. As useful as this site is to as many people as it is this site should not only be able to pay for itself but should be making steve money. I would prefer steve to just lay down a plan that includes membership fees, advertising fees, classified fees and whatever else then all the back and forth trying to get this member or that members input or approval. Thanks for your effort Rodney but this thread should be proof enough a democracy does not work in this setting.

Archived