Funding TVF!

rodney69

Can a trusted 3rd party host a raffle and donate the funds collected?

I think it's the term raffle is what brings the trouble. I wonder about the equipment being donated and then auctioned off? Similar idea, but might avoid the term?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the term raffle is what brings the trouble. I wonder about the equipment being donated and then auctioned off? Similar idea, but might avoid the term?

I think a charity auction (or similar silent auction) would be a great idea.

Then the final "bid" price is just sent in the way of a PayPal donation and the winner can PM with the supplier for shipment details.

If there were enjough members with equipment, even used in good condition, they were willing to donate to the forum, I could even see TVF fundraising auctions being the primary source of income for the site.

If there were enjough members with equipment, even used in good condition, they were willing to donate to the forum, I could even see TVF fundraising auctions being the primary source of income for the site.

We do have this already. There is an option for it when you list an item in the classifieds.

Or just 20 vendors donate $4.00/mo. We are not funding the next NASA space shuttle mission. Let's make it as difficult as we possibly can.

I did say I could see the auctions becoming the primary source of funds raised, but I am not suggesting it replace donations.

You're right that regular donations would be a great way to sustain the forum. I also think the donations via classified sales is a good idea, though, as well.

Building a few different income channels doesn't sound that complicated to me--financial donations, advertising sales and classified sales donations are all low-hanging fruit here.

The DONATE button should be front and center. Right now it seems to be hidden, and you have to actively look for it.

I would say to put a direct link, with the word DONATE in red at the top of the forums. (Should be easy to add to the secondary_navigation DIV. Used inspect element in Chrome to see that.)

BTW, what was the legal issue with running a raffle?

The DONATE button should be front and center. Right now it seems to be hidden, and you have to actively look for it.

I would say to put a direct link, with the word DONATE in red at the top of the forums. (Should be easy to add to the secondary_navigation DIV. Used inspect element in Chrome to see that.)

I have always preferred it to not be "in your face." We had it in the sidebar once but I wasn't a fan.

out of curisity, why are the summer months more expnasive

tax return entrepreneur added traffic maybe?

The higher cost months are the months during which our various domain names are renewed.

In most states, private lotteries or raffles that are not charitable (benefiting a 501c3 non-profit organization) are technically illegal. 

http://info.legalzoom.com/legal-issues-online-raffles-nonprofit-fundraising-23156.html

In addition, during our last raffle for the chicken machine, there were several members who were upset that they did not win so they reported me to PayPal. I was forced to refund the cost of their tickets. There are just too many issues with a raffle.

Since this thread started, we have been funded into July. I can not thank everyone enough. You folks are awesome. 

Side note: Grand, you have a great looking profile!

Thank you! My previous (corporate) life was in brand development and marketing. Thanks for having a look at my profile! 

It is amazing how the "look and feel" of both your profile and avatar pictures match indiana's. Do you guys know each other? :rolleyes:

My brother (from the same mother)

Or just 20 vendors donate $4.00/mo. We are not funding the next NASA space shuttle mission. Let's make it as difficult as we possibly can.

I would only be half surprised if one of the Mars rovers stumbles across a dusty old Foltz charity head lying in the sand one day...

I see the “For Sale” sign is down does that mean that a funding solution has been arrived at?

Walta

Yup. Check out the new "donate" page from the main navigation.

I did look up the laws about online raffles after posting, so I do understand the problem there. Never have been a fan of the government telling people what they are allowed to do with their own money. Other then making sure these types of things are legit, I think they should be allowed everywhere.

I have always preferred it to not be "in your face." We had it in the sidebar once but I wasn't a fan.

I understand this, but I am not sure you really have a choice. You survive by donations, but hide the donation button. If it isn't in people's face, they won't know, or remember it's there. It doesn't need to be anything obnoxious, but say the word DONATE in red at the top of the forums. I would say put it under the DIV secondary_navigation, centered. (I used Chrome's inspect element.) It would be noticeable, easy to find, and I don't think it would be obnoxious, or in your face as some websites I have seen.

I honestly believe you should not only have the website fully funded, but should make a profit off of it. This site doesn't just pop up on it's own, or run itself, and has helped a lot of people become successful, and avoid pitfalls many beginners fall into. You deserve compensation for that.

I honestly believe you should not only have the website fully funded, but should make a profit off of it. This site doesn't just pop up on it's own, or run itself, and has helped a lot of people become successful, and avoid pitfalls many beginners fall into. You deserve compensation for that.

Well said.  More than staying afloat, it would be nice if the site turned a profit to reinvest and grow.  

Im surpised the suppliers arent willing to kick in a little, this is a large forum. They are receiving some great exposure IMO.

Beaver already offered. Give the others a little time. Corp approval isn't something that's easy. Most have a lot of people they have to go through.

Right now they are focused on the nbva and probably haven't logged on.

Beaver offered as soon as they saw it.

Im surpised the suppliers arent willing to kick in a little, this is a large forum. They are receiving some great exposure IMO.

Anyone who locates for themselves should NOT be surprised.

While locating, I often talk to owners who run companies of all sizes that have absolutely NO business savvy.

And employees are worse.

Obviously, business know-how is not #1 on the list of things one needs in order to succeed in many industries.

Anyone who locates for themselves should NOT be surprised.

While locating, I often talk to owners who run companies of all sizes that have absolutely NO business savvy.

And employees are worse.

Obviously, business know-how is not #1 on the list of things one needs in order to succeed in many industries.

That is so true Sherlock

Im glad Beaver offered. Beaver Machine Corp is awesome! Love those people

Archived