AP Snack Shop 4000 Lighting problem

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my AP 4000 that is not lighting properly.  First, a little history.  The bulbs were continually burning out every 6 months or so.  A friend of mine said its probably a bad ballast.  I bought the one VE said I needed and installed it.  I got a new bulb and a new starter(FS-2) and installed them, turned on the machine and waited for the magical moment of it lighting up like a Christmas tree.  However, the light was flickering and only one inch on the sides of the bulb lit up.  I also tried another starter that did not work either.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Ed.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my AP 4000 that is not lighting properly.  First, a little history.  The bulbs were continually burning out every 6 months or so.  A friend of mine said its probably a bad ballast.  I bought the one VE said I needed and installed it.  I got a new bulb and a new starter(FS-2) and installed them, turned on the machine and waited for the magical moment of it lighting up like a Christmas tree.  However, the light was flickering and only one inch on the sides of the bulb lit up.  I also tried another starter that did not work either.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Ed.

Take a good look at your sockets - they can become corroded or possibly even broken.  Most of us are getting those cheap LED kits now rather than maintaining the old fluorescents.

Take a good look at your sockets - they can become corroded or possibly even broken.  Most of us are getting those cheap LED kits now rather than maintaining the old fluorescents.

I was messing with the sockets and nothing was any different.  Maybe I could replace them too.

What cheap LED kits are you talking about?  The ones I have seen are like $189.

Ed,

Some of the lights made nowadays need to use an FS25 starter instead of the FS2.  You ballast should also show that it can handle 14-20 watts or it might not be the correct one.

Sounds like a bad bulb to me. I bought a case of the 30" bulbs from bulbs.com and had one that was bad. It just wouldn't light-up all the way. Seems that was the bulb I carried around with me. I tried it on 2 or 3 different machines and it would do the same on all of them. I tried a different bulb and it worked right away. Can't remember which starter I used but I keep the usual ones with me and if one doesn't work I try a different type (fs2 vs fs25).

I was messing with the sockets and nothing was any different.  Maybe I could replace them too.

What cheap LED kits are you talking about?  The ones I have seen are like $189.

Cajun's got a source that sells them for 20 bucks a kit and I've been buying the Sylvania kits for less than 30 bucks at Costco.

LED's have come way down in price in the last year.

Sounds like a bad bulb to me. I bought a case of the 30" bulbs from bulbs.com and had one that was bad. It just wouldn't light-up all the way. Seems that was the bulb I carried around with me. I tried it on 2 or 3 different machines and it would do the same on all of them. I tried a different bulb and it worked right away. Can't remember which starter I used but I keep the usual ones with me and if one doesn't work I try a different type (fs2 vs fs25).

You know that could be it.  I'll try a different bulb.  The place where I got the bulb from has given me a bad bulb before.  

I have recently used LED bulbs from both Amazon.com and buyvendingmachinesonline.com

541-359-9316. They run from $12-$15 ea.( lot of 5) depending on length. No starter needed. Just remove old bulb and starter, put in new bulb, turn on power.

Update:  I grabbed a working bulb to give it a try.  At first it did not work but when I backed off the starter it went on.  I tried the other bulb and had no luck.  Not sure why it worked when I put in and took out the starter, but I'll roll with it.  Thanks everyone!

I have recently used LED bulbs from both Amazon.com and buyvendingmachinesonline.com
541-359-9316. They run from $12-$15 ea.( lot of 5) depending on length. No starter needed. Just remove old bulb and starter, put in new bulb, turn on power.

I went to buyvendingmachinesonline.com and thought those LED bulbs looked real nice.  So, I don't need a starter with those and I just put them right in the socket?

Archived