Machines from bottlers

I just lost a location to someone who came in with newer bubble front Pepsi graphic machine (manufactured in 2012).  I had a Vendo V540 flat front generic label and the lady at this location told me she was sold on the idea a newer machine.  I am curious as to how independent vending operators can get machines from the bottlers.   I spoke to a guy from Pepsi earlier and he seemed offended that I even ask that and said all they do is recycle the machines once no longer utilized.   Any suggestions? 

Welcome to the world of vending where every vendor is only a commodity to be changed whenever the wind changes direction. It's obvious that unless your machine had vending issues the account was destined to be easily swayed by a prettier machine and there wouldn't have been much of a chance to save it. Accounts like that feel that they deserve new machines whenever they desire them with no regard to whether a vendor actually makes a profit.

As to getting hooked up with a bottler, that is called third party vending and in some areas and with some bottlers there is no such program or they aren't taking any new vendors on. Each bottler location can usually make that decision on their own unless they are corporate owned and have to follow the corporate directives. All you can do is try to get to a third party person at the bottler to see if they have one and if they would sign a new vendor up. Just remember that they are more impressed if you have multiple locations that you want to place their equipment in now and then they want to see future placements. They don't want you putting their machines in poor accounts that you wouldn't put your own machines in and they don't want dangerous spots where there is likely to be vandalism.

They also require minimum case purchases. Something like ten cases a month per machine or something. It only makes sense to use bottler machines if you're big enough.

And customers like that? Oh, man. The number of times people ask me for new machines is astronomical. And then you go and put in a brand new, top of the line 5800-6 with a touchscreen, and they get mad because they think they're "beta testing" the machine for you. 

They also require minimum case purchases. Something like ten cases a month per machine or something. It only makes sense to use bottler machines if you're big enough.

And customers like that? Oh, man. The number of times people ask me for new machines is astronomical. And then you go and put in a brand new, top of the line 5800-6 with a touchscreen, and they get mad because they think they're "beta testing" the machine for you. 

You should have gotten it right the first time and provided the machine that they had envisioned privately in their minds.

Yeah. And we should just know when a machine is broken, without anyone having to call and report it. Our vending senses should be a tingling.

That is absolutely correct. After all, we send robots to mars so how hard is it to make machines that can report every error in realtime and notify you at any given moment so you can stop whatever you are doing and fix it? The answer: greed and capitalism. That's why vendors don't buy new bevmaxes -greed and capitalism.

Our local bottler has never told us that we need to purchase any amount per machine. We simply call and order the machine and they deliver. Couldn't be easier. Of course we use their product by 95% -5% . They also repair when needed. I normally call them for any parts I need, go to the plant and pick them up. All they ask for is the asset number for the machine.

Some bottlers are very reasonable like that especially with high volume vendors with a good track record. This is how it worked for us in Phoenix as well especially since we bought all our soda direct from the bottlers. As we had almost as many owned machines as bottler machines it made making the minimums of no consequence for us.

Archived