Locating full line. Today was a dud. What should I expect?

Called 20 manufacturing plants, and 2 barber shops. 50% didn't meet my qualifications (either 30 employees or a waiting room), 25% didn't want a soda machine, 25% already had one.

I'm a little discouraged with these results because I used to do gumballs and if I started the day with 10 machines that needed to be placed, I'd have 0 machines that needed to be placed at the end of the day.

I'm now starting to realize why locators want so much money.

Did I simply not call enough people, or is my area saturated?

Locating for full line is a lot different then a gumball machine, I've found 95% of the accounts that I want already have a vendor at least here in Arizona. Its all about what you can offer to them that the current guy can not, such as better service, one point of contact, newer machines, cheaper products, commissions.   I am all about getting my name out there so that the first time their current vendor messes up they call me.  

I am happy if I get 1 account every 100 attempts!

Good luck!    

I think you need to adjust your point of view.

If they do not now have machines it is very unlikely the location will generate enough revenue to be profitable.

So you are looking for are looking for find locations whose current vendor is not providing best quality service to profitable locations.

You should ask. Are the machines often sold out of the item you want? Do the machines take dollar bills? Do the current machines operate correctly? When they do malfunction is it repaired promptly and correctly? Is the current equipment kept clean? How long has the current equipment been on sight? Does the look of the current equipment current equipment fit well with their décor? Is the pricing to high? Do they receive there commission checks on time? You need to find out if this location wants high prices with high commissions or lowest prices and no commission or maybe something in between.

Once you understand there wants and needs you need to show them how you will better serve them. Yes your gains will be someone else’s loss.

Often it is more about personal relationships and who knows who and this leads to compliance and poor service

Walta

Called 20 manufacturing plants, and 2 barber shops. 50% didn't meet my qualifications (either 30 employees or a waiting room), 25% didn't want a soda machine, 25% already had one.

I'm a little discouraged with these results because I used to do gumballs and if I started the day with 10 machines that needed to be placed, I'd have 0 machines that needed to be placed at the end of the day.

I'm now starting to realize why locators want so much money.

Did I simply not call enough people, or is my area saturated?

When I started, I did a lot locating primarily to places that did not have any vending service - and as Walt  said , most of these places turned out to be duds and I spent a lot of money on moving and equipment before I found a few decent locations.  Were I to do it over, I would have concentrated more on sodas only locations like tire shops and auto body centers.  The other thing I would add is that a small manufacturing facility with only 20 employees will be a much better account than a whole floor of 100 secretaries.  Lower your sights a little and realize that all the premium accounts are probably taken.  To get going you'll need to focus on places that the big boys have overlooked.

I have never cold-called trying to place machines , but have walked into businesses and have gotten several locations.  A lot of places will already have vendors in place and will not be interested.  However, some locations will not be happy with their current service.  I like to go in new businesses and ask them.  I just got one that opened recently.  I walked in and told them that I have an extra pop machine and I am looking for a home for it.  They agreed.  After about a month they asked if could bring a snack machine too.  It's always good to have a flyer or business card to give them.   

Also, I know a guy that would drive around and write down business names, Google them and then email them.  He claimed he got some locations this way.  

Good luck!

Archived