$1300 to repair compressor for a vending machine?

Spencer

Hey guys,

So apparently the compressor in my schools vending machine is broken and the repair man said it would cost $1300 to repair. I thought this was slightly steep but I have no experience with this stuff. I was wondering if you guys think that's an ok price.

The compressor turns on, i can hear it, but the vending machine never cools.

I'm not competently convinced it broken because the pipe leading out of the compressor gets frosted over. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

That may be about right to install a brand new compressor in an AP320 unit on location, if the machine is about hour from the shop.

Please do not confuse compressor with the refrigeration unit, the compressor is only one of the parts that make up the unit.

If you paid for an actual diagnosis you should get more than “It will cost 1300 to fix”. You deserve an explanation of what parts have failed and in what way they are damaged and a breakdown of parts and labor need to complete the repair.

To me that sounds like the, I do not want to do this job pricing.

Will you please tell us the make and model of the machine?

How many refer repairs has this person done for you?

Do they specialize in vending machine repairs?

Walta

If it's your typical Dixie Narco, Royal, or Vendo stack vendor, then $1,300 is way out of the park.  I agree with Walta though.. it sounds like someone who really doesn't even want to fix it.  You can probably buy a new refrigeration unit new and install it yourself for much cheaper... but that's if it's a typical vending machine and nothing like a fancy food machine.

Hey guys,

So apparently the compressor in my schools vending machine is broken and the repair man said it would cost $1300 to repair. I thought this was slightly steep but I have no experience with this stuff. I was wondering if you guys think that's an ok price.

The compressor turns on, i can hear it, but the vending machine never cools.

I'm not competently convinced it broken because the pipe leading out of the compressor gets frosted over. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

You were wise to ask - without more info (get us the make and model of your machine) I'd say this guy either doesn't know any better or is taking you for a ride.  In most machines you could get two new complete decks for that price.  If you do in fact have serious issues then you'll probably be in the $600 ballpark.

From your description you might only be low on freon. If you actually have a bad compressor then your cooling unit can be rebuilt for anywhere from $425 to $800 or so depending on the model. Assuming you have a stack soda machine you'll be on the low end of that scale. If you're only low on freon then a recharge shouldn't be anymore than $200.

If you can't find a satisfactory tech in your area you could always ship the unit to me for repair.

That is pretty common for Refrigeration people that work on home ac and ice makers. They aren't going to rebuild a unit. They will order a brand new unit double the price and bill you.

AMS can be diagnosed in a matter of a few minutes. Turn the vendor off and get a extension cord to plug into another outlet. Unplug the   compressor down in the lower right side of the cabinet and plug it into the cord. There shouldn't be anything else running so you can hear the compressor run. Listen for any clicking sounds also is the condensor fan running. If no clicking and the fan is running in a few moments frost should be appearing on the top of the evaporator and after a few minutes the evaporator should become totally frosted over. No frost or very little means you have a leak and the unit needs to removed and the leak repaired. 

Deck removal isn't too hard after the first couple you do. You will need a good drop light, 3/8 ratchet with a long extension and a 1/4 inch socket with a long extension.

#1 Remove the bottom two shelves the harness is long enough you won't have to disconnect them. From the bottom of the shelf at the back push up slightly and pull the shelf towards you and stand it next to the door. This makes it easy to get to the back of the unit.

#2 locate the temp sensor in the middle of the dog house and remove the bracket with a 1/4 inch nut driver. Removing the bracket lets the dog house move move more freely when removing it.. 

#3 Remove the dog house covering the compressor (3/8 bolts) making note of how the power harness and suction line and drain tube is routed in the notches at the back of the dog house.

#4  There are 4 3/8 inch bolts holding down cooling deck. 2 on each side in the rear and 2 in each side in the front. Remove these bolts

#5 At each end of the evaporator there are 2 1/4 inch self tapping screws holding the evaporator in place. Remove these screws and also you will see a metal cover covering the power inlet in that area. Make sure vendor is unplugged and remove that cover sometimes it can be in the way. There are 2 or 4 more 1/4 inch self tappers in the top of the evaporator also that will need to removed. The evaporator now should be free to move. 

#6 Being careful not to bend any copper tubing pull the deck towards you making sure not to bend anything. Watch all wiring also to make sure you don't cut any wires, 

Now that you have the deck removed inspect it for any oily residue on the copper lines. This can be a sign of where the leak is. Support the evaporator  by tieing it to the condenser with wire, cable ties etc.

There should be a plate on the vendor that indicates the Refrigerant used (should be 134A) and the amount of Refrigerant used. Approx 10 oz.

Find someone in the yellow pages that work on Ice makers and take the unit to them and find out how much to fix.   Should not be more than $75 to $150 for a leak repair and no more than $400 for new compressor. You might have to check with a few.

Archived