Buying "New" Equipment

kiwi

I was wondering how many operators on this forum buy "new" equipment... seems like most operators prefer to buy "used" equipment or refurbished equipment...

Is it just because of the high cost of "new" equipment.... I would of thought that a lot of high volume location would demand "new" machines?

I do not think there is enough benefits to buying new, new snack machines run 2500 to 3500ish range....... a refurbished machine that has the same or very similar parts will run 1000 to 1800 range.

Nobody will know the difference except another vendor!

I do not think there is enough benefits to buying new, new snack machines run 2500 to 3500ish range....... a refurbished machine that has the same or very similar parts will run 1000 to 1800 range.

Nobody will know the difference except another vendor!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question... I would probably do the same if I was based in the US but because I am not I have to buy "new" in most cases.

try 5k new

Try 10-12K here...  ;D

The reason I bought new back in my vending days was because I had no available cash.  With 10% down I could finance my machines on 3 year notes.  It was credit card interest for sure but it was the only way I could buy $100,000 of equipment every year during our growth years.  That was only for snack, coffee, and food machines as I was in deep with the bottlers too.  It wasn't the way we recommend people do vending now but fortunately I was getting good accounts that could pay for the machines.  Even today, if you don't have the cash and a top account presents itself, financing could be the only way to do it.  That's how USI has lasted as long as they have, all on their financing.

I was wondering how many operators on this forum buy "new" equipment... seems like most operators prefer to buy "used" equipment or refurbished equipment...

Is it just because of the high cost of "new" equipment.... I would of thought that a lot of high volume location would demand "new" machines?

The biggest problem with the new snack machines, besides the cost, is that they're built like crap.  This is not a problem for the big vendors who buy most of these machines as they write them off after five years but for the rest of us that need something that will last many years - the new stuff won't get it.  We sometimes buy the new soda machines as they're still built to last.

The last machines I purchased new (10) make the same as the refurb's I buy now. All of my machines that I buy, whether new or refurbished are new to me. Financing was the reason I purchased the new ones.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question... I would probably do the same if I was based in the US but because I am not I have to buy "new" in most cases.

Try 10-12K here...  ;D

Is that in American money or that third world chump change?  ;D  ;D  ;D

The biggest problem with the new snack machines, besides the cost, is that they're built like crap. 

I couldn't agree more... I think as the years go by & manufacture find ways to save a dollar here & a dollar there the build quality of US manufactured equipment has dropped significantly.

The same thing happened here in our manufacturing industry with companies like Fisher & Paykel. They use to manufacture appliances that would last for years but then when cheaper Chinese manufactured equipment started to hit the market they changed their quality to try & match the cheaper stuff that was in the market instead of continuing to just build quality equipment & sell at a premium price.

I always thought that AMS Vendors still built equipment to last but that may have changed with their Epoch Series of machines...

That's how USI has lasted as long as they have, all on their financing.

Are USI the only company that offer financing options in the US?

The last machines I purchased new (10) make the same as the refurb's I buy now. All of my machines that I buy, whether new or refurbished are new to me. Financing was the reason I purchased the new ones.

Hi Allen, what brand of equipment were the 10x machines that you purchased new?

Is that in American money or that third world chump change?  ;D  ;D  ;D

At least my 3rd world chump change is helping to support your US manufacturing industry! ;D 

It's a pity that these manufacturing companies don't except sheep as a currency in exchange for equipment though...   ;D  ;D  ;D     

I couldn't agree more... I think as the years go by & manufacture find ways to save a dollar here & a dollar there the build quality of US manufactured equipment has dropped significantly.

The same thing happened here in our manufacturing industry with companies like Fisher & Paykel. They use to manufacture appliances that would last for years but then when cheaper Chinese manufactured equipment started to hit the market they changed their quality to try & match the cheaper stuff that was in the market instead of continuing to just build quality equipment & sell at a premium price.

I always thought that AMS Vendors still built equipment to last but that may have changed with their Epoch Series of machines...

At least my 3rd world chump change is helping to support your US manufacturing industry! ;D

It's a pity that these manufacturing companies don't except sheep as a currency in exchange for equipment though...   ;D  ;D  ;D     

Yeah - like you'd actually give up your sheep  ;D  ;D  ;D

I was new to vending and bought all Chinese combos......Ugh!

Your probably right about that... I could send you a couple of Rams... you Californian's are a bit strange so you might get into that!  

You did have a football team named after one....  ;D  ;D  ;D

The biggest problem with the new snack machines, besides the cost, is that they're built like crap.  This is not a problem for the big vendors who buy most of these machines as they write them off after five years but for the rest of us that need something that will last many years - the new stuff won't get it.  We sometimes buy the new soda machines as they're still built to last.

Yep. One of those new National, mostly plastic machines is going to look like crap in five years. Meanwhile, a National 167 that's a dozen years old looks brand new when refurbished. 

My newest machine is a 2007 AP 931, got it super cheap, "vandalized" but I got it working and all it needs now is a paint job with the tuff front I have for it. It just might past for a vending machine! 

givemebeer.gif givemebeer.gif givemebeer.gif

cajun

Yep. One of those new National, mostly plastic machines is going to look like crap in five years. Meanwhile, a National 167 that's a dozen years old looks brand new when refurbished. 

Yep... another prime example of manufactures trying to cut costs by replacing everything with plastic wherever they can.

I am on my way to collect a 167 that I brought last week... I have only seen a picture of it so I don't know what condition it's in...  but I also only paid 5 bills for it so I guess I can't complain if it needs a little bit of work...   ;D

Archived