AP 123 display

I am experiencing a problem with an AP 123A snack. From time to time the customer reports the machine won't accept any money. I go there and it works. Today the called again and when I got there, the display was not working. Would a bad display cause the machine to reject all types of money? I know those board are no longer being made by AP/Nat'l. Any input?

Thanks

I had a problem with an AP 113.  The problem was that the "female" plug/harness (whatever you want to call it) that the coin mech plugged into had an EXTREMELY hard-to-detect short where the coin mech plugs in.  I would get there and the machine was working fine.  The PROBLEM was that people would shake the machine when something to hung up, which caused the hair-sized copper wire to slightly bend under its own weight and just barely short out the coin mech.  Once the coin mech was slightly shorted, the machine seemingly shut-down (including the display) as the coin mech was not operational for a few moments until the copper wire apparently moved far enough away to stop shorting out the machine.  I found this kind of on accident.... but my transformer went out soon after which forced me to have to replace the board anyway.

My point is that you should check for any possible shorts.  I don't know if the AP 123 is operational without a coin mech or not... and I also don't know what exactly a short can do, but it's possible you have a short.

Before I would change the display I would wonder if you.

1 Have you replace or remove the light bulb and starter?

2 Have you inspected the cord for damage and replace if any is detected?

3 Is the ground pin missing from the plug?

4 Is the machine plugged into grounded outlet?

5 Have you tested the ground on the outlet?

6 Did you measure the voltage from the back up battery?

Almost every part of this machine could fail in a way that would make the display go blank.

If I thought the display may be the problem I would put it in another machine and wait to see if the problem moved with the display.

Walta

Validator and coin mech work fine. Just no display. Customer reports that sometimes it will not accept any type money at all.

Double check your ribbon connection especially at the board end - had the same problem with a Studio 1 awhile back.

Steve, check your PM box for my response to you.  I'll repost my testing suggestion here:  Try checking for constant voltage at the P5 connector on your logic board.  This is power from the transformer and if it varies too much you will have issues like this.  Check for 8VAC on pins 3 and 4 and 24VAC at pins 1 and 2.  These voltages may not show unless one lead is on the ground wire in pin 6.  If the voltages vary by more than 10% then you have a bad transformer.

I had a loose display connection on a DN5591 that would cause the display to go on and off randomly (almost always when I wasn't there).  I have nothing concrete to add to your question, just the observation that a dead display (caused by whatever reason - it doesn't matter) will result in really weird and inconsistent feedback from your customers.  This may help you or others.  Since the display isn't working and there is no visual feedback for them, they will report all sorts of perceived problems that send you down strange paths.  I had reports of the machine taking money, not taking money, not dispensing product, etc.  In the end, the ONLY thing wrong was that the display would occasionally shut off.  The machine continued to work properly when this happened, but with no feedback, the customers had no idea what was happening so they reported all different kinds of problems.

Archived