Lift Gate for a 2005 Dodge Dakota

RikaKazak

Just curious if anyone had any recommendations.  I'll be using it to transport key masters, cotton candy machines, and other machines around that weight/size (so about 650 pounds).

I've found a bunch of lift gates on craigslist, but none of them will fit my Dakota (it's too small).  I really don't want to buy a bigger pickup because I LOVE my Dakota.

Any suggestions?  The cheaper the better ;)

You can't put too large a liftgate on your truck or it will obscure the tail lights.  Go to TommyLift as they have sizes to fit all vehicles.  Plan on spending about $1500.

Just curious if anyone had any recommendations.  I'll be using it to transport key masters, cotton candy machines, and other machines around that weight/size (so about 650 pounds).

I've found a bunch of lift gates on craigslist, but none of them will fit my Dakota (it's too small).  I really don't want to buy a bigger pickup because I LOVE my Dakota.

Any suggestions?  The cheaper the better ;)

If you can't find a Tommy Lift to fit your truck you might consider the Enduro Stair Climber - not cheap but the favorite of pro movers and it will reach high enough for a tailgate.  Also handy for up and down stairs.

Thanks guys for the input....I looked into that stair climber and it looks SWEET!  Anyone use them?  

I bought a Powermate L1 but it's not tall enough to give me the proper leverage when loading into a pickup.  It did come in very handy when I had to move out of a second story location (Supermarket break room - what a dud!).  All the pro movers I use prefer the Enduro as it will handle a soda machine up and down stairs fairly easily.

how about the obvious... if your truck can have a liftgate  get a trailer...

Yep, Northern Tool sells a one machine trailer for about 5 bills - you just need a hitch.

how about the obvious... if your truck can have a liftgate  get a trailer...

I have a small trailer my dad made (it's how I currently move machines) it just sucks getting it on/off the trailer (I use those arm moving straps + 1 friend and we lift it on).

Is there an easier way to get it off/on?  Can you just buy a ramp and ratchet it up/off?  (I have no idea, the trailer doesn't have a ramp currently)

Wanted to add, my friends are SICK and tired of helping me move the machines....so whatever set up I use in the future needs to be a 1 man operation.

There is a Tommy Lift made for the 2002-2011 Dakotas. It lifts 1000 lbs and can be ordered with an extended platform. The model is Dakota TP and it requires the T-31 mounting brackets. Check out Tommygate.com. The trailer above is also a great idea.

I bought a used landscapers trailer and raised the sides to four feet so I could tie off equipment. It has a full width tail gate about four foot long so you can push machines into the trailer pretty easy. I added a power winch to the front top rail so if I have a really heavy machine I can still load it by myself if needed

• 3 weeks later...

JLG Triple L trailer UT28

2200 capacity

Width 4ft 4inch

8ft long

Trailer weight 1600

It would be neat if there was an enclosed trailer that worked like that instead of a eight foot drop door.  

I bought a used landscapers trailer and raised the sides to four feet so I could tie off equipment. It has a full width tail gate about four foot long so you can push machines into the trailer pretty easy. I added a power winch to the front top rail so if I have a really heavy machine I can still load it by myself if needed

I use a landscape trailer and it sucks because the drop tailgate is the pressed metal and the wheels of the crane want to get hung up in the small holes.

The imports have larger wheels, the US made cranes for some reason have really small wheels that are a pain everywhere not just loading. I have a piece of plywood I put down on the tail gate for the really heavy us cranes. I can usually push a 42" rainbow on but some older cranes are heavier. That why I have a winch with a remote

• 2 weeks later...

The imports have larger wheels, the US made cranes for some reason have really small wheels that are a pain everywhere not just loading. I have a piece of plywood I put down on the tail gate for the really heavy us cranes. I can usually push a 42" rainbow on but some older cranes are heavier. That why I have a winch with a remote

I'm looking for a sprinter van with a lift if any of you guys have one for sale.  I love the economy and flexibility of an open trailer, but don't have the luxury of controlling mother nature when i do pickups or deliveries.  I am on a tight schedule so i have to haul whenever i can, regardless of the weather.  

I'm looking for a sprinter van with a lift if any of you guys have one for sale. I love the economy and flexibility of an open trailer, but don't have the luxury of controlling mother nature when i do pickups or deliveries. I am on a tight schedule so i have to haul whenever i can, regardless of the weather.

We like cargo trailers

I'm looking for a sprinter van with a lift if any of you guys have one for sale.  I love the economy and flexibility of an open trailer, but don't have the luxury of controlling mother nature when i do pickups or deliveries.  I am on a tight schedule so i have to haul whenever i can, regardless of the weather.  

Sprinters are big but I can't imagine using it to haul cranes unless it was a dedicated vehicle for that.  The shelving I have in mine for product won't allow room for anything much bigger than the smallest candy cranes.  I am not 100% certain that the roof is tall enough either.  I have the tall roof extended body 3500 Sprinter (2008) so they don't come much bigger.

I have given thought to getting a tall enclosed trailer to pull for days I need to move equipment and have my product with me.

Sprinter and liftgate don't match??? Back doors swing open so liftgate wouldn't work I don't think?? Need roll up door

I have thought of some type of lift for mine but that was issue I ran into

I can haul 10 Multicades in mine or 10 of my standard coin pushers . The size of my machines are directly related to the size of my beloved sprinter!!

Archived