Midwest Locators Fails the ultimate test

rakusa

I don't want to make excuses for Midwest. They charge a premium at $50 per spot and need to make good on their guarantee. They also need to do a better job on communicating. Based on past history, I do believe that they will make good on all orders and replacements - eventually.

However, the owner is no longer working due to a serious health problem with her mother. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. She is not a passive owner and her absence (both physical and brain power) in the business is clearly showing. This is the one down side to owning a business. If we or a family member have a serious health problem, we don't get a paid leave of absence and our business will most likely suffer. Again, not making excuses since they need to deliver as promised. But all of the facts need to be presented.

I don't like this situation any more than you do and in the end "business is business". But as a business owner, I do appreciate the reality of their situation.

Jax

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is a rough time for Midwest with its leader not there all the time, it should prove to be a great opportunity for the company to become a self-sustaining operation. This will help in the future. I think we will all start to see the positive come out of this. I do wish the owner's mother well.

While it may not be everyone's business what is going on behind the scenes, I think maybe they should send an email saying there is a family emergency. That way customers would be more patient if they have been waiting for a location a long time.

And that makes no sense to me. Everyone has email and I even check mine on my cell phone. All you need to do is have a few canned messages and send them out to a list of waiting customers. It is a very cost effictive method of communicating I think. I have one Yahoo address and 3 Gmail addresses for no charge.

I don't want to pile on here but I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. I contracted with MidWest to find me 1 location back in October of 2008. I am still waiting for that location. The last email I sent them was on 2/27/09 asking for an update. Jaclyn responded 4 days later informing me of Marjorie's mother. She also stated that they will be working on my location on 3/9/09.

2 weeks later, I still have not heard anything. I have been waiting almost 6 months for 1 location. I consider myself a fairly patient guy. :D

Steve 

surely they know who you are and about this site.well at least they treat all thier costumers the same.

I would hope that they treat everyone the same. I don't want nor do I expect preferential treatment.

Steve

surely they know who you are and about this site.well at least they treat all thier costumers the same.

I would hope that they treat everyone the same. I don't want nor do I expect preferential treatment.

Steve

it apears that they do

I let you all know that I had retained them for a 5 head rack placement. Well over a month later they had nothing. I called and requested a refund....over the phone. Magically about 2 hours later they call and have a location for me. I go to check it out.....this place physically has no room for a rack. Plus its a college take out deli. I informed them when I paid them this rack had 2 2" toys, 2 1" toys and a gumball....not exactly a college geared rack set-up. I reply this is not acceptable and I want a refund. They reply that I was provided a location and i chose not to take it, all refunds need to be approved by the owner.......this doesn't float. I informed them I can have the owner verify the rack will physically not fit in the restaurant. I will never use a locator again. They may or may not refund me but this is fraudulent.  I cannot recommend using this location service....I understand some of you have had a great experience with them and I can appreciate that however once is enough for me. Unfortunately the amount I paid falls below even small claims court so if they don't want to refund me I'm screwed....lesson learned.  

Furthermore I have the emails to verify all of this and I can have a written affidavit from the owner in case anyone wants to take issue with my explanation. I don't plan on pursuing this any further however I will keep the emails for at least a year.

Locating commission bulk rack locations over the phone is extremely difficult. I would not use a telemarketing service for that purpose. Midwest's model is more suited for placing charity candy machines. The whole pitch is very different and they must make contact with the high level decision maker. I know they also do full line vending on commission, but IMO that is different animal from a bulk rack.

Jax

I go to check it out.....this place physically has no room for a rack. Plus its a college take out deli. I informed them when I paid them this rack had 2 2" toys, 2 1" toys and a gumball....not exactly a college geared rack set-up. I reply this is not acceptable and I want a refund. They reply that I was provided a location and i chose not to take it, all refunds need to be approved by the owner.......this doesn't float. I informed them I can have the owner verify the rack will physically not fit in the restaurant. I will never use a locator again.

I realize that you did not get what was expected and I feel your pain.

I also understand the frustration and will not make excuses for Midwest.  What I have learned is that you have to make the best of every location and be somewhat flexible in your setups.  Each location is valuable and they are in short supply.   Each location is different and what works in one may not work in another and the physical space can vary greatly.  As stated before, I don't believe in one-size-fits-all in bulk vending.  It's better to have a variety of equipment at your disposal in order to respond to the different environments.

So in this case, based on the demographics (college students) and small physical space, I would have placed a 3 head setup with gumballs, one candy and a 2 column flat tattoo machine.  College students sometimes will buy the crap out of tattoos (I have one near the UCF campus and it does great).  They usually buy some gumballs as well.  The candy can be hit or miss with college students, but MI or RP may work out.  Or maybe try the acrylic rings for the college girls since the waitresses really like them in my restaurants.  2 Inch would probably suck with the college crowd unless it was an NFL or college sport item.  Or simply place only flat tattoos there to start with.   I believe you have some sticker machines in storage, I would try and place one in that location with the limited space.

What I am saying is to try and turn the negative into a positive and be flexible in your setups.   Every location is valuable to me and I try to do everything to salvage it.  If an owner lets me in, I am going to place something there (and I don't care how many other machines are already in there) even if it's just a hoops machine with gumballs.  Just my opinion and just trying to make the best of a not-so-good situation.  Good luck with the refund.

Jax

I agree with Jax and that is the way I have handled every single location I have received since I started my business in November of '07.

I rarely if ever ask for a location change within the guarantee period. I make the best of the location changing product etc. to come up with a workable situation.

My trouble has been with relocation for not meeting minimum income per machine levels. I agree with trying to put something in there but I think he paid a good deal more to place the rack then he would have for a sticker machine. So I can't blame kai for not placing it based on the refund part.

• 1 month later...

Yep......I am VERY disappointed at what has happened since January 5th to me and my order of 10 doubles, 3 racks, 10 Shootin' Hoops, and 3 triples with Midwest. Last year at this time I was riding a pink cloud with them week after week etc. This year? The only thing I am riding is my bike on the boardwalk here in the evenings, my truck when I am servicing a route,  and my T Bird on a sunny day. They have been a total disaster for me. I have hesitated to say any of this. But........enough is enough already. I have been very very patient with Midwest. I am ready to call for a full refund.

And the part that really kills me is they have such a large area I have allowed them to cover and find locations for.  Oh well.........

T bird,

I am sorry to hesr that..I was really hoping it was just me..They blamed a lot of this on me.."Not having a web site..where they cold send folks"...."not having a "named" charity that they could use" (I explained to them my philosphy..not good enough for them...

I really am disappointed ..because they were terrific last summer and fall for me....

I do not know what happened(I know marge's mom was ill) but that should not throw the whole thing in the toilet...Bummer

T bird,

I am sorry to hesr that..I was really hoping it was just me..They blamed a lot of this on me.."Not having a web site..where they cold send folks"...."not having a "named" charity that they could use" (I explained to them my philosphy..not good enough for them...

I really am disappointed ..because they were terrific last summer and fall for me....

I do not know what happened(I know marge's mom was ill) but that should not throw the whole thing in the toilet...Bummer

Hey Jay.......yep.......I remember you having success back then with them.  What a shame things have turned so badly for them.

• 3 weeks later...
It is now five months and counting for me.  I am sitting here scratching my head about this in terms of how and why Midwest would allow so much time to lapse on me and my order.  They obviously know that we have this web site and we talk to each other about stuff.  ( $1600.00 worth! )  I am not calling them.  I am just gonna let it lay and see what happens.  Last year at this time I was on the roof top hollering about how well Midwest was doing for me.   :angry::o