Bottle and Can Deposits in Oregon and other states

VPDXNW

Hi all,

I'm sure that paying these deposits brings up a sore spot in Oregon, California and any other state where they get charged.  I lose about $10,000 a year that I can never get back due to these mandatory deposits. Is there a lobby group, or a way for us to build strength in numbers so we would eventually be able to have exempt status? We have no way to be able to get our deposits back, and "passing the costs" along doesn't work in a vending machine.  Going from 1.00 to 1.05 just doesn't work.  Thoughts?

I was about to write that you need to get big business on your side but if you are selling 200k a year in cans and bottles then you might just need to get other big businesses on your side.

Oregon doesn't appear to be real business friendly so I don't like your chances.  Nike founder Phil Knight recently wrote an editorial that he would most likely not be able to start it today in Oregon under the current business climate.  Good luck.

NCV Portland used to put recycle bins next to their soda machines, and have the route drivers pick them up when they serviced the machines.

But do you really want to lug around big bags of smelly cans abd trash with bugs in em?

Regardless of what state you operate in, when there is a container deposit there are no exceptions, exclusions or deductions for the expense. You have to pass it on or eat it as a cost of doing business. You might join NAMA and try to fight these laws but those fights haven't gone very far before.

Recycling yourself and recovering the deposits is your only other alternative. Sell it as being the eco-friendly vendor.

Archived