Bowling Vending Machine

BigAls

I have an Ebonite Pro Shop vending machine with a bill acceptor that's acting up (Conlux NBM-3140). Currently the bill acceptor will not accept more than 4 single dollar bills. Once the 4th one is put in, it will reject the 5th, and no longer accept bills until we empty the bills and reboot the whole machine. It also will not accept $5 bills. It also jams constantly if it even takes money to begin with. 

I verified the DIP settings on the unit - DIP#2 is set to ON (meaning its set to accept $5 bills) - It doesn't matter weather its a new or old $5 bill, still gets rejected. 

I cleaned all the IR sensors, cleaned the belts with IPA99, and scuffed them a little with emery paper. Unit still does not accept more than 4 single dollars. 

I presume the bill acceptor is at the end of its life and we need a new one. I'd like to venture away from the Conlux and get an MEI bill acceptor. Can anyone recommend a replacement that will work in place of the Conlux NBM-3140? Any specific wiring adapters or modifications needed? 

I believe that is an MDB bill acceptor, but am not certain. If so any 24v mei validator will work so long as it has an MDB harness (which you can easily buy online) and the bezel fits the conlux bezel size. Look at the Mars 2512.

To me it sounds like the vending machine control board is disabling 5 dollars bills and the fifth one dollar bill.

The control may think if lacks enough change to pay out 5 dollars if the coin return were pressed, so it is programmed to stop taking bills it cannot pay back.

Some machines are programmed to stop taking money once it has accepted more than the highest price set in the machine.

Some vending machine control boards can be programmed to accept or reject 5 dollar bills.

Anymore it is very rare for a bill acceptor to fail in a way that allows ones to work and fives not to work.

Walta

Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely check out that Mars bill

Walta, what you're saying makes sense. I'll verify all this again but here was my observations earlier when I was near the machine.

There was about $20 in quartersand $5 in dollar coins in the unit. I did verify the coin dispenser does operate.

The highest price item is programmed at $20.

I will verify my control board settings (not just the bill acceptor settings) and update here with the results.

Archived