very interested in vending

Sector 9

Hi, I'm a part time college student working on my degree in accounting. I also work part time at a store. Something that has interested me for years is soda vending. I'd like to have a vending machine or 2 as a side job while I'm working on my degree. The problem I have is finding people who are in the business and know what they're doing. The internet doesn't help out a lot on info because a lot of it is vague. Where do I start? There seems to be much more to it then meets the eye. 

I hope I don't seem arrogant asking these questions. 

I know how to make it a business by naviigating the SBA's website for instructions. Here's my problem. 

How do I go about finding a location? Do those vending locators really work or are they a scam? (kickstart, nortec, for example)

I live in the north western part of Virginia

Thanks for any info you can provide me with, Jared

Welcome to the forum, Jared.

Navigate to the Food and Beverage sub-forum where you can search for newbie and first time vendor posts.  You won't be the first one so there is a lot of reading to do regarding this.  Stick to can soda as it's easiest to handle, buy and sell.  The simplest single price machines will be good workhorses for you as well.

Read the forums and take your time - no need to jump into anything right now.

Hi, I'm a part time college student working on my degree in accounting. I also work part time at a store. Something that has interested me for years is soda vending. I'd like to have a vending machine or 2 as a side job while I'm working on my degree. The problem I have is finding people who are in the business and know what they're doing. The internet doesn't help out a lot on info because a lot of it is vague. Where do I start? There seems to be much more to it then meets the eye. 

I hope I don't seem arrogant asking these questions. 

I know how to make it a business by naviigating the SBA's website for instructions. Here's my problem. 

How do I go about finding a location? Do those vending locators really work or are they a scam? (kickstart, nortec, for example)

I live in the north western part of Virginia

Thanks for any info you can provide me with, Jared

Welcome to the forum Jared,

You've come to the right place!  Running soda machines is a no brainer.  Look for Tire shops and auto body centers to locate your machines - these are not usually high volume accounts but they won't demand a snack machine which is something you'll want to avoid - keep it simple.  It can be amazing how many sodas a few guys in these locations will go through in a month so even a small account can make you $50 an hour which i'm sure is a hell of a lot better than your doing in that store.  Most of these places will want energy drinks (Monsters are the most popular) so you may need to rethink the single priced machines as they are only good for 12 oz sodas.  Look for deals on Craigslist and run them by us before purchasing.  One of the problems that novices have is their transportation - you must have something that will hold a convertible hand truck as well as all the sodas - sedans won't get it but a small truck or SUV would do fine. AND AVOID LOCATORS.

Thanks for the the replies! Very helpful info. I'll be sure to check out the newbie forums for info and let you guys take a look at a vending machine that I may come across.  I'll be sure to avoid locators. 

Archived