Do y'all replace light bulbs?

I'm torn on this. I have 50+ machines and could literally change out a bulb once a week all year long. Big time hassle and not cheap, but I do like the way they brighten up the machine and make it look nicer. Thoughts?

I am getting a drink machine ready for location tomorrow and bought bulbs to install in machine today.  When I bought them I noticed something was loose / rattling inside of bulb but I didn't pay it any attention.  Well when I installed bulb inside drink machine the bulbs started flickering. I think the bulb is bad.  Will take it back tomorrow.

I have noticed a definite increase in sales since I started replacing burnt out bulbs. Bought a route where 60% wernt even there, I think I'm now out performing the previous vendor by at least 10%. Still have some to go, yes its expensive, but it pays too.

cleaned up and bright........ wow what a difference.

I don't know about the ballast but the bulb just needs to be at room temperature or so. If you heat up a fluorescent bulb enough, it will start to flicker and possibly light up even without electricity but you really need a lot of heat and friction. I often do this in the winter before I put them in the machines.

I have noticed a definite increase in sales since I started replacing burnt out bulbs. Bought a route where 60% wernt even there, I think I'm now out performing the previous vendor by at least 10%. Still have some to go, yes its expensive, but it pays too.

cleaned up and bright........ wow what a difference.

This is what I always try to get across to my customers but many of them don't see the importance of having their machines lit up.  It makes the machine look inviting. 

AZ how long does it usually take for ballast to warm up ?

Just a few minutes to 1/2 hour.

When I first started vending I bought a few accounts from a vendor none of the machines had lights, I vended the machines with no lights for the first year.  Once I added lights to all of the machines I saw an increase in my sales almost immediately.   So yes spend the little extra money and put lights in all of your machines even the low producing accounts. 

Thanks for the replies. You've definitely motivated me to keep working bulbs in my machines.

I've heard rumors that a bulb at the end of it's life stage can cause a control board to go crazy...any truth to that?

Also, some of you have mentioned "ballast" ....is this the same thing as a "FS-U condenser light starter" that attached at the end of a bulb?

Is there a resource online where I can use the machine model number and get the exact bulb specifics?

You are correct. Flickering lights can cause electronic noise which can effect the control board. That is why we are changing to the LED bulbs. They also do not require a starter. Just power down machine, remove old bulb and starter, insert new LED bulb, power up. No brainier.

Thanks for the replies. You've definitely motivated me to keep working bulbs in my machines.

I've heard rumors that a bulb at the end of it's life stage can cause a control board to go crazy...any truth to that?

Also, some of you have mentioned "ballast" ....is this the same thing as a "FS-U condenser light starter" that attached at the end of a bulb?

Is there a resource online where I can use the machine model number and get the exact bulb specifics?

The device at the end of your bulb, or close to the bulb is the starter and is needed to boost the charge inside the bulb so it will light.  The ballast is a transformer and is mounted remotely from the light fixture, sometimes in the door next to it or in the bottom of the machine.  You can follow the wires from the fixture to find the ballast.  Replace the bulbs when they get darker on the ends.  Not grey but dark.  That is close to the end of life and if it flickers trying to restart it can send out electromagnetic interference that can lock up a logic board.  I've even seen the USI boards damaged by that type of interference.

I forgot to add that I'm not aware of any all-inclusive listing of what bulbs fit in what machine.  I can always answer that for you though.

I am getting a drink machine ready for location tomorrow and bought bulbs to install in machine today.  When I bought them I noticed something was loose / rattling inside of bulb but I didn't pay it any attention.  Well when I installed bulb inside drink machine the bulbs started flickering. I think the bulb is bad.  Will take it back tomorrow.

Sounds like the cathode in the end of the lamp was broken.  It's always best to buy your lamps in case lots as they'll be less expensive and won't be broken as they're packed much better.  Most of the smaller lamps are only rated for 10,000 hours (there are 8,760 hours in a year)  The lumen levels start to drop off significantly at 8,000 hours so it's best to swap them out once a year even though these lamps may last 12,000 hours due to no "on off" cycle.  If you have enough of the same lamp size then buy a case and do them all in one service cycle and stick the old lamps back in the case.  These suckers are a golpher to clean up if you break one which you will if they're all loose.  I have replaced most of my oddball sizes with the LED kits and buy a case of the AP7600 lamps once a year.

I have installed new bulbs before and they never would completely light up.  They were not flickering, just staying around half lit, or less.  Is this a ballast issue or starter issue?

If the ballast is bad, will the light come on at all ?

And same question for the starter ?

Thanks!

You need to also replace the starter when you replace a bulb.  Chances are that the old starter wore out trying to keep the old bulb lit and the shunt inside will fail preventing it from dropping out of the circuit.  You will probably find that a 1/2 lit bulb will light all the way when you remove the bad starter.  This is normal but leaving the starter out will then prevent the bulb from relighting later if it goes out because the starter won't be there to help the bulb light.

There are also time when a starter is the wrong size even though that size is called for by the type and size of bulb used.  The most common issue I find now is that longer bulbs that always used an FS25 now won't light unless an FS2 is used, and sometimes vice versa.

Basically any bulb up to 20 watts should use the FS2, up to 25 watts uses the FS25 and up to 40 watts uses the FS4, but the lines are often grayed when approaching the upper wattage limits.

Here is an interesting idea .... plug-n-go LED lights, mounted magnetically inside the machine.  Anyone have experience with these?  As opposed to buying  bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LED-Light-Replacement-for-F14-T8-Fluorescent-Bulbs-/400738147824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4ddaddf0

Look like you need to run power to those lights. I prefer LED bulbs that you just remove the old flourescent bulb and starter, then insert new LED bulb and power up. Nothing else needed. 24" bulbs on eBay cN be had for around $10/ea-$15/ea with shipping. Be sure that the ones you buy have the 120 LEDs in 2 rows. I can't yet say how long they last as we have only be using them for about 8 months so far.

Yep , this is the kind of stuff we use

"this kind of stuff" meaning the LED strips that I linked from eBay .... or the LED bulbs that 'cvending' is talking about?

Look like you need to run power to those lights. I prefer LED bulbs that you just remove the old flourescent bulb and starter, then insert new LED bulb and power up. Nothing else needed. 24" bulbs on eBay cN be had for around $10/ea-$15/ea with shipping. Be sure that the ones you buy have the 120 LEDs in 2 rows. I can't yet say how long they last as we have only be using them for about 8 months so far.

I cannot find any reasonably priced LED bulbs on eBay .... what am I missing?  Can you send me the link to an auction and/or seller that you've used?

Archived