what do you do with YOU'R employee?

TKK

So i need an employee asap. Do i need a certain form to be filled? Would just be part time say 2 days a week maybe 8hrs a day...id like to do everything else like collecting the cash ordering inventory, repairs, upgrades, growth, etc. What do you guys do to minimize theft? Im assuming they can take 10 bucks a machine every month and youd never know!

You will never know how much they steal unless you track all of your meters, compare them to the collections and track all of the change in the coin mechs.  You also have to track all of the product meaning you need to know what is in the machine after the last service, how much is added now and what the ending inventory is.  You have to track all of the inventory on your truck too.  You can lose inventory as well as cash.

You first stop should be your lawyer there are hundreds of scams employees can run on you. The requirements will be different in each and every state.

I once hired someone that had a mental problem if they can get past x number of days you cannot let them go.

There are people that live on unemployment they work 31 days and then you pay then not to work for 300 days.

Also make sure you get workman’s comp insurance.

One of my customers told me each of his 4 100% telemetric routes, cash counted to within a dollar of the telemetric report. Yes some long time route men did leave for new opportunities.

Walta

Im considering part timers but they are friends, id like to be in controll of collections and repairs as well as inventory. Have u guys marked bills?

Im considering part timers but they are friends, id like to be in controll of collections and repairs as well as inventory. Have u guys marked bills?

Run them all through a payroll service - it'll save you a mountain of paper work.

My buddy says he has an app that tells him the witholdings and then every 3 months he send that to the irs. What im more concerned about is the theft part

My buddy says he has an app that tells him the witholdings and then every 3 months he send that to the irs. What im more concerned about is the theft part

Having an app to tell you what the withholdings are is cool but YOU need to withhold it from every check and YOU need to send it every three months. Or you can let a payroll service do it. Employees want to be able to see their pay stub.

About the theft... Using telemetry will help but you'll have to account for coins used to replenish coin mechs, account for coin jams, machibe s that can jackpot, etc... There is no way of preventing theft unless you go 100% cashless.

Employees will steal, period.  It's a cash business.  We would monitor our accounts by setting up stops for pickup early the next morning. Then I would go late the day before to pull out all of the dollars, count them and put them back in the validator.  The next morning we had that location as the first stop of the day for that driver.  When the driver turned in the machine bag the next day I would count the dollars and there better be more then I counted the night before or I knew we had a problem.  It is well worth the money to put card readers on machines to reduce the amount of cash the employee handles.

We also had problems with employees stopping and selling cases of beverages off the truck.   You just have to stay on top of it constantly.  We finally installed a system that showed via the computer, where the trucks were and what was going on every minute the truck was out...plus a small camera inside the truck cab and the back showed us more information.  

Do a lot of ride alongs too.  Two times we had to bring criminal charges against two drivers.  They were found guilty and we did get some of our money back...we had some insurance which paid if we won in court.  It is just part of this business...

• 4 weeks later...

Training my guy tomorow. Does anyone have a contract or something like a template that they must fill out? Like a non compete etc....

We use ADP for our Payroll. They have a program called RUN I believe, perfect for 1 part time person. I just call them a day or two before I need the checks and give them the guys hours. They give me a total including everything taken out, payroll tax, etc.

We use ADP for our Payroll. They have a program called RUN I believe, perfect for 1 part time person. I just call them a day or two before I need the checks and give them the guys hours. They give me a total including everything taken out, payroll tax, etc.

Can you tell us how much you pay, per payroll with "RUN"? Do you run payroll for yourself as well, or is that handled with your end of year taxes?

Sam's Club does payroll for $34 per month (0-5 employees). Benefit Mall is about $35 with "XpressPayroll".

I pay $46 biweekly to ADP to run payroll. 1-3 persons. They also take out payroll taxes and workers comp.

Paying myself? I don't think they allow that here in California. .. lol jk. Any withdrawal i cannot write off goes down as an owners draw on my taxes. Then that money is subject to income tax, self employment tax etc.

All employees are potential thieves period. Trust but verify as Ronald Reagan once said about Russia. It is hard enough for large operators to have enough safe guards in place much less a small operator. Make them fill out fill sheets for each stop and do setups every 30 days at various accounts. I will not go into detail on a public forum of all the ways to rip off a vending company but if the person is smart you would NEVER know unless you caught them red handed. 

Have a non-compete signed by any and everyone you hire, period!!

Many of the banks (I know BB&T) now offer payroll services that works well for small business operators. They know exactly what paperwork is needed and keep up with everything for you. 

Archived