AP 6600 Upgrade

laip51

I have an AP 6600 that needs a bill acceptor. I see ads for a Mars VN 2501 Retro Bezel conversion and requires an available 2000 series power cable. Is this the suitable upgrade or are there other options to replace the old Ardacs? 

I have an AP 6600 that needs a bill acceptor. I see ads for a Mars VN 2501 Retro Bezel conversion and requires an available 2000 series power cable. Is this the suitable upgrade or are there other options to replace the old Ardacs? 

You can do either the VN 2501 or the slightly newer VN2511.  Note that neither of these validators will work if you upgrade the board to MDB in which case you could use a VN2512,

You can do either the VN 2501 or the slightly newer VN2511.  Note that neither of these validators will work if you upgrade the board to MDB in which case you could use a VN2512,

The 2511 should not be any different from the 2501.  From my understanding, the third digit (0 or 1, and maybe even a 2 or 3) refers to the mask that the validator originally came with.  I always get them mixed up, but I believe a 2501 was for bottles and 2511 was for snacks.  Since we are capable of changing masks on those validators, the third number doesn't really mean anything.  You just need to make sure to have the correct mask.

Ignoring the very first digit (2), the 2nd, and 4th numbers tell you everything you need to know about the validator.  The 2nd digit is for the series.  In a 2511, the 5 is the series and refers mostly to vending.  The 4th digit (1) stands for 110 volts.  In a 2612, the 6 stands mostly for amusement vending, and the 2 stands for 24 volts.  In a 2712, the 7 is the MDB generation and the 2 stands for 24 volts.  The third digit is just the originally installed mask.

To further clarify, ordering a 2511 could end up resulting in the wrong type of mask.  It's been a while since I upgraded an AP 6600 but I believe you needed a stock 2511 which should be the VFM (snack) bezel/mask.  This is a direct replacement for the VFM series which used a VFM (snack) mask.

A 2501 should work with the VFM bezel.  I wouldn't call it a "retro" bezel because that sounds very misleading.  You just need a standard VFM/snack bezel.  Those are the same types of bezels you see in any other machine with a Mars 2000 series validator with a snack bezel as well as many soda machines since snack bezels usually work in soda machines (which is probably why they seemed to drop the bottler mask and use primarily snack masks now).

To upgrade the 6600, you need an entire kit consisting of a communication cable from the validator to the board, a power harness from the validator to the communication harness, and 2 small brackets.  It's a little tricky the first time but the installation might take 30 minutes the first time depending on how well you can read the installation notes that should come with your kit.  The kit itself might cost anywhere from $40-$60.  I haven't ordered one in a long time though.  If I had to upgrade a machine right now though... I could probably do it in 10 minutes and I would HAPPILY install a Mars VN 2511 in an AP 6600 to replace an Ardac.  I would do it even if the Ardac worked!  I don't think there is a single person on this forum that would say anything good about those big old clumsy Ardacs.  The USA-15 model wasn't bad but the big bronze ones that came with the AP's were junk junk junk.

On the other hand, I would also happily upgrade an AP 7600 (but maybe not a 6600 unless it was the XL model) with a newer board and an MDB validator because that would be a REAL upgrade.

I think the expense of upgrading this older machine would not be justified. I believe just using for as long as possible is the best choice. Everything works fine on it except the accepter is cratered.  Does anyone know if refurbished original ARDAC 420147 or Mars 420147 are available? I have a DN# M9579-024 marking but can't run it down. Maybe copied wrong.

I think the expense of upgrading this older machine would not be justified. I believe just using for as long as possible is the best choice. Everything works fine on it except the accepter is cratered.  Does anyone know if refurbished original ARDAC 420147 or Mars 420147 are available? I have a DN# M9579-024 marking but can't run it down. Maybe copied wrong.

We upgrade these old machines because the build quality is far superior to any of the newer machines designed with MDB.  It's not so much the cost but the fact that all the newer machines are crap.

Good point Moondog. If a simple case of a 2512 and cable, it would sound good. I have read a lot of confusing options that say other parts must be changed depending on the board etc. I did buy this cheap along with a 501T in good shape (also requiring an acceptor), I am just not well technically informed to trust getting into a "project". Thanks all for the advice.

To install a Mars validator you will need two mounting brackets, a Mars harness between the validator and the board and, of course, the Mars 110V validator with a VFM mask.  PM me if you want to upgrade it to the Mars and I'll give you the prices.  The Ardac is not worth repairing at all and a Mars validator will run for years.  It's easy to do with safely routing the harness being the only difficult part of the job.  I can send installation instructions along with the parts.

As far as the brackets you might have gotten lucky and the brackets could be in the bottom of the machine. Usually in a large white envelope These brackets were shipped with the necessary hardware to add mars validators on all new 6600 and 7600. If so all you need is the data cable I think it will run about $30.00. AZ should be able to help with that.

To install a Mars validator you will need two mounting brackets, a Mars harness between the validator and the board and, of course, the Mars 110V validator with a VFM mask.  PM me if you want to upgrade it to the Mars and I'll give you the prices.  The Ardac is not worth repairing at all and a Mars validator will run for years.  It's easy to do with safely routing the harness being the only difficult part of the job.  I can send installation instructions along with the parts.

I service an AP7000 (not mine) that sounds like it has had a similar upgrade. The Mars bill and coin are MDB and it works really good. Now that it is MDB can a card reader also be added?

As long as the machine is converted to MDB then any card reader can be installed on it.  You will need an extension harness to go from the modem by the coin mech to the card reader on the front of the door.  I have those in stock if you need one.

As long as the machine is converted to MDB then any card reader can be installed on it.  You will need an extension harness to go from the modem by the coin mech to the card reader on the front of the door.  I have those in stock if you need one.

I've got to install a handful of card readers in the next 4 weeks. I'll get with you on that.

Archived