Royal Merlin IV backspacer with tall bottle

New bottle is taller than what the longest backspacer setting can accommodate. I took out the backspacer to see that the back wall is smooth. This new bottle fits the column with 1/8 " - 1/4 " space. It test vends just fine. Are there any problems with vending the bottle with the backspacer removed? I suppose I could just move this bottle to a front column and remap the column, but I always like to know what versatility I have available in a machine.

Related, has anyone ever seen the tabs from an adjacent backspacer cut a bottle open? It looks like a stack of bottles where the lower ones touch those tabs could put enough weight and pressure on a lower bottle so that it could be cut. Just wondering. Guess I could grind every tab in every hole in every machine I have. :)

Bottles won't generally be bothered by the tabs of the rear spacers poking into adjacent columns.  They're firm and flexible enough to avoid cuts.  You do need to check for clearance if you're running cans though.  You also don't want to remove any rear spacer because the bottles will then slip out the back of the column and get caught on the rear stack assembly as the column is drawn down, causing a jam.

I am sure you are correct about the potential for jams, AZ. I am not familiar enough with the Merlin IV to visualize what you are saying, though. Of course, it is almost impossible to see everything in the rear columns of these Royals, anyway. Wonderful machines otherwise. Here are some pics of mine with, and then without, the backspacer. (Sideways, but clear, once you turn your computer 90 degrees. Wish I knew how to fix that.) I have test vended it 10 to 15 times with varying numbers of bottles stacked, and everything looks like it is moving smoothly. Any clarification would be appreciated.

To answer the obvious question any reasonable reader would ask - Why fight a machine to fit one specific bottle? - well, this bottle is important to the location representative. I will not risk aborted vends and angry customers over it, though.

Thanks,

LB

post-9490-0-41879400-1431403437_thumb.jpg

post-9490-0-06222700-1431403457_thumb.jpg

post-9490-0-07862500-1431403513_thumb.jpg

post-9490-0-97477700-1431403530_thumb.jpg

This bottle. 24 oz.; sport top; solid, attractive construction; very attractive price point; manufactured by the national company headquartered down the street from us. Employees and executives (who are also nearby our machines) are interested to see their recently redesigned bottle vend well in everything.

post-9490-0-81544200-1431430619_thumb.jpg

post-9490-0-60974800-1431430636_thumb.jpg

That looks like it fits fine, but the caps have to be to the back in the back columns so the tops don't get caught on the angled divider.  Consequently, you must also have tops to the front in front columns.

Ha! Good catch, guys. I was vending them both ways, so I could report back to the sales rep as to what does and does not work. If they can shave 1/16" off the top, this should work without removing and storing the backspacer. Dixie Narco is next on the test list. Should be no surprises there.

This is a great bottle, btw. Crystal Springs 24 oz. The top is handy, the size is good, and the price is better than 20 oz Aquafina. I had one cap not snug, and it dripped like three drops. (I hope it was an anomaly.) The only real drawback is that the label is not as sturdy as, say, Aquafina labels.

LB

When sport top 24 oz bottles came out they worked fine in the Vmax machines from Vendo, but just barely.  The sport top caps are the problem as they add length.  If they would just produce a twist cap 24 oz bottle then there would be no issues.  The DN E models will work fine as well.  You just have a tight fit in the Royals due to the finite space available in front and back columns. 

Archived