Trouble opening USI snack machine

Hello,

I recently purchased a route, which included a USI Snackmart. I've had trouble opening it in the past, but have been able to get it open buy jiggling the key a bit. I wasn't able to open it this time after trying for about half an hour. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knew what the problem may be.

Thanks for your help.

When you buy a route the first day should be spent changing every single lock.

If not you have no idea who else has the keys to your machine.

When a lock fails to work correctly stop and replace it then. Do not wait for it to become inoperative.

At this point you may be forced to drill bad lock out.

Walta

Hello,

I recently purchased a route, which included a USI Snackmart. I've had trouble opening it in the past, but have been able to get it open buy jiggling the key a bit. I wasn't able to open it this time after trying for about half an hour. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knew what the problem may be.

Thanks for your help.

If this lock takes the round key, then drilling it out is no big deal.  What you need to do is get a very small drill bit that will fit into the round slot and drill those tiny pins you see until it pops open.  This will take about 10 minutes with a cordless drill.  You really do need to get your own locks in these machines.  Medco is the best and you can get your own unique key with a purchase of twenty locks.  Most of  us use LSI in Florida for these.

Since this is a Snackmart machine the entire issue is probably related to the lockbar in the door.  It could be jammed due to a poorly adjusted inside bracket or because the bar is missing some of the screws and bushings mounting it to the door.  The bar could also have come loose from the T-handle if the nut came loose.  

Try lifting on the lock side of the door while turning the handle or even try unlocking it and then lifting the front of the machine up an inch or two and dropping it on the front legs.  This could easily jar the lockbar loose.  Then you can survey the cause of the jammed bar.

Archived