Genesis Office Deli combo compressor wont stay on

My combo machine will not cool drinks.

When I test the compressor from the diagnostics (TS) screen I can hear the compressor turn on for a few seconds then off again. I checked all connections. Could it be a relay or thermostat? I am not sure it is the thermostat because the diagnosis screen shows the correct temperature (78 degrees).

Any ideas why my compressor will not turn on would be appreciated.

(P.S.... I hate combo machines)

If the compressor clicks on and then clicks off (sound heard from the compressor itself) then you have a bad compressor.  If it turns off quietly then the machine is signaling the relay to turn off.  The board sends 24v to the relay when the temp sensor tells it to cool and removes the 24v when the cycle should end.  The relay in turn will then connect the power to the compressor and it starts.  This is all done quietly because the relay is solid state.  If you hear a clicking sound then that's the compressor's overload shutting the compressor down which means you have a bad compressor.  If the cycles begin and end quietly then you may have the difference between cut-in and cut-out too close together.  Unfortunately Seaga decided to constantly power the condensing fan so that prevents the fan from turning on and off with the cooling cycles, which would be a helpful tool in diagnosing issues like this.

You should have an Office Deli manual, which it sounds like you do, and in it there should be some vague directions to programming the cut-in and cut-outs as well as the target temperature.  It can be very tricky to program these so you may have them wrong.  If you need the compressor rebuilt you can send it to me for that.  The problem with the compressor is that it's only available in Korea and not in the US, and Seaga will only sell a complete new cooling system for close to $1000.  After much searching for another unit in the past I have found a source for a comparable compressor and I can rebuild it for you if needed.

Yes, that is the same.  Your range might work better at say 36 - 42 to better avoid any frozen cans.  What was the range before you adjusted it?  Do you have the hard clicks I mentioned?

I honestly don't remember any clicking sounds. The account is 30 min. away and barely worth my time, so I will check for those hard clicks again sometime after the holiday weekend, and let you know.

I am not sure what the temp. was before before I changed it. But it seems the unit will not even attempt to power on the compressor unless I actually tell the board to test it. I wish I could hardwire the compressor to stay on... or something.

... it seems the unit will not even attempt to power on the compressor unless I actually tell the board to test it.

You didn't mention this before.  I've had this issue before and I'll try to remember what I found.  Have you checked that the compressor and temp sensor harnesses are properly connected where their harnesses meet in the lower right corner of the cabinet?  If you've ever had those connections apart at the same time you could have gotten two of them mixed up as two of the three connectors are the same.  Also take an ohmeter and ohm out the wires from the board to the device.  Of course, make sure that the harnesses are properly connected at the board.

Well, I checked on it again and the drinks are magically ice cold.

The only thing I can think of is that when I played with the temp settings it reset something... and maybe the compressor turned on later after I left.

Archived