USI 3517 leaking water

i have a used USI 3517 that is leaking water from the refrigeration deck. Went there on Tuesday and water had leaked all over the floor at the location. I called USI and they said the drain tube was probably clogged. So, I managed to pull the refrig deck out. The tray inside the unit that appears to collect the water was bone dry. I did not see a tube but there was a "chute" that appeared to direct water into the tray. When I had the unit out and tilted it to the side, water started filling the tray. Went back to the location today and water is starting to collect in the bottom of the machine again. Any ideas what is going into?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kevin

That cooling unit is one of the worst that USI ever built.  Not only is it a bit ch to get in and out of the machine, it's also almost impossible to get apart when you have to work on it because they glued the panels together.  Your problem is caused by a kinked drain hose.  I've seen this problem on that unit before.  Because the hose kinks the water can't drain out of the evaporator drain pan and so it runs out onto the floor of the cabinet.  You'll need to pull the unit again and work your tiny (hopefully) hands and arms inside the unit from the back.  You can't remove the hose because of how it's attached so you have to work on it while it's deep inside the unit.  I fix the kink by using an adjustable metal hose clamp and position it directly over the kink.  Begin tightening it so it will flatten out the kink a bit.  Don't go too far or it will kink the other way.  You want a happy medium which will allow the water to flow through the hose.  Good luck.  After you do this you will curse every "engineer" that USI has.

So, I went ahead and pulled the deck again and I can't figure out where the water is coming from.  The tube was not kinked from what I could feel.  I did see some condensation on a silver piece in the upper right hand corner of one of the pics but that was it.  I also stuck my finger in the tray that the hose empties into and it was dry.... I've attached some pics in case that will shed some light on what I am dealing with.

Thanks!

Kevin

post-7757-0-28825100-1432941649_thumb.jpg

post-7757-0-32663700-1432941651_thumb.jpg

post-7757-0-16663600-1432941653_thumb.jpg

If you're looking at and feeling the insulated tubing you probably already know that is the freon line. I don't see the drain hose in these pics but in the last pic, is the black object in the left rear of the drain pan the drain hose exit? Does it empty directly from the evaporator pan or is there a length of hose between them (usually the case)? If the hose is not kinked at all (look at every inch of it) then it's probably clogged. Blow compressed air, not canned air, through the hose to clear it. If the hose is clear then your evaporator pan is not level or the drain is freezing up.

I have replaced the compressor on about  4 of these and the first one I had quite a few choice words. 

Looking at the open end where you see the compressor and drain pan there is a sheet metal rectangle cover  that holds the compressor in. Remove the screws and remove the cover. After that you can pull compressor out exposing the drain hose. You will find the hose cable tied to the coiled up suction line attached to the compressor and will have to cut the tie. Once you cut that tie you may not be able to put another one on. Very difficult   and so far I haven't been able to. I suppose I have been lucky it still stays in drain pan. With compressor out you can see the hose and repair it per AZ's instructions. When pushing compressor back inside hold the coiled suction line and try to get it squeezed tight and keep it close to compressor. after that you can situate the drain hose. 

As you probably already found out that condenser fan  motor is a bear to get plugged back in. The best way is to get behind machine and remove the condenser fan motor to expose the wiring from behind. I have had that harness get in the fan motor when reinstalling so you might have to get in the back anyway. 

AZ, yeah the drain tube is fed into the drain pan where you see the zip ties and when I stuck my finger in the drain pan, there was no liquid.  I may try to see if there is something that I can insert into the drain line (to free a clog) because i won't have access to compressed air at the location.  I took the bottom shelf out of the machine so I was able to "crawl" in the machine to get the fan plugged back in.  I'll also take a level to see if maybe that is causing it.  

Thanks for all the advice!!!!!!

Kevin

Just realize that you won't be able to fish anything all the way through tube because it's going to be coiled up.  You may need to use a length of 12 ga solid core wire or something similar but it could easily get caught on the tubing where it coils.

I took the bottom shelf out of the machine so I was able to "crawl" in the machine to get the fan plugged back in.  

Here is a link to a video on "How to replace the start capacitor" but it will show you the easiest way to remove the refrigeration deck on your machine... 

You can then either blow out your blocked drain hose on-site or take it away with you & blow it out at home or somewhere else where you have access to compressed air. 

Here is a link to a video on "How to replace the start capacitor" but it will show you the easiest way to remove the refrigeration deck on your machine... 

You can then either blow out your blocked drain hose on-site or take it away with you & blow it out at home or somewhere else where you have access to compressed air. 

Very good post... That condenser fan motor like I said is a bear. 

Archived