Anybody operate older can machines that only take coins?

You MIGHT do ok, but the problem with most of those mechines is finding someone with parts if something breaks. That is local anyway. Around here old cavalier parts for example are hard to come by

I see some inexpensive machines available in operating condition, but that only take coins. I'm well aware that's a handicap--but are there situations where you could do ok?

The old dixie narcos were bullet proof and dead simple and can be fit with a bill Val.

Most sales are can pop anyway.

The old dixie narcos were bullet proof and dead simple and can be fit with a bill Val.

Most sales are can pop anyway.

What do you mean "most sales are can pop anyway"?  

I see some inexpensive machines available in operating condition, but that only take coins. I'm well aware that's a handicap--but are there situations where you could do ok?

You can get the single price machines with a validator for little enough.  Anything that was built pre-validators is a dinosaur and only good for a museum or man cave. 

What do you mean "most sales are can pop anyway"?  

Most of us tend to sell either 12 oz cans or 16 oz Monsters and reserve the bottles for Gatorade and water.  About the only members I'm aware of that focus on bottles only do so because a substantial number of their accounts require bottles due to the caps.  Not being a big soda drinker myself,  I have a hard time understanding how anybody could drink 16 to 20 oz of something before it got warm. I've personally never bought a Big Gulp in my life  :mellow:

Most of us tend to sell either 12 oz cans or 16 oz Monsters and reserve the bottles for Gatorade and water.  About the only members I'm aware of that focus on bottles only do so because a substantial number of their accounts require bottles due to the caps.  Not being a big soda drinker myself,  I have a hard time understanding how anybody could drink 16 to 20 oz of something before it got warm. I've personally never bought a Big Gulp in my life  :mellow:

Im not trying to get ugly with you on this but I think this type info on here can be hurtful for people learning. I understand that is what most vendors here sell because that is because many don't have a relationship with the bottlers because of minimums and such but you can make a blanket statement to a new vendor like ", most sales are can pop anyway". Because he may assume that is industry standard data and it simply is not true. Might be for those that only choose to sell cans but that does not mean that is what sales the most drink to drink. I just did an account all bottle machines and proposed another one that did not want cans. I just think if we are giving out info it should be accurate as possible based on industry data. 

The fact is you make more money per vend on bottles and they sell better than cans. The issues most small operators don't have an easy source for them like cans so they try not to do them. Each account is different in what they want or need. Some can be can only some bottle only some a mix of both.  

The fact is you make more money per vend on bottles and they sell better than cans. The issues most small operators don't have an easy source for them like cans so they try not to do them. Each account is different in what they want or need. Some can be can only some bottle only some a mix of both.  

But machines hold less bottles, and they have a shorter shelf life, and lower margins.

But machines hold less bottles, and they have a shorter shelf life, and lower margins.

If it is in the right account dates will not plat a part. Ill take lower margins versus more money (revenue) per vend any day of the week.

Want high margins then gum balls is where its at. :)

This doesn't even take into account if the location is a decent location you will get kicked out when someone offers them a nicer, newer machine. 

Im not trying to get ugly with you on this but I think this type info on here can be hurtful for people learning. I understand that is what most vendors here sell because that is because many don't have a relationship with the bottlers because of minimums and such but you can make a blanket statement to a new vendor like ", most sales are can pop anyway". Because he may assume that is industry standard data and it simply is not true. Might be for those that only choose to sell cans but that does not mean that is what sales the most drink to drink. I just did an account all bottle machines and proposed another one that did not want cans. I just think if we are giving out info it should be accurate as possible based on industry data. 

The OP as asking if a machine with no validator was a good idea and I think we all said no

Thanks, guys, this is "food" for thought.

Yeah, I figured-- was wondering about whether to bother even if I could get an operating machine for say, $100 but it had no acceptor. I'm pretty poor and trying to start out somehow. Also whether it might work for a snack machine rather than drinks, since there's no cooling involved.

It sounds like you're asking about a purely mechanical can machine with turn knobs and you need to know that those are all considered junk.  There are people who like to use them but we don't recommend them.  If you're "pretty poor" then vending is not for you as it takes considerable investments in good machines to make money in this business.  If you're not truly poor when you start then you could easily be after being in the business for awhile.  You'd be better off with a good job instead of putting what little money you have into vending machines.  I've seen it all and that's where my advice is coming from.

The OP as asking if a machine with no validator was a good idea and I think we all said no

Leave it alone!!! The cans/bottles debate still has its own thread?

Sorry I think anytime a thread can bloom into other pertinent information about vending is a good thing. 

You're no doubt right, AZ. . . . that's why I'm asking the questions.

I'm in a sitution where most "good jobs" are not available to me, (don't wish to explain), but I need to come up with a secondary method of income that I can eventually make into a main source of income. I have a full time job now, but it doesn't pay well, and due to "reasons" very few full time jobs I'm qualified for meet my pay needs. Believe me, my family budget costs are cut to the bone--most Americans would hardly believe the low income we survive on for the number of people in the family. I need to get up and out of this--I think you guys convinced me to stay away from coin only machines, and I'm thankful for the advice.

You're no doubt right, AZ. . . . that's why I'm asking the questions.

I'm in a sitution where most "good jobs" are not available to me, (don't wish to explain), but I need to come up with a secondary method of income that I can eventually make into a main source of income. I have a full time job now, but it doesn't pay well, and due to "reasons" very few full time jobs I'm qualified for meet my pay needs. Believe me, my family budget costs are cut to the bone--most Americans would hardly believe the low income we survive on for the number of people in the family. I need to get up and out of this--I think you guys convinced me to stay away from coin only machines, and I'm thankful for the advice.

Jim,

If you're considering this as a possible long term deal, then you should really be looking for a good multipriced machine as opposed to the much cheaper single priced ones which are somewhat of a dead-end.  I don't pretend to run the fanciest route but I've already discontinued use of any single priced machines.  I hate to see you dropping any money into a "White Elephant"  

You should understand the cost breakdown of this investment.  You should be able to find a location ready multi price machine in the $600 range, plus you;ll need about $200 to stock it and another $50 in coin mech money plus figure about $100 to get somebody to move it.  That's almost a grand out of pocket for something that will make you $100 to $200 a month.  This is no get rich quick slam dunk business.  If that's too steep for your wallet, we have a great forum here for bulk vendors which is something you could get into for a hundred bucks or less.

A loan is a very bad idea when you start.

Why is that? Its called an "investment". He would actually be investing in an "asset". If the machine is placed in the correct location then he would have a positive cash flow to make any payments plus make a profit. You do realize that even if you pay cash out of his pocket he took out a loan. You took out a loan from yourself that will need to be paid back before he makes a profit. 

Why is that? Its called an "investment". He would actually be investing in an "asset". If the machine is placed in the correct location then he would have a positive cash flow to make any payments plus make a profit. You do realize that even if you pay cash out of his pocket he took out a loan. You took out a loan from yourself that will need to be paid back before he makes a profit. 

If you get a loan from a bank they can come take back assets as collateral if you default, which will ruin his credit. Also, most major banks are not going to lend to a vending startup. Vending is considered a high risk loan in the banking business. If you loan your self the money and you end up loosing it then its a whole different story. If I would have gotten a debt loan when I first started doing vending I probably would have failed due to the lack of knowledge about the business.

If you get a loan from a bank they can come take back assets as collateral if you default, which will ruin his credit. Also, most major banks are not going to lend to a vending startup. Vending is considered a high risk loan in the banking business. If you loan your self the money and you end up loosing it then its a whole different story. If I would have gotten a debt loan when I first started doing vending I probably would have failed due to the lack of knowledge about the business.

The major machine manufacturers offer financing even for people with "ok" credit. Whole different story is the same story. You take money out of savings that you could have used to pay yourself or a machine payment because you lost the account. If you took that money out now it is gone and you don't have access to it at all if times gets tough. CASH is king and it is better to keep yours and play with someone else's  if you can.

I am not saying it is the best and only way to go but for many it makes sense if they plan on getting started or growing their existing business. I work with plenty of clients that do it this way and are successful.   

The major machine manufacturers offer financing even for people with "ok" credit. Whole different story is the same story. You take money out of savings that you could have used to pay yourself or a machine payment because you lost the account. If you took that money out now it is gone and you don't have access to it at all if times gets tough. CASH is king and it is better to keep yours and play with someone else's  if you can.

I am not saying it is the best and only way to go but for many it makes sense if they plan on getting started or growing their existing business. I work with plenty of clients that do it this way and are successful.   

I highly doubt a guy just starting out in vending is going to go buy brand new machines from a company like crane or AMS. Unless he knows some one he wont have any accounts to justify brand new equipment either.

I highly doubt a guy just starting out in vending is going to go buy brand new machines from a company like crane or AMS. Unless he knows some one he wont have any accounts to justify brand new equipment either.

Not trying to "hawk" my services but yes I can get him (or anyone) a line of credit for equipment (depending on credit) from a machine manufacture. You would not buy any equipment without knowing up front if the account will justify it. You get the account then order the equipment to go in it. 

Archived