What's causing ice on the condenser

What's causing ice on the condenser

Thermostat at 3. Located in an enclosed porch. Was empty two days ago loaded new so there's only a third full. Has been sitting for many many months without being used before I bought it. Product is cold. The old machine that this replaces didn't do it for 12 years. This is a new machine for me although it's a number of years old.

post-10353-0-98212600-1433550061_thumb.jpg

Fan is running. Drain is open. Frost/ice located in the top radiator type condenser inside behind and below product chute. In addition frost/ice located on the Copper bulb located in front of said condenser. I don't think the freon is low because when I was working on it in the garage for two weeks it would cool very quickly. I did start it after moving it around the house on a dolly and didn't wait 24 hours for the Freon to settle maybe that's the problem .

That is very likely due to low freon however, because you say the accumulator also is ice cold and frosty, you might have bad valves in the compressor. The accumulator should never be cold enough to ice up. You need to have someone check it out and if they know what they're doing they can tell you what's going on with it.

the one icing up is the top one not the bottom one. Made sure door was closed tight... Not sure it was closed all of the way when I originally loaded the machine. Goofing to check tomorrow and see if it corrects itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced thermostat with a new one. Does the wire sensor go behind the evaporator or on front of the fan behind the evaporator ? Machine isn't icing up on the evaporator as bad as it use to but the compressor seems to run all of the time. I can turn off the thermostat and the compressor will turn off but the fan behind the evaporator will continue to run. I think this is normal. The product is cold. Can the freon be low even though the product is really cold at even on the lowest thermo setting?

You really need to put a thermometer in the machine to see what the temp is at.  You should be at 38 to 42 degrees.  What model machine is this as that makes a difference in where the capillary tube goes.  And yes, the evaporator fan in the cabinet runs at all times.

On the older DN machines the cap tube should be one that's folded at the end which is then pushed into a tube that runs behind the evaporator from the right side.  Turn the machine off when you try to slide it in there as there is 110v around the thermostat on that side.  The thermostat should then be set to 3 1/2.

Will have to check for a tube. I placed the folded end of the sensor wire behind the sheet metal directly behind the evaporator. Behind the sheet metal is a channel opening from the right which leads directly in front of the fan. One has to be careful because the wire can hit the fan blade because there is no guard keeping the wire from hitting the blade. Will go check for a tube.

Archived