Vending Biz For Kids

kiwi

Just wanting to know if anyone has setup a small route of machines for their kids?

I myself hope to one day pass my business onto one of my children (so their wives can complain ;D ) but am wondering if anyone has setup something up that their kids can run themselves while still at school to teach them the values of running a business & working ect...

The reason I ask is because my eldest son was off school the other day & my parents who would normally look after him are holidaying in LA so I had no choice but to take him with me to work. He was really excited about helping me fill & fix machine so I asked him if he would like to startup his own business. He was very excited about this idea even though he dreams of playing in the NFL one day for the NY GIANTS!

I was thinking of setting him up with a couple of candy machines to start with so this may be better a question for the "Bulk Vending Forum" but I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion here first. Some people may think that its wrong or that you are taking advantage of children by doing this but I for one started working part-time at a very young age. I was able to pay for my own things & had saved $10K by the time I was 15yrs old.

I would like my children to do this too instead of just giving things to them as I think that this will help them later on in life.

I would like him to do his own locating, sales, filling &maintenance of his machines & would only loan him the money to get him started which should only be about $100-$200

Cheers 

Good luck. I have seen many vendors who wouldn't be in vending except for trying to help their youngsters become self supporting. Haven't seen any that turned out the way dad wanted it to. Work is to hard and it conflicts with their schedule. IMO

Good luck. I have seen many vendors who wouldn't be in vending except for trying to help their youngsters become self supporting. Haven't seen any that turned out the way dad wanted it to. Work is to hard and it conflicts with their schedule. IMO

I was more thinking about the lessons he could learn than the money he could make.

Nothing big... maybe a handful of candy machine that he could service 1x per month or something. Not a 100% sure if it would work as I have no experience in bulk vending but it is something that I/we will look into first.

Just wanting to know if anyone has setup a small route of machines for their kids?

I myself hope to one day pass my business onto one of my children (so their wives can complain ;D ) but am wondering if anyone has setup something up that their kids can run themselves while still at school to teach them the values of running a business & working ect...

The reason I ask is because my eldest son was off school the other day & my parents who would normally look after him are holidaying in LA so I had no choice but to take him with me to work. He was really excited about helping me fill & fix machine so I asked him if he would like to startup his own business. He was very excited about this idea even though he dreams of playing in the NFL one day for the NY GIANTS!

I was thinking of setting him up with a couple of candy machines to start with so this may be better a question for the "Bulk Vending Forum" but I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion here first. Some people may think that its wrong or that you are taking advantage of children by doing this but I for one started working part-time at a very young age. I was able to pay for my own things & had saved $10K by the time I was 15yrs old.

I would like my children to do this too instead of just giving things to them as I think that this will help them later on in life.

I would like him to do his own locating, sales, filling &maintenance of his machines & would only loan him the money to get him started which should only be about $100-$200

Cheers 

He needs to be spending ALL his extra time practicing that kicking - pull him out of school if necessary  ;D   The road to the NFL leads through USC ( more current pros than any other school) and we need a kicker that's automatic from 60 yards out in field goals so quit fooling around  ;D  ;D  ;D  Did I mention that the ability to drop a punt inside the 5 yard line would also be nice?

Gumball machines indeed  :blink:

Don't know what the answer is now days. Kids don't understand the buying power of money. They don't understand its value and think it grows on trees. Know days they have everything before they even get out of school. Social life is more important to them than anything. There are a few exceptions to the rule but they are few. If you have a responsible child it would be a good starter but if you don't be prepared to take it over yourself.  

I have already started with my kids (7, 4 and 4).  My 7 year old is very good at filling up the coin mechs, pre-kitting and rolling coin.  The younger two sometimes tag along and watch, they can't really do much to "help."  I think it's very good for them to see where money comes from ... they see me spend it at Sam's, etc and then they see it come out of the machines and go to the bank.

My daughter (7) is going to work the route with me two full days a week this summer to save money for our December missions trip to Haiti, we're both very excited about this.

My plan is to set them up with their own machines when they're teenagers, but that's not something I have to think about for a while.  

He needs to be spending ALL his extra time practicing that kicking - pull him out of school if necessary  ;D   The road to the NFL leads through USC ( more current pros than any other school) and we need a kicker that's automatic from 60 yards out in field goals so quit fooling around  ;D  ;D  ;D  Did I mention that the ability to drop a punt inside the 5 yard line would also be nice?

Gumball machines indeed  :blink:

Don't worry... I will make sure that the university he will attend will be USC! 

He might need somewhere to stay when he gets to Cali so you better hurry up & get those machines out of your garage  ;D

I thought USC = University of South Carolina. Gamecocks provide a bunch of good players too--

I hope to involve my kids in the vending route if and when I get it going. I think it's a good idea if they're so inclined.

Just be aware that if the kids aren't interested in the business after the first month, the route you've built will be YOUR route. Someone has to service it, and if the kids won't do it you'll be stuck with it. I have seen a lot of small operations get started under a plan like the one proposed, but all of them I've ever come across were in pretty poor shape (dirty machines, beat up gear, mostly/entirely empty, etc.) Back when I was buying triples on a regular basis, I ran into a guy who had a whole garage full of mixed equipment- said he had been buying/building a vending route for his kids, but they didn't want to do it, and he didn't want to do it- so he's got a garage full of machines he spent way too much money on, and no one in his household even wanted to vend in the first place. While I'm sure there are success stories out there, keep in mind that they are few and far between.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but really consider what you are investing into before you get in too deep so to speak. Start very small, as you'll find out very quickly if vending is the right thing for you and your family- and better to find out on a small investment than get buried under a ton of gear. Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

As for myself, I plan on operating the route myself and involving the kids. Depending how it goes, they may do it more or less as time goes on. I plan to use it as income for our family, and not specifically as experience, fun, or a chore. If they're not too inclined, then I'll look for other things for them to do. I have seven kids, so it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them ends up really liking it over time. We'll see. Keep in mind that if you have multiple kids in your fam, they each have a different personality. This may be great for some and not for others.

He needs to be spending ALL his extra time practicing that kicking - pull him out of school if necessary  ;D   The road to the NFL leads through USC ( more current pros than any other school) and we need a kicker that's automatic from 60 yards out in field goals so quit fooling around  ;D  ;D  ;D  

I am sure that if his mother can leg press 330lbs he shouldn't have to many problems kicking a ball 60 yards  ;D

I still need to get him a kicking holder to practice with... which one do you recommend?

http://www.sears.com/wilson-pro-kick-football-holder/p-SPM9144729717?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

http://www.sears.com/wizard-sports-pro-style-football-kicking-holder-sturdy/p-SPM12018011719?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I am sure that if his mother can leg press 330lbs he shouldn't have to many problems kicking a ball 60 yards  ;D

I still need to get him a kicking holder to practice with... which one do you recommend?

http://www.sears.com/wilson-pro-kick-football-holder/p-SPM9144729717?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

http://www.sears.com/wizard-sports-pro-style-football-kicking-holder-sturdy/p-SPM12018011719?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Get one like this http://shop.sklz.com/accessories/3-point-kicking-tee/invt/fbt0300004?CAWELAID=120142270000000338&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120142270000002653&cadevice=c&gclid=CNfDn_LDiMYCFQiVfgod2GAAgQ  You may notice that it's on sale you tightwad  ;D  ;D  ;D

Don't worry... I will make sure that the university he will attend will be USC! 

He might need somewhere to stay when he gets to Cali so you better hurry up & get those machines out of your garage  ;D

You might want to rethink that - the training table at my house is pretty skimpy compared to what they get to eat at USC  ;D  ;D  ;D

Tightwad... if I was a tightwad I would ask his Uncle Moondog to buy it & ship it over  ;D

Would you like the address?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Tightwad... if I was a tightwad I would ask his Uncle Moondog to buy it & ship it over  ;D

Would you like the address?  ;D  ;D  ;D

I would but it would probably be a violation of NCAA rules - you remember what happened with Reggie Bush. On second thought maybe your wife would like to come to USC  ;D  ;D  ;D

I would but it would probably be a violation of NCAA rules - you remember what happened with Reggie Bush. On second thought maybe your wife would like to come to USC  ;D  ;D  ;D

I would be more than happy to send my wife but even USC's training table would be stretched with her & if she stayed with you I know who would end up having to sleep on the couch  ;D  ;D  ;D

I would be more than happy to send my wife but even USC's training table would be stretched with her & if she stayed with you I know who would end up having to sleep on the couch  ;D  ;D  ;D

Spoken like a man with nothing left to lose  ;D  ;D  ;D

Archived