Have you ever passed on an opportunity? Did you regret it?

RikaKazak

One of my locations is opening a 2nd location (same business different city), and asked me to be their sole vendor (I'm sharing the current location with another vendor, he does arcade, I do amusement)

Problem is, I don't have the money right now, and I don't really have high hopes for "arcade" in the future.  Frankly I'd rather not even do arcade, ever.

I have a meeting with the owners tomorrow, what should I do?  Should I just be blunt and honest?  Should I say I don't have money for arcade but would love to do their amusement?  

The business is a nerf battle arena with an arcade on the side.

I'm lost and can't really ask anyone for advice since none of my friends or family understand vending at all.  What would you guys do? 

Im actually in the same boat as you on this. I have a big bounce house.I have a rack in there, a stand alone 1" machine, and a crane..place does well..

they approached me saying they plan to open a BIGGER place next year and wants us to do all the location including arcade redemption..my opinion is EWWWWWWWWWWWW

I personally would do the arcade side of things as well. If I was a business owner, I don't want to hear my amusement vendor say he does not have the money to expand and put more machines when asked. I would just be afraid that they will just ask the arcade vendor to do it all.

Video games still make money in the right locations, plus I would assume you could sprinkle cranes, prize merchandisers, etc.. in there as well. Just don't go running old tired drivers and crappy video games. You have to spend a little. Air hockey also makes a killing as well.

I got a similar situation also even though i didnt plan on getting back into cranes.  Got a black light putt putt location thats opening a second location in another state only about 2 hours from me in a large mall.  He wants a small game room right in front.  The mall doesnt have any type of game room already so seems like a good oppurtunity.  I dont want anyone else in there so I let him know i could do it all.  Gonna be buying some new and some used.  Probably gonna be 8-10 pieces.  My thoughts so far glow machine, plush crane, candy crane, air hockey table, ballon buster or key master, 1 or 2 interactive bulk machines and a couple arcades.  Current location close to me will be expanding and will be combining with a indoor bounce house location and gonna need a similar set-up at the end of 2016. 

So I talked it over with my wife, texted a few fellow vendiscuss members (thanks for the advice guys) and decided to go with this plan.

Share the location with another vendor I already share a location with (we get along great).  I'm going to do a cotton candy machine, keymaster, candy crane, claw, 5' spiral gumball, triple head candy, 5 way rack with 2 column sticker, 2", and 3 1", all toys...a change machine and 2 interactive gumball machines.

I'm also thinking about a multicade...thoughts on that?

They're opening in 2-3 weeks, so hopefully I'll get most of that by then (I know, super short notice) and then asses how the location is doing and take it from there.

Multicade is a good choice way cheap and people play them.

What kind of numbers is everyone actually doing with multicades? Are they getting like $50 a week or more or less??

Just wondering because I would see a multicade as a "Filler" piece more then anything.

Had a random thought and didn't know if it was super stupid, or maybe smart?  So this place is going to need to be filled up, and I don't have the money to fill it up in 3 weeks.  And I've already expressed how I feel about arcade games.

However, what if for the short term, I bought non coin operated machines (specifically pool tables) and put them in.  That way the business could advertise free pool while your kids shoot nerf guns, and my capital investment would be WAY less.  I've found a bunch of used (very nice) pool tables for $50-$150 a piece on craigslist in my area.  Picking up like 2-3 could fill a lot of room cheaply and keep me as the sole vendor.

Super stupid?  Maybe smart?  Feel free to call me dumb if that's how you feel, I'd rather know how someone really thinks then them powder coat it to not hurt my feelings ;)

Your job as an EXPERT is to educate your accounts.  be honest with them and ask questions about their traffic, and more importantly... their goals... do they want money, or are they looking to add to their entertainment???  if they say both, you need to nail down what is more important..  that is the #1 question..  find out what they want..  what need are you filling for them??  if it is money, you should never invest in a loss leader.  stick with the risk free stuff that you can easily locate somewhere else..  (bulk, cranes, merchandisers)  If they are looking for the overall "entertainment" package, you can expand the offering, but you need to level with them..  EDUCATE them about the history of video game earnings. 

You did the right thing by subbing out the video games.. ideally you should find a great company that fits well with what you offer, keep in mind that you are on the hook for their performance!!!  If you don't know anyone, you should do this...  educate the location that most video will never make the kind of money that self redemption will...  Lease the equipment for 12 months, and tell them that every dollar the machine makes will go to the lease payment.  after that you can split the money at x%... 

The only time video works is if it is a core component of the business model..  I have found that ancillary vending only works with cranes, bulk, and merchandisers..  most of the time a location will do their own vending if it is going to be a core component of the business model. 

*** I was not trying to be a jerk earlier, I just think its important for people to attempt to work through solutions first, state the solution, and then ask for affirmation/correction from the veterans *** 

Had a random thought and didn't know if it was super stupid, or maybe smart? So this place is going to need to be filled up, and I don't have the money to fill it up in 3 weeks. And I've already expressed how I feel about arcade games.

However, what if for the short term, I bought non coin operated machines (specifically pool tables) and put them in. That way the business could advertise free pool while your kids shoot nerf guns, and my capital investment would be WAY less. I've found a bunch of used (very nice) pool tables for $50-$150 a piece on craigslist in my area. Picking up like 2-3 could fill a lot of room cheaply and keep me as the sole vendor.

Super stupid? Maybe smart? Feel free to call me dumb if that's how you feel, I'd rather know how someone really thinks then them powder coat it to not hurt my feelings ;)

Only issue is that if you ever went to paid tables it's very hard to go that route after free play.

do the math on your investment, and really study the opportunity cost of your money/time... if you have limited funds, you should not even be having this conversation..  you need to focus on equipment that gives you the best ROI...  merchandisers ( if your comfortable with them) 

Remember...

Business is not baseball...  you will never get called for a strike on opportunities that you pass up!!

There's a ballon buster on e bay for 3600. They also have some other stuff that looks good.

Also Schaffer dist has good used at fair prices. Not trying to hi jack your thread just giving you some sources.

There's a ballon buster on e bay for 3600. They also have some other stuff that looks good.

Also Schaffer dist has good used at fair prices. Not trying to hi jack your thread just giving you some sources.

Really ... I have one listed here in the classifieds for $3000.

Your price though is $3500.

Haha! Great post fred. People should check classifieds on here b4 ebay and auctions... I would feel more comfortable buying used from some of the guys on here that have a great reputation than someone on ebay or an auction. You are helping a friend, and you know what you are getting. Several straight shooters that I know would include... Vendamania, ronsidney, musser, and billnuts, and I would trust anyone that they would vouch for...

Would you be willing to put it on a palate so it could be shipped to Idaho?

Ebay's is only $2,695 ;)

That's with out a bill acceptor. 

Mine has bill acceptor accepting 1,5,10,20's…Yes as my add says will palletize... So basically I am selling for $2900 plus I pay someone $100 to professionally palletize $3000 total.

Really ... I have one listed here in the classifieds for $3000.

Your price though is $3500.

It's 2600 either me or my phone messed up. And that one is much closer to the member. That's why I suggested it. Cheaper and closer. And we have bought from them and they are good seller.

Haha! Great post fred. People should check classifieds on here b4 ebay and auctions... I would feel more comfortable buying used from some of the guys on here that have a great reputation than someone on ebay or an auction. You are helping a friend, and you know what you are getting. Several straight shooters that I know would include... Vendamania, ronsidney, musser, and billnuts, and I would trust anyone that they would vouch for...

Not really haha the eBay one is 2600. 3600 was a typo and the eBay one is closer to the member

It's 2600 either me or my phone messed up. And that one is much closer to the member. That's why I suggested it. Cheaper and closer. And we have bought from them and they are good seller.

Not really haha the eBay one is 2600. 3600 was a typo and the eBay one is closer to the member

Ha Ha … Another couple typos.

First ebay one is not cheaper … Doesn't come with a validator , mine is only $200 more with a validator.

Second the ebay one is $2695 not $2600.

Cancelled the listing anyways so go ahead ...

2600 or 3000 both good prices. All I was trying to do was help him out by showing him a good source that we have used in the past. Then you offered a rude comment. There are several operators on the Fourm that have gotten great machines at very good prices using sources that I have told them about. Sources we also use our self.

Why do you keep quoting the wrong prices?

Ebay price is $2695 if you add on at least $300 for a validator that is $2995.

My price I had listed was $2900 for pick up.

Get it right if you are going to promote an ebay price that is actually higher and possibly steer a sale away from a vendiscuss member.

Archived