Frank's Fowl

BouncyBalls

I think it's pretty obvious that if they were successful you would have seen them everywhere now. Much like the spiral rage and Tommy gotchas. I really like the concept of the chickens. Their size, music, interaction ect. I can see where they would be simple to place. Maybe that 1600 price tag is worth it to some.

I have only had a few minor issues with jamming and the locks. The locks are some of the worst chinese locks I have seen. The machine can not reliably vend cardinals 2" cap. Sales are a steady $23 dollars a week next to a rack that usually does $90 in the same week. This was a fly by night machine which probably won't be supported in another couple years. There are much better purchases that one can make.

Sorry to hear they didn't work out like they were supposed to. Shortly before the BVF got wrecked, Frank told me about his grander vision for the chicken and what it was moving towards. Ultimately the Chicken was, as I understood anyway, sort of ParSal's foot in the door towards electronic bulk vending. Say what we will, there is a dark day coming when the vend prices we have today will no longer be sustainable, and mechanical machines that can't handle bills (or cards as the case may be) will put us in a tight spot to say the least. It may not be for a decade, but the day is coming, and we're nowhere near a solution for the US market. On those grounds, I have to applaud Frank and ParSal for their foresight, their head-on approach, and for what they tried very hard to achieve.

In practice though, it seems the AAC was too expensive for the majority of operators, and got itself mired in too much trouble and controversy before it could really pick up any momentum. Or, that's how I perceived it- but  you all know, you were there. The possible explanations for the "failure" of the AAC, if that is indeed what it has become, could fill dozens of threads. One thing sticks with me after it all though- the notion that a single piece of vending equipment could be so divisive as to cripple and nearly destroy one vending community, and critically damage another is an incredible, and terrifying feat- the AAC is truly a legend, for better or worse.

Still, if anyone has metrics on how the machines have done so far, I'd love to see them.

Sorry to hear they didn't work out like they were supposed to. Shortly before the BVF got wrecked, Frank told me about his grander vision for the chicken and what it was moving towards. Ultimately the Chicken was, as I understood anyway, sort of ParSal's foot in the door towards electronic bulk vending. Say what we will, there is a dark day coming when the vend prices we have today will no longer be sustainable, and mechanical machines that can't handle bills (or cards as the case may be) will put us in a tight spot to say the least. It may not be for a decade, but the day is coming, and we're nowhere near a solution for the US market. On those grounds, I have to applaud Frank and ParSal for their foresight, their head-on approach, and for what they tried very hard to achieve.

In practice though, it seems the AAC was too expensive for the majority of operators, and got itself mired in too much trouble and controversy before it could really pick up any momentum. Or, that's how I perceived it- but you all know, you were there. The possible explanations for the "failure" of the AAC, if that is indeed what it has become, could fill dozens of threads. One thing sticks with me after it all though- the notion that a single piece of vending equipment could be so divisive as to cripple and nearly destroy one vending community, and critically damage another is an incredible, and terrifying feat- the AAC is truly a legend, for better or worse.

Still, if anyone has metrics on how the machines have done so far, I'd love to see them.

Are you referencing another thread? How are you coming to your brilliant conclusion that they did not work out? How are you at the conclusion that they are too expensive? The unit opened the door to a new category of machine with two company's following in their foot steps. C2C monkey and S&B Dino. More bulk suppliers now offer eggs for sale. All three machines are being bought by operators large and small. While it's true a small operator may hesitate buying a premium unit some still do. But you will see more large operators plop down 50k for premium units and trust me they are buying them. Large operators do not post stats on VD. Keep in mind VD is a micro sampling of the vending world. While its true that some past machines sold faster than they could make them it was a differnt time. It was nothing to pull 300 to 600 from a spiral or empty out a 6 way flat. A good indicator of machine performance can you Find them used? They are not at auctions. Not on eBay used none of the three are

To be honest only a few operators on VD have the experience to analyze performance of a premium unit.

Back to what really matters how many skittles should I vend for a quarter?

I don't have any so I can't comment on how well they do but, I will say that I do see a lot of them around. Mostly in very high traffic areas such as travel plazas along the turnpikes of Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey.

I don't think the chickens are the kind of machine the typical TVF member would, or even should, consider.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't have any so I can't comment on how well they do but, I will say that I do see a lot of them around. Mostly in very high traffic areas such as travel plazas along the turnpikes of Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey.

I don't think the chickens are the kind of machine the typical TVF member would, or even should, consider.

I agree. All three machines in this category are doing well. They are approved units in many theater and bowling alley chains as well as corp accounts like Buffalo Wild Wings. Most operators here are in the beginning stages of their business and are not at the level it takes to invest in newer units yet. How many times have we seen a post of is this 20 year old non supported machine a good deal?

All of the 3 are dependable and repairs are simple. What we have seen. Mech jams due to kids shoving paper or other foreign objects in them. Replace a few led strip lights with brighter ones for skate ring locations. Most jams we have seen were with SSM eggs they are too small and jam up.

I can buy one new crane or 2 used ones for the price of a Chicken. That is the #1 problem with the Chicken. IMO

e890a45606e2a539e08080a9397eb016.jpg

Are you referencing another thread? How are you coming to your brilliant conclusion that they did not work out? How are you at the conclusion that they are too expensive? The unit opened the door to a new category of machine with two company's following in their foot steps. C2C monkey and S&B Dino. More bulk suppliers now offer eggs for sale. All three machines are being bought by operators large and small. While it's true a small operator may hesitate buying a premium unit some still do. But you will see more large operators plop down 50k for premium units and trust me they are buying them. Large operators do not post stats on VD. Keep in mind VD is a micro sampling of the vending world. While its true that some past machines sold faster than they could make them it was a differnt time. It was nothing to pull 300 to 600 from a spiral or empty out a 6 way flat. A good indicator of machine performance can you Find them used? They are not at auctions. Not on eBay used none of the three are

To be honest only a few operators on VD have the experience to analyze performance of a premium unit.

Back to what really matters how many skittles should I vend for a quarter?

I should probably quit while I'm ahead, as I'm sure everyone's sick to death of hearing arguments about the AAC, but if you insist...

I'm well aware that there are two classes of operators in this business, and that the "elite" class you speak of looks down on the rest of us who can't afford to stick $1600 into one 2" cap machine. You are very correct that the majority of operators aren't going to have the "experience" necessary to rate a machine like the AAC, just as most people lack the "experience" to rate fine wines or exotic sports cars. This industry is composed of a vast number of small businesses, with a smattering of larger operators towards the top of the income spectrum, so it is natural that there would be a disparity between the two groups. I'm very happy for you and your associates who have made it to the level that you can afford to buy these expensive machines without second thought. However, you and those like you are the exception, not the rule.

My biggest concern with the AAC from the very beginning was the way it was marketed as this "miracle" machine that made fortunes overnight. For those that succeeded, terrific, but for those that didn't it became another biz-op horror story to add to the ever-expanding pile. That individuals would 'prey' on novice vendors with something like that is, in my mind at least, unconscionable.

My definition of the success of a machine is it's impact on this industry at large. The AAC brings a lot of innovation, but at a very steep price tag that makes it inaccessible to all but the most affluent operators. I'd wager you won't find any AAC's used anytime soon, as those operating them have a sizable investment to pay off before they part with them, and in all likelihood won't be able to find buyers for the machines at the prices they need to fetch. I'd go one step further to say that with all the negativity that (still!) hangs over the AAC like an albatross, that most operators in the know would steer well away from them anyway. I'm sure the machine itself is a good machine- however the machine's legacy is a flash-in-the-pan chicken vendor that we are still fighting about three years later. Any chance of the chicken, or it's knockoffs becoming the leaders into a new era of vending as ParSal had envisioned was dashed to pieces years ago. For the handful of operators that have made them work, I applaud you, but a handful of successful units whose operators conveniently won't even talk numbers because they're 'too good' for the rest of us is not a 'success' in my mind. Not at all.

Of course, that's all just my opinion. But, I'm just a scruffy north-woods vendor who spends most of my time working on snack machines now, so I'm probably not "qualified" to talk about bulk at all anymore anyway.  :rolleyes: 

I should probably quit while I'm ahead, as I'm sure everyone's sick to death of hearing arguments about the AAC, but if you insist...

I'm well aware that there are two classes of operators in this business, and that the "elite" class you speak of looks down on the rest of us who can't afford to stick $1600 into one 2" cap machine. You are very correct that the majority of operators aren't going to have the "experience" necessary to rate a machine like the AAC, just as most people lack the "experience" to rate fine wines or exotic sports cars. This industry is composed of a vast number of small businesses, with a smattering of larger operators towards the top of the income spectrum, so it is natural that there would be a disparity between the two groups. I'm very happy for you and your associates who have made it to the level that you can afford to buy these expensive machines without second thought. However, you and those like you are the exception, not the rule.

My biggest concern with the AAC from the very beginning was the way it was marketed as this "miracle" machine that made fortunes overnight. For those that succeeded, terrific, but for those that didn't it became another biz-op horror story to add to the ever-expanding pile. That individuals would 'prey' on novice vendors with something like that is, in my mind at least, unconscionable.

My definition of the success of a machine is it's impact on this industry at large. The AAC brings a lot of innovation, but at a very steep price tag that makes it inaccessible to all but the most affluent operators. I'd wager you won't find any AAC's used anytime soon, as those operating them have a sizable investment to pay off before they part with them, and in all likelihood won't be able to find buyers for the machines at the prices they need to fetch. I'd go one step further to say that with all the negativity that (still!) hangs over the AAC like an albatross, that most operators in the know would steer well away from them anyway. I'm sure the machine itself is a good machine- however the machine's legacy is a flash-in-the-pan chicken vendor that we are still fighting about three years later. Any chance of the chicken, or it's knockoffs becoming the leaders into a new era of vending as ParSal had envisioned was dashed to pieces years ago. For the handful of operators that have made them work, I applaud you, but a handful of successful units whose operators conveniently won't even talk numbers because they're 'too good' for the rest of us is not a 'success' in my mind. Not at all.

Of course, that's all just my opinion. But, I'm just a scruffy north-woods vendor who spends most of my time working on snack machines now, so I'm probably not "qualified" to talk about bulk at all anymore anyway. :rolleyes:

93eab9a8203387b6d7cdb49cd42b12e8.jpg

I'd like to know more about these "large elite" bulk operators that's placing Chickens and other specialty vendors. You don't get much larger than SV and NEN and I never see one of those popping up in any locations. Only one I have seen on location is at a local FEC.

I'd like to know more about these "large elite" bulk operators that's placing Chickens and other specialty vendors. You don't get much larger than SV and NEN and I never see one of those popping up in any locations. Only one I have seen on location is at a local FEC.

Kelly, I think the trend today is a different view for "large operators".  These large operations like NEN as you speak of as well as companies such as Tricorp are switching focus from street and chain routes to FEC type of locations.  It is difficult for larger type of operations to go to a location and service just a few machines.  These companies employ swingmen, routemen, supervisors, regional supervisors then office management.  Also retail is changing.  Supermarkets are not what they once where nor is the local discount store.  Food and household items are being bought online and shipped directly.  Operators need to find different venues where children are at.  These "FEC" type of locations could be just considered as a local pizzeria with a large type of game room.  That's where manufacturer's and distributors today are putting there focus.  We as an industry are no longer a bulk operator or a game operator, we are both.  The chicken paved way for the monkey which paved way for the Dino which paved way for Benchmarks Alien and Soccer vendors.  These companies were "game" manufacturers which converted into "bulk" manufacturers.  From what I hear, one of the biggest advantages from the introduction of the chicken is the side box or prize locker.  Operators started to place these units next to the chicken vendor, today these side boxes can be found next to bulk racks, candy cranes, plush cranes or many other types.  We at first might not realize it, but these new concept machines foster an entirely new avenue of growth for existing operators.  I am an operator, that is my core business.  I built the chicken machine for my routes then I was asked by distribution to sell it.  It works well for my routes, I can't say it is for every route because it is not.  It is for specific locations.  It was "fun" years ago when operators such as yourself and others wanted to use this chat room to have fun and fight over the chicken.  Today it is different, I am not pushing this machine, I am focusing on my route.  But what has happened is that it opened new avenues for manufacturers and operators and today some of them are doing well.  A bulk operator might have tried a crane or a sidebox because he at one time was only mechanical and then with the chicken he or she moved into electric.  We all want the past to come back with a single machine costing $30 or $40 dollars.  No one fights harder then me for that in my locations but its a different world today.  I had taken advantage of seeing these problems with high priced goods and made it work for me.  What we are not looking at as an operator is that we complain we cannot get 75 cents to $1 per vend for a dollar capsule.  This may or may not be true depending upon the location.  For those locations you cannot, here is what I did.  I pulled out at 9 rack and replaced it with a 10 rack.  I placed all small machines on top to vend 1 inch capsules at 50 cents and on the bottom gum and candy.  Right next to this rack I placed a chicken and vended a dollar product.  Because of the dollar bill acceptor, I was able to get a $1 for a 2 inch capsule.  I am more profitable with selling one inch toys at 50 cents in a one inch capsule and selling more variety of gum and candy.  It is how you want to improve your route or stay the same.  It is your choice.  As for Nick, Cardinals capsule is 2.3 inch, not your typical 2 inch capsule.  The chicken cannot vend a 2.3 inch capsule, just old fashioned acorn capsules at 2 inch in size.  There is no need to fight, everyone has a different opinion on how to run a route.  The world is very small today, we can learn from different operators.  But to say these units are not out there, you are misleading new comers to the business.  If you go onto any distributors webpage around the world, you will find animated vendor type units on there.  They are selling in Europe, Asia, South America and North America.  Back to bulk vending, operators should look into vending more one inch capsules for 50 cents.  Become profitable!

Here is an international chicken machine being manufactured presently, it is made in France by Avranches and it is called Kitty Chicken

http://www.avranchesautomatic.com/fr/catalogue/kitty-chicken,2523.html

I run lots of racks and ditched 2 inch as well. I run More one inch and other more more profitable machines than 2inch. Frank, i agree with you on that.

Kelly, I think the trend today is a different view for "large operators". These large operations like NEN as you speak of as well as companies such as Tricorp are switching focus from street and chain routes to FEC type of locations. It is difficult for larger type of operations to go to a location and service just a few machines. These companies employ swingmen, routemen, supervisors, regional supervisors then office management. Also retail is changing. Supermarkets are not what they once where nor is the local discount store. Food and household items are being bought online and shipped directly. Operators need to find different venues where children are at. These "FEC" type of locations could be just considered as a local pizzeria with a large type of game room. That's where manufacturer's and distributors today are putting there focus. We as an industry are no longer a bulk operator or a game operator, we are both. The chicken paved way for the monkey which paved way for the Dino which paved way for Benchmarks Alien and Soccer vendors. These companies were "game" manufacturers which converted into "bulk" manufacturers. From what I hear, one of the biggest advantages from the introduction of the chicken is the side box or prize locker. Operators started to place these units next to the chicken vendor, today these side boxes can be found next to bulk racks, candy cranes, plush cranes or many other types. We at first might not realize it, but these new concept machines foster an entirely new avenue of growth for existing operators. I am an operator, that is my core business. I built the chicken machine for my routes then I was asked by distribution to sell it. It works well for my routes, I can't say it is for every route because it is not. It is for specific locations. It was "fun" years ago when operators such as yourself and others wanted to use this chat room to have fun and fight over the chicken. Today it is different, I am not pushing this machine, I am focusing on my route. But what has happened is that it opened new avenues for manufacturers and operators and today some of them are doing well. A bulk operator might have tried a crane or a sidebox because he at one time was only mechanical and then with the chicken he or she moved into electric. We all want the past to come back with a single machine costing $30 or $40 dollars. No one fights harder then me for that in my locations but its a different world today. I had taken advantage of seeing these problems with high priced goods and made it work for me. What we are not looking at as an operator is that we complain we cannot get 75 cents to $1 per vend for a dollar capsule. This may or may not be true depending upon the location. For those locations you cannot, here is what I did. I pulled out at 9 rack and replaced it with a 10 rack. I placed all small machines on top to vend 1 inch capsules at 50 cents and on the bottom gum and candy. Right next to this rack I placed a chicken and vended a dollar product. Because of the dollar bill acceptor, I was able to get a $1 for a 2 inch capsule. I am more profitable with selling one inch toys at 50 cents in a one inch capsule and selling more variety of gum and candy. It is how you want to improve your route or stay the same. It is your choice. As for Nick, Cardinals capsule is 2.3 inch, not your typical 2 inch capsule. The chicken cannot vend a 2.3 inch capsule, just old fashioned acorn capsules at 2 inch in size. There is no need to fight, everyone has a different opinion on how to run a route. The world is very small today, we can learn from different operators. But to say these units are not out there, you are misleading new comers to the business. If you go onto any distributors webpage around the world, you will find animated vendor type units on there. They are selling in Europe, Asia, South America and North America. Back to bulk vending, operators should look into vending more one inch capsules for 50 cents. Become profitable!

Here is an international chicken machine being manufactured presently, it is made in France by Avranches and it is called Kitty Chicken

http://www.avranchesautomatic.com/fr/catalogue/kitty-chicken,2523.html

I run lots of racks and ditched 2 inch as well. I run More one inch and other more more profitable machines than 2inch. Frank, i agree with you on that.

Same here we were once a very top heavy two inch company. We even had top and bottoms two inch. One inch is much better.

Of course, that's all just my opinion. But, I'm just a scruffy north-woods vendor who spends most of my time working on snack machines now, so I'm probably not "qualified" to talk about bulk at all anymore anyway. :rolleyes:

If I came off as looking down on an operator for their ability to purchase equipment then I owe the entire forum an apology. My goal has alway been to help operators find their way. Over the years I have had the chance to help guys start and grow their business. I was just trying to illustrate the differences in how company's operate.

If machines do not perform or hold up you will see them at auction. I have seen it first hand.

I can buy one new crane or 2 used ones for the price of a Chicken. That is the #1 problem with the Chicken. IMO

I can buy a new candy house for just under two grand add 300 for stacker and 325 freight. But when I needed a new candy crane I choose S&B. Because they have 2 mechs when using bill head. Led multicolor chase lighting. All metal. About 30 tracks on the sound board. Very crisp clear sound. Larger candy claw so we can use toy mixes. Much deeper product bay. Cost was bout the same. But it will perform better and look very sharp on location. For the same price I could have bought 3 used candy cranes. There is much more to a purchase for a location than what the most I can buy for xxxx dollars. Then there's location protection no matter how good we think we are there is always some one that wants your location. The better your stuff is the more they have to spend to impress the location.

Something else to look at is what happens when you submit a proposal to some one like pelican for a new 20 screen complex in your area. While some one is sending 3 used cranes, bulk rack, shooting hoops. The next guy sends up color key master, black out, prize cube, impulse fun center and chicken or monkey with side box. Who wins the account.

Hav, been a very long time... I see your point in a way about equipment but service and quality of merchandise is most important. Operators need to understand that quality service and exceptional value in merchandise is key. Creating an industry standard for all would be a great start with everyone focusing on these two important aspects of the business. The machines and profit will come after.

Same here we were once a very top heavy two inch company. We even had top and bottoms two inch. One inch is much better.

When you say "we" you mean your small one man operation?

I can buy a new candy house for just under two grand add 300 for stacker and 325 freight. But when I needed a new candy crane I choose S&B. Because they have 2 mechs when using bill head. Led multicolor chase lighting. All metal. About 30 tracks on the sound board. Very crisp clear sound. Larger candy claw so we can use toy mixes. Much deeper product bay. Cost was bout the same. But it will perform better and look very sharp on location. For the same price I could have bought 3 used candy cranes. There is much more to a purchase for a location than what the most I can buy for xxxx dollars. Then there's location protection no matter how good we think we are there is always some one that wants your location. The better your stuff is the more they have to spend to impress the location.

Something else to look at is what happens when you submit a proposal to some one like pelican for a new 20 screen complex in your area. While some one is sending 3 used cranes, bulk rack, shooting hoops. The next guy sends up color key master, black out, prize cube, impulse fun center and chicken or monkey with side box. Who wins the account.

Be real dude. The lies get harder and harder to cover up.

Hav, been a very long time... I see your point in a way about equipment but service and quality of merchandise is most important. Operators need to understand that quality service and exceptional value in merchandise is key. Creating an industry standard for all would be a great start with everyone focusing on these two important aspects of the business. The machines and profit will come after.

I agree in both quality and service are top.

Archived