Dixie Narco Not Accepting Coins

mgirtman78

I ran into a problem a few weeks after I got my soda machine running.  Now it will not accept any coins.  There is product in it, and there is change in the coin changer.  The machine is a Dixie Narco 276M, with a Coinco acceptor.  Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the cause of this problem?

You probably have a motor that is not in the home position caused by either a jammed column, bad motor switch or bad motor brake.  The home position is when the short switch arm of the motor cluster switch is in a notch in the cam and the long arm is riding on the high side of the cam.  If you remove the motor cover and find one motor with switches not in this position then that is the problem motor.  If the switches click clearly when depressing the switch arms and there is no sluggishness of the switch action then you probably have a gummed up motor brake or magnetized motor.

If you need a cluster switch or a motor you can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.

• 2 weeks later...

AZVendor,

Thank you for your help!  That was the problem.  When I removed the motor cover, I found one of the motors not in the home position.  I rotated it, and now everything works again.  If this continues to happen, I will definitively be in contact with you!

If a motor continues to give you trouble, I suggest that you simply leave it empty. You can fix it.. But if the location is that good, you should get a better machine. If the location isn't that good, you'll probably be better off not putting money into fixing individual selections.

• 7 months later...

My machine is once again not receiving coins.  I have checked every motor.  Each selection is in the home position.  I have depressed the short arm of each motor, which fed the selections.  Thus, there isn't a jam, and each motor appears to be working properly.  I am still learning, but I am at a loss for ideas.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I guess that I should mention that this Dixie Narco 276M is the machine that I was referring to.  I changed my username to match my business name.  Sorry for any confusion.

What exactly do you mean by "not receiving coins"?

When you insert coins what happens?

Do they fall through to the coin return chute? -- Faulty coin mech

Do they still fall through to the coin return if you try with the door open?  -- Coin return lever on mech may be slightly depressed with door closed

Are they stacked in the coin changer, but no product can be selected?  --  possibly credit relay if this is a single price machine, possibly motor switches or harness 

Are they sent to the coin box? -- if single price AND coin mech is full, as above.

I don't own one and have no experience with this machine, the parts manual can be found at DS Vending the wiring diagram is pretty poor quality, but it may help.

Try unplugging the machine and then plugging it back in.  Then enter coins while listening closely to the vend relay.  If the machine is accepting coins at this point the vend relay should click when it sets a credit after you reach the vend price.  If the coin mech takes coins up to the vend price and then rejects further coins then you have an open in the vend circuit if no selection can be made.  This will at least confirm that your coin mech and vend relay are working.  At this point you should begin by looking for a loose connection in your selection panel.  If one wire comes off of a selection switch it will open the vend circuit and nothing will vend.  Be careful as all the wires carry 110v.  Other than that you should inspect all the wiring from the selection panel to the relay to the motors for a loose connection.

Another good place to look is on the wire side of the coin mech plug and the vend relay plug.  If any of those connectors slip out of their sockets then you'll have a problem.  Turn the machine off when looking here as a loose wire can easily arc when moved in close quarters.

See if your changer is getting power by using the manual dispense switches. If you have power, either the changer or vend relay is bad. If no power, go to the connections at the bottom between the door and the cabinet.

Thank you all for your help!!!

I unplugged the machine and let it sit before plugging it back in.  Then I checked all of the connections.  It turns out that there as loose connection on the coin changer.  I fixed that and it corrected the problem.  Thanx again!

Archived