Snackshop 500 operation

Acidpiper454

You could have one or more issues with this machine.  It sounds like you got this without knowing if it even works.  Not the best way to get a machine and to top it off, it's over 35 years old.  Here is the manual for it: http://www.gadvending.com/books/Automatic%20Products%20and%20RMI/API%20500%20Series%20Manual.pdf and the troubleshooting is on page 9.

Your most likely problem(s) are a bad coin mech or, more likely, a motor not at home or a bad motor switch.  Testing the motors is done in this sequence:

Working your way from the bottom right motor, turn the spiral clockwise just a bit to see if the motor will continue running a complete cycle.  If this first motor does then your problem is probably a bad coin mech.  If it doesn't run then move up one shelf and test the far right motor there.  Continue this until you get to a shelf where the far right motor runs.  When that happens you move to testing motors on the shelf below that motor.  On that shelf, work right to left testing motors until you get to one that runs.  At this time you then need to replace the motor switch on the first motor that ran on this shelf and the motor following it.  That is probably where you will find your problem

If you test the far right motor of the top shelf and it won't run then be sure to move left on that shelf one motor at a time testing until you get to A1.  If none of them work at all then you might have some of the issues in the troubleshooting guide of the manual.

If you need parts for this you can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.

I leave selections empty when the motors go bad on those.

Also, if you test a selection and it doesn't spin, make sure to set it back in home position.

In fact, you may have to manually turn every selection just to make sure they are all in home position. They will click when they are home.

I tested the motors in sequence and only the top left 2 motors worked. After I flipped the switch and turned motor A again (just cause I don't know what to do) it set them all off in order. So it looks like they all work now. Where can I get some of the little tabs that say prices? Thanks guys! I'll have an old coke machine question next :-D

Please understand your machine was made in about 1975. The way this machine works the power goes into the common terminal of the switch on motor A, only if the motor is in the home position will the power come out the normally closed terminal and on into the common terminal of the switch on motor B.  And on to C, D, E and so on thru all 40 motors.

The problem you have is the silver terminals and points tarnish over time.

Since you start with 28 volts each switch has 2 silver terminals and a set contact points. The power must go thru if you lose .1 volts at each of the 40 switch point and 80 switch terminal you get 120X .1 = 12 volts so motor G5 is only getting 16 volts. At 16 volts often it cannot get started and if it should it may not have the strength to finish its cycle.

If you really want to keep this old machine the motor switches are not that hard to replace and cheap when you buy in quantity.

Walta

So I'm gonna come back to the snack machine, but I need to get this coke machine going now. The coin mech is doing the same thing the snack machine was... It just sends everything to the return. It's a S75-9800B CoinCo. I tested the motors and 5 operate and drop cans. Will 1 unresponsive motor make the machine not operate?

Million dollar question... What do I do to make it accept the coins?

Thanks!!

First of all, you need to upgrade the soda machine to a current coin mech to rule that problem out.  Next, you need to post the model of the soda machine so we know what you have.  Generally on a single price machine, if one selection won't work then the coin mech can be disabled.  Regardless of that, your coin mech is ancient and not repairable and you should get a current one for reliability.  Email me if you need a replacement, but I'll need the model number of the machine for the other issue.

• 4 years later...

Just junk it.  There is no sense in trying to keep it running.  Yours probably uses a 4 price coin mech.  Good luck finding one that actually works now, 40 years after the machine was built.

It depends on how the machine is wired. It could be 4, 10, or multiprice. Pics of your changer plug and price board will help. Beware that this machine is barely worth scrap pricing which is $70/ton right now. It could also have an aftermarket conversion kit in it which adds to the treasure hunt.