credit card readers

TKK

I know this has been beaten to a pulp but I'm taking the plunge to add readers to all my machines. Who do u guys recommend right now? Should I add an option to add 10c per vend? How soon can they be setup?

USAT G9 CC units. 

2 Tier Pricing is something you need to feel out, you know your customers/accounts best, what do you think they are open too?

We have customers that do 3 things in their business

Raise prices a nickel

Two Tier pricing

and Add CC Readers and keep it the same

Canteen does 2 Tier on quite a few machines, they are trying to convert all machines to 2 tier

It really comes down to ROI, will the CC readers bring in enough at locations to pay for itself and the monthly fees or is it a convenience factor for your accounts.

Closed environments like offices/warehouses may see a bump for convenience and it will allow you to add some premium items.

open environments will yield higher sales

I have used InOne (now Nayax), Crane, and USAT.  If you do not have your business on a computerized VMS yet, Nayax has the best backend software and you can manage inventory and even prekitting for those machines without any extra services.  Nayax sells their hardware and bills for service each month, with a dependable weekly deposit for sales.  USAT has good deals on rental or lease of the units and deducts all service and rental costs from sales before paying to your account.  Crane works but I'm not a big fan and they are the most expensive.  ParLevel is supposed to be coming out with their own cashless by the end of this year, if it works as well as their VMS software it will be very good, and the cost is supposed to be lower than all the others, we will see....

As for 2 tier, I know it is popular, but I opted not to use it.   IMHO, why add a service to try and increase sales and then a pricing plan that discourages people from using it?  A lot of the public feels ripped off when charged extra for credit card use, they just don't understand the costs behind it.  Keep you margins up overall and absorb the extra costs.  That's extra income you don't have to worry about being stolen; or having to count and haul to the bank.  In a few years the credit side of vending will be so big that it will make a difference on your cash handling costs and you will be ahead of the game...

• 2 weeks later...

@Refreshments made easy - 2 tier refers to having two prices for each item, a slightly higher price (usually .10 cents) for credit card purchases; and a "cash discount" price that is the price labeled on the selection.  The purpose is to have the credit card users pay for the extra costs associated with the card readers.  There is usually a small label on the front of the machine that attempts to explain this to the customer....

As for 2 tier, I know it is popular, but I opted not to use it.   IMHO, why add a service to try and increase sales and then a pricing plan that discourages people from using it?  A lot of the public feels ripped off when charged extra for credit card use, they just don't understand the costs behind it.  Keep you margins up overall and absorb the extra costs.  That's extra income you don't have to worry about being stolen; or having to count and haul to the bank.  In a few years the credit side of vending will be so big that it will make a difference on your cash handling costs and you will be ahead of the game...

I agree with this logic. Card readers not only add convenience for your customers, but also encourage some impulse purchasing. When someone grabs a couple dollar bills or some quarters out of their pocket, they see the money being spent. With a card reader, many people are more likely to swipe the card, and the purchase doesn't weigh on there minds quite the same.

With that said, the minute they recognize the fact that there is an upcharge, even as minor as .10, It forces them to consider the cost and would be much more likely to turn away.

As said above, areas open to the public would see the biggest ROI. In private areas where employees are the bulk of your customers, many of them will plan ahead and bring the necessary coins/bills to use the machine that day if they intend too. You'll have some who are quite pleased you've added the convenience, but will most typically not want to pay for it. It generally is received about as well as an actual .10 price increase is.

hey guys where do I order the g9s? I see them on their website but how do you get it started? do you hve to call and order? so they just plug into all mdb drink and snack machines, do we have to enable credit card option on the ryals and cut the plastic? is there ever any sales? I want to order maybe 10 to start

hey guys where do I order the g9s? I see them on their website but how do you get it started? do you hve to call and order? so they just plug into all mdb drink and snack machines, do we have to enable credit card option on the ryals and cut the plastic? is there ever any sales? I want to order maybe 10 to start

You just need to contact USAT and speak to them about the options you might have.  There might be a deal for 10 or more units which might be a reduced purchase or lease price or reduced rates.  The connect to any MDB machine by plugging the card reader harness into the machine first, then the validator plugs into the card harness then the coin mech remains plugged into the validator harness.  The card reader always has to be the first connection to the machine.  If you don't have a second cutout on your door for a bill validator or card reader then you have to drill 5 holes in the top of your door above the validator to mount the card reader.  The drawback is that you then have 5 holes in the door if you remove the validator.  Most late model soda machines have two cutouts.  If you need to add one to any Vendo machines then there is a special bracket for those secondary cutouts depending on the model of machine.  I have those brackets if you need any.

Will the new credit card "chips" be a problem on the readers?  Lots of my vendors are putting the readers on everything.  It seems to be paying off for them.  They have been landing some big difficult accounts.  

You just need to contact USAT and speak to them about the options you might have.  There might be a deal for 10 or more units which might be a reduced purchase or lease price or reduced rates.  The connect to any MDB machine by plugging the card reader harness into the machine first, then the validator plugs into the card harness then the coin mech remains plugged into the validator harness.  The card reader always has to be the first connection to the machine.  If you don't have a second cutout on your door for a bill validator or card reader then you have to drill 5 holes in the top of your door above the validator to mount the card reader.  The drawback is that you then have 5 holes in the door if you remove the validator.  Most late model soda machines have two cutouts.  If you need to add one to any Vendo machines then there is a special bracket for those secondary cutouts depending on the model of machine.  I have those brackets if you need any.

I forgot to add that you don't have to turn any credit card feature on in the machine.  All data is extracted from the MDB data stream.  Some machines won't properly report the DEX information so on those you won't have a 'card sales' report from the machine, only cash sales.

Thanks guys, randy ive been trying to reach you for some spirals. I remember a while back tou posted a sale for the units think they were alot cheaper

Thanks guys, randy ive been trying to reach you for some spirals. I remember a while back tou posted a sale for the units think they were alot cheaper

I haven't received any promos from USAT in quite some time.  They are reaching a pretty high penetration rate and they may not feel they need to offer any deals like they did before.  That's why you need to call and speak with them to see what they might offer now.

I'll be sending the spirals, etc. that you need.

a note on mounting... you can also get a replacement bezel for newer MEI/ Mars validators that includes the card swipe, if you have a machine without the second knockout, but they are pricey (about $200-250 just for the bezel) if ordered new.  Gives a nice look for more upscale locations, but a big investment.   Also, be prepared to drill a hole for the antenna on some installs.  Depending on the machine and the location, the antenna usually can be located inside and get a good signal but not always.  If the antenna is surrounded by metal and electronics on the inside the signal will likely be too poor to work properly.  The antenna bases that come with the units have magnets, but on exterior installations I use black Gorilla brand tape to seal and secure everything on top once I find the sweet spot for placement.  And yes do call USAT and discuss you options in person.  Last I spoke with them they had a 10 unit minimum on lease or rental...

Another note - with USAT ask them about the difference between a lease and a rental plan..... with both plans you end up owning the equipment at the end, with the rental plan you pay a little more but you have the option to end the rental with a small penalty if the readers don't work out for you....

I have used InOne (now Nayax), Crane, and USAT.  If you do not have your business on a computerized VMS yet, Nayax has the best backend software and you can manage inventory and even prekitting for those machines without any extra services.  Nayax sells their hardware and bills for service each month, with a dependable weekly deposit for sales.  USAT has good deals on rental or lease of the units and deducts all service and rental costs from sales before paying to your account.  Crane works but I'm not a big fan and they are the most expensive.  ParLevel is supposed to be coming out with their own cashless by the end of this year, if it works as well as their VMS software it will be very good, and the cost is supposed to be lower than all the others, we will see....

Parlevel is coming out with their own cashless? I don't see anything on their website about it...but you've had a good experience with their software??

Re ParLevel, yes I am implementing their VMS software now and I love it... the support network they provide is truly supportive, they have an ongoing IM chat room and I get answers and fixes in real time... let me not sound like a commercial for them if I can.... they are doing a lot of ongoing development and I understand that their own cashless may be a part of that soon, but I don't know what the timeline will look like or if they will decide to continue to partner with other providers instead.  If you are looking for something right now they are not providing the cashless portion at this time.  If you don't have a management software and want one, I would say give them a call.  I went with them in the beginning because they could handle all of my online and offline machines together in the same program, and for the offline machines they have predictive prekitting available.  I am still implementing but so far it all looks like it delivers what they promise....

Re ParLevel, yes I am implementing their VMS software now and I love it... the support network they provide is truly supportive, they have an ongoing IM chat room and I get answers and fixes in real time... let me not sound like a commercial for them if I can.... they are doing a lot of ongoing development and I understand that their own cashless may be a part of that soon, but I don't know what the timeline will look like or if they will decide to continue to partner with other providers instead.  If you are looking for something right now they are not providing the cashless portion at this time.  If you don't have a management software and want one, I would say give them a call.  I went with them in the beginning because they could handle all of my online and offline machines together in the same program, and for the offline machines they have predictive prekitting available.  I am still implementing but so far it all looks like it delivers what they promise....

I've been looking for software for a while now. They definitely look like they're worth checking into...Thanks!!!

I bought 5 g9's. What a pain in the arse. My BevMax 5591 hates them. Forget about putting them on any vendos. Be prepared to learn how to replace EPROMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a bad experience Allen.  NAMA needs to try to really pressure the manufacturers to make sure that everyone is fully compatible with all MDB products.

I bought 5 g9's. What a pain in the arse. My BevMax 5591 hates them. Forget about putting them on any vendos. Be prepared to learn how to replace EPROMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you try to put $1,000 worth of rims on a $500 car? 5591 is 90's technology. Is your computer still running Windows 95?

Archived